Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 bricked during factory reset

Registered Member
hjaeger

Lumia 920 bricked during factory reset

[ Edited ]

I wanted to reset my Lumia 920 to factory settings, so I used the reset function in the Settings/About

After 45 minutes the "cogs where still turning" on the screen, so I left the phone plugged in to my laptop over night. This morning, laptop was still on (so should be providing charge to the phone), but the phone/battery is completely dead

When pressing the power button, the screen shows the low battery with blinking power plug image to indicate that it has no power and is charging - however, it's been like that for over 2 hours now. If I try rebooting the phone (volume down + power) the phone reboots but goes straight to showing the low battery image

So the question is: what are my options? I live in Japan, where the Lumia has not been released so I cannot walk into a Nokia Care center to have it looked at - the phone was purchased in Singapore in December 2013)

Thanks,

Henrik

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove references to softwares mentioned in which use by an unauthorized person may cause unforeseen damage and may invalidate the warranty of the phone. We do not want members of our community to be encouraged to use these.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Chrisvn

Re: Lumia 920 bricked during factory reset

Had the same issue, no other way but to bring it in or try another reset.

By any chance is it impossible to mail it by post to a friend or maybe the store itself?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
screenproblem

try this out....volume down + power + camera key together. if is not work, repeating this and see what's going on........
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mattew

Having the exact same problem. But this happened when the phone went out of battery and wasn't able to charge again. Have been trying to charge it for three days now with no luck. I've been trying to restart it with volume down and power ...with charge cable connetcted otherwise it's completely dead. And I've been trying to reset it with charge+vol. down, vol. up, vol. down, power button, vol. down. Nothing happens and that battery icon remains, until I pull out the charge cable and the phone dies.

Is there anything more you can do?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
screenproblem

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mattew

I tried that three button combination a few times now. It just restarts and go back to the screen with empty battery and blinking cable...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Mattew wrote:
I tried that three button combination a few times now. It just restarts and go back to the screen with empty battery and blinking cable...

Put on charge for some 15-20 minutes..Then try the Reset again ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mattew

Thx for tip!
I tried it in vain. The phone restarts and get back to just showing the big battery icon. I have charged the phone for nearly three days now. Without the charge cable connected the phone is plain dead...
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Have you also tried to chrage via the charging plate?
This happened to me a while ago and doing that way somehow kicked the phone back to life.
I believe non Nokia charging plates work, as long as they conform to the QI standard. Maybe you can go in an electrical and try one if you don't have one.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

Sorry, hjaeger, new Nokia phones are no longer released in Japan as they have exited the Japanese market, though support for old phones are still available.

So your only choice is to call Nokia Care (Singapore) to verify your phone's IMEI number and bring the phone along with the valid Singapore proof of purchase (via airmail) to the Nokia Care outlet at HarbourFront Centre if they allowed you to for repairs or replacment.

Website 1:http://www.nokia.com/sg-en/support/contact/phone-us/?view=detail (don't forget to add +65 if you're using a cellphone)

Website 2: http://www.nokia.com/sg-en/store-finder/ (The Nokia Care Centre address for Singapore is in the 'Nokia Care Location' section.)

DO REMEMBER: Only Nokia Care can fully help you with the problem, we users in this peer-to-peer discussion board can advise you on how to solve problems later on your own. Also if Nokia Care (Singapore) don't allow you to airmail them your phone, then fly back to Singapore with the bricked Lumia 920 and visit the Nokia Care Centre at HarbourFront Centre as a last resort.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
drfauzims

i should have googled fhis frst before going for factory reset. Now my Lumia 920 stays as NOKIA with Blank Screen at the background. Why is that Windows Phone can be this lousy? I just do not understand. We are talking about a big software company here. i have done factory reset so many times with my Galaxy S.

Please use plain text.
ninetwenty

http://lumia920spinninggears.blogspot.in/2013/07/get-rid-of-spinning-gears-screen-of.html#comment-fo...

Monday, July 8, 2013

Get rid of Spinning gears Screen of lumia 920... A Solution that is 100% working

Once my Lumia 920  was messed up with lots of applications and I thought of Reset it from settings menu. When phone restarted, it struck at Spinning Gears screen. I waited for 20 minutes and then i took that to Nokia Care. The Care centre was going to close in evening and they said it takes 30-45 minutes to reboot. I came back, waited for 2 hours but phone was still struck at spinning gears. Battery got drained automatically, i plugged the charger and after some time, spinning gears started again . I waited for 30 minutes again and nothing happened and then I found the solution from Net and that works perfectly.... wolla phone is back to life..Ahhh.

Solution :
(  please read the steps first and then perform) :

1. While gears are spinning, Press VOLUME DOWN and POWER BUTTON together, keep pressed till phone goes blank, vibrates and NOKIA appears and then release the buttons.

2. Immediately press following buttons in sequence ONE by ONE i.e. press release..press release :

VOLUME UP
   VOLUME DOWN
    POWER
   VOLUME DOWN

after this, phone will restart or gears will continue to spin or you will feel you are struck at NOKIA...but it wont take more than 5 minutes and your phone will be back to life.

I DID IT and you will also.. Enjoy.

Please share if u find it useful.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vshyamsharma

activation problem for nokia lumia 920

Just added nokia account to the phone and it says "activation problem as phone is registered for unlimited music" and when there is no account it says signin to a nokia account to use all services. Not sure what needs to be done to resolve the problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: activation problem for nokia lumia 920

@ vshyamsharma - You need to contact Nokia Support 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
palawanproperty

has this actually wored for anybody else? i am on my third attempt and i am starting to have my doubts. 

Please use plain text.
musica

Hi. How did it go? Did the phone boot up eventually?

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
venom01

i tried reseting my nokia lumia 920 because i sold the phone but now i cant get the gears to stop can anyone help on how to fix this PLEASE
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Monitor

this does work. thanks Dharminder Bhatnagar

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fagnerflosi

[ Edited ]

ninetwenty e dharminder bhatnagar, it worked to me!

Thank you very much!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
luckyducky91292

OMG ninetwenty i f**king love u it work lol yes yes thanks a milli

Please use plain text.