Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 can't send text messages

leotran

Lumia 920 can't send text messages

I got my Lumia 920 and sent a few texts but found that if you type past 2 messages in one session and try to send, it comes back as saying it can't send. I tried resending but it won't go. 

To send, I had to copy the message, delete the message, paste it in the field then resend. That works.

An update for the SMS+Messaging app came a few days ago but hasn't fixed the problem cause I tried sending a 3 message text and it did the same thing. Had to again copy the message, delete then send quickly.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Might be a network issue, or that your SIM card isn't cut properly and isn't fitting in the tray properly. I've had the same issue myself, but I've had it in miniSIM size on my Nokia N8 too....it's not my number, but definitely my network. Just one of those things where sometimes you have to keep tapping "Try again" until it sends, the darn thing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

what carrier are you using it on?

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wangqinfi

This also happened to me. If I send several messages on the row, then some of the messages will come back to me with saying 'Try Again'. After push 2 or 3 times, those failed messages can be sent again.  I have unistalled the skype, but the problems still continue. Any way to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Sage
slashd0t

YES.  Lots of people are having this issue myself included.. I don't see this as being a carrier problem as it's so wide spread.  I'll have 3 bars and I see 20% of my SMS's fail and up to 80% of my MMS's fail.. 

Lumia 920/N9

Previous Life: N8, N95, 8600, 8800 Sapphire Arte, N97, N97-Mini, 5800 and a few older ones :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
sirplus

This happens to me A LOT with my Nokia Lumina 920 W8

It's a bug with my Nokia Lumina 920 phone for sure

I'm with Telstra and I can reproduce even if I have 4 or 5 bars of 4G.

I have been sending masssive texts from my LG W7 phone for the last 2 years and never seen this.

I get it when I send from my house as well which means I have sent thousands of texts from the same location without problem. Now the problems happen from the very day I get this new phone.

I expected better from Nokia.

To make it happen just send any message/s less than 1 long. THEN send any sms/mms longer than 1 message.

My workaround.

power the phone down by holding down the (centre RHS) side button and sliding the screen down.

Power the phone back up

go to the failed message and hit resend

Works 100% only is a pain in the neck.

Hope Nokia fix this soon or I will take the phone back and try a samsung......

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pamelaz

I have the same ongoing problem here.  I have AT&T and I can be at full bars with LTE, or even on wifi and I get this error. I hit "try again" multiple times but it gets bounced back.  Sometimes I have to restart my phone, then it will send perfectly fine.  Very annoying when I'm trying to send a text and can't... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Same Problem here, but when I set off Wifi than it works... After waiting few minutes, I can set on Wifi and it works fine too. So Nokia or MS has to fix the switch between the networks I guess.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Daniel_i89

I've found that switching my data connection on allows to send longer messages. Not too much of a big deal, but still annoying. I didn't have this problem on my 800. Nokia should find a way to fix this ASAP

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zass

Same with me. Will often get "try again" when trying to send a text message. Can we please get a reply from Nokia on this issue? This is making the phone unusable to me, and I may have to switch back to my samsung focus :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dizy

I'm having the same problem - can received sms but most of the time can't send.  Never had this problem on my Nokia N97 mini.  When is it going to be fixed?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fattikus

I am having the same problems too, also my friends all with the lumia 920, same problem too.... nice bug nokia!! a 650 euro unlocked phone with bugs! come on fix it..

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

Sirplus wrote:

This happens to me A LOT with my Nokia Lumina 920 W8

It's a bug with my Nokia Lumina 920 phone for sure

I'm with Telstra and I can reproduce even if I have 4 or 5 bars of 4G.

I have been sending masssive texts from my LG W7 phone for the last 2 years and never seen this.

I get it when I send from my house as well which means I have sent thousands of texts from the same location without problem. Now the problems happen from the very day I get this new phone.

I expected better from Nokia.

To make it happen just send any message/s less than 1 long. THEN send any sms/mms longer than 1 message.

My workaround.

power the phone down by holding down the (centre RHS) side button and sliding the screen down.

Power the phone back up

go to the failed message and hit resend

Works 100% only is a pain in the neck.

Hope Nokia fix this soon or I will take the phone back and try a samsung......

Here's the official statement from Nokia Australia:

“We’ve looked into this and can confirm that the Telstra variant of the Nokia Lumia 920 converts messages longer than 160 characters into MMS format before being sent. MMS’s are charged at a different rate than SMS’s. We are working with Telstra as a matter of urgency to correct this configuration and expect to address this in a software update in the next few weeks. In the meantime, you can avoid sending unintended MMS’s by keeping an eye out for the MMS notification above the on-screen keyboard when composing a message. We apologise for any frustrations or inconvenience this has caused."

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
R_huey46

I'm having this problem and it's really irritating me, every few messages I send it fails with the "can't send" error. It's a normal text message under 160 characters.

Red Lumia 920 from Phones4U on Orange UK.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SamWilderspin

[ Edited ]

I'm having similar problems and they do not occur when signal is poor, it is constant:

Frequently texts fail, it asks if you want to send again... then recipients get multiple messages. If it fails and you don't 'send again' there's no way of knowing if it actually sent or not - even that is inconsistent. Message size is not relevant.

Less frequently, I have signal, someone calls but my phone doesn't ring - they go straight to voicemail and I immediately getting a text saying I had a missed call.

I'm on Orange/EE 3G contract. I've had a new handset, a new sim, multiple things tried over the phone when talking to Orange. All useless.

The most recent line was, this is a Nokia problem, we'll call you Monday, we might try a 'signal booster' (though, it's clearly not a signal strength problem) and/or Nokia will give an update. And the said if I don't hear back, get a new handset, new ones might work. Total rubbish.

Premium phone, premium contract. Not even got basic functionality.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_thalamus

Interesting.

That does sound like the baseband modem issue that I mentioned in another thread about 5 mins ago.

Sometimes the modem seems to go out to lunch and stop responding which causes calls and texts simply not to work. Toggling flight mode or rebooting resolves the issue.

My reasoning for believing it is a modem issue is:

• It occurs randomly with a decent signal at various locations which appears to rule out a network issue.
  • When it occurs and you toggle flight mode on, it takes ages for flight mode to enable, which I suspect is the OS waiting for the modem to respond to the shutdown request which times out so the modem CPU is forcibly reset.

This isn't fixed with portico btw.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

R_huey46 wrote: 

I'm having this problem and it's really irritating me, every few messages I send it fails with the "can't send" error. It's a normal text message under 160 characters.

Do you have signal when you send these text messages? Is this always happening? Tried to reboot the phone or pressing the volume down and powerkey for about 10 secs. 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

SamWilderspin wrote:

..Frequently texts fail, it asks if you want to send again... then recipients get multiple messages. If it fails and you don't 'send again' there's no way of knowing if it actually sent or not - even that is inconsistent. Message size is not relevant...

You can try to perform soft reset by pressing the volume down and power key for about 10 secs. and then check if it's still happening. If there's no changes, reset might fix the issue. But make sure you perform a backup before perofrming a reset. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_thalamus

jekiboi20 wrote:

You can try to perform soft reset by pressing the volume down and power key for about 10 secs. and then check if it's still happening. If there's no changes, reset might fix the issue. But make sure you perform a backup before perofrming a reset. 

Not really helpful in this case. A soft reset will resolve it until the next time the modem goes out to lunch, but isn't a solution.

A hard reset will do precisely nothing to fix the issue.

Please use plain text.
Ameersyahmi

I also had the same issue when i try to I send 5 message long to brief about a debate topic to 9 peoples. Also almost everyone of them complaint that its empty and they receive more than ten of the empty messages. At times, when I include a phone number in the message, the debaters said they receive it as a mms.

hope they fix this problem fast

Please use plain text.