Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 drivers for Windows (desktop) 7

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Lumia 920 drivers for Windows (desktop) 7

Hello

Just got the Lumia 920

Wanted to sync it with Zune, but when I plug it in my computer, it can't find the drivers for the L920.

Any help anyone?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Lumia 920 drivers for Windows (desktop) 7

hey dietervanmrcke

with the windowsphone8 you do not need zune to transfer files. as soon as you connect with the usb, it should just automatically load the drivers, like previous nokia devices, and then it will show up in the "computers:" as a drive.

then you can transfer directly what ever you would like to the device.

hope that helps.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply.

I know that it *should* do that, but it can't find the drivers.  Maybe this is more a Windows than a Nokia problem though...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

Do you get a pop up in the bottom corner when you connect it?

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

When I connected my 920 to my Win7 PC i also failed to install certain drivers but It did offer to install an application called Windowsphone.exe, which in turn loaded the correct drivers for the phone.

I've attached the file in case you don't already have it.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, the normal popup that you get when attaching new hardware. It installed "windows phone 8" and "usb drive" but not the two "Nokia Lumia 920" drivers
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I assume you are not running Windows 8 but an earlier version of Windows, I had no such problems. On Windows 8, it doesn't even come up with the installing drivers message, just asked me what I wanted to do with the device and appeared as a Portable Media device in Windows Explorer.

If you are still having those problems, perhaps there will be drivers available via Windows Update. Ensure you are connected to the Internet so that Windows can find drivers for your device if it can't find anything locally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

dietervanmarcke wrote:
Yes, the normal popup that you get when attaching new hardware. It installed "windows phone 8" and "usb drive" but not the two "Nokia Lumia 920" drivers

Same with me on Windows 7 but without doing anything it got connected after about a couple of minutes on its own ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
francisrmd

I have the same driver problems...What about if you have DRM enabled music that you can only sync with Zune?  I have about 1000 songs that I've 'subscribed' to with Zune on my WP7 devices, but I've lost them all by buying the Lumia 920 and not being able to load Zune. 

Please use plain text.
MBeverley

I have same problem on win7 x64 sp. Seems reported by quite a few others, I am stuck not being to connect my new 920 phone by USB and copy data, files and music. Zune worked perfectly for my older windows phone, now this is a big step backwards in experince for the new 920 phone.

The lumia 920 device is not discovered properly when connected via USB, device manager says there are driver errors, I've seen MTP and USB drivers reported to be the problem in various stages of troubleshoting, but the the new windows phone app does not provide drivers, and windows updates does not discover or repair them.

This is perhaps the best thread I have found descriving the issue exactly.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/nokia-lumia-920-driver-error/51ced12c-...

How can I more formally get support on this vs posting in forums?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
svend_32

I have this same problem.  Is there a driver I can just download for the Lumia 920 to install?  I've tried everything else listed on both threads and this is just dumb.  Where is the driver?  

Please use plain text.
MBeverley

I solved my problem by doing an inplace reinstall of the OS, to fix USB driver errors I could not resolve with windows update. In the end I was seeing messaged relating to composite USB driver, WinUSB driver, MTP driver, it varied.

I don't know if I had USB issues on my lenovo T410 before I connected the lumia the first time, (I don't think so), or whether it was because I had windows update blocked/turned off by administrator initially (could have thrown off the whole install process), and/or subsequent delete and attempted reinstall of drivers just messed things up further.

Anyway, now up and running, even though I had to reinstall all my win7 apps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mika_Laurens

Solution for people face Qualcomm MSM drivers is :

-Try installing nokia pc suite, or plug others Nokia with symbian that have usb setting "connect to pc suite" because a driver will be automatically installed and change Qualcomm MSM to RM-821 Lumia 920 (but still asking for driver)

This driver's issue makes me so frustating for a day!

But, finally because of luck, i found the solution, please try my solution:

- Connect Lumia 920 via usb

- Then open wifi

- Connect to internet

- Open phone's setting

- Open Phone Update

- Check for updates. At this time, windows 7 will automatically install driver for Lumia 920 (the installation is something about Winusb driver) - then after installation, in device manager rm-821 nokia lumia 920 will change to Nokia USB Connectivity

- DONE

Hope this can help you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
enigmakaulitz

steps that i followed

1. get windows app .exe for windows 7 pc

2.  : IMP: ENSURE YOUR PHONE INTERNET EXPLORER IS SWITCHED ON

THEN connect your phone via usb

3. the required driver is installed automatically from the internet connection available in your pc and phone (both internet connection should be open )

4. GOOD LUCK !

Please use plain text.
Advisor
borcsi

[ Edited ]

Here's what worked for me:

1. Go to Microsoft Update download catalog page (link works only in IE) http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

2. Search for 'Windows Phone WinUSB'

3. Add the driver to cart and proceed to checkout

4. Download the file to some directory

5. Extract downloaded .cab file with eg. Winzip

6. In Device manager click 'Update driver', 'Browse for sw', search for the directory you extracted the files and click Next.

7. The "RM-821|Nokia Lumia 920" will be replaced by "Windows Phone WinUSB"

do the same for the second device and there you go.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TR3MBLETT

I was having the same issue, Was about to return the phone.....
but my issue was because I was plugging the phone in to my computers front USB ports (These are treated as USB hubs), and the phone did not like the front USB ports to load the driver. When I connected my phone to the rear USB ports it installed the driver right away, I am now (Because the driver is installed) able to use the front USB ports.

Not 100% sure if this needed to be installed first.... but either way this link is for the windows phone app for desktop

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

hope this helps.....

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
letsnog

[ Edited ]

TR3MBLETT wrote:

but my issue was because I was plugging the phone in to my computers front USB ports (These are treated as USB hubs), and the phone did not like the front USB ports to load the driver. When I connected my phone to the rear USB ports it installed the driver right away, I am now (Because the driver is installed) able to use the front USB ports.

Not 100% sure if this needed to be installed first.... but either way this link is for the windows phone app for desktop

hope this helps.....

Thanks, worked great for me :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pratikvdoshi

TR3MBLETT wrote:

hope this helps.....

This is the real issue and solution. I tried all other but didnt work. Did this one and scanned for hardware changes in Windows 7 PC device manager and it picked up the drivers immediately. Kudos to TR3MBLETT

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Rehhoff

[ Edited ]

Hey i know this is late but it solved it for me.

go to device manager -> find your lumia -> right click remove -> yes -> reconnect device fixed for me

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rgchihanga

This is the the procedure to get your windows phone recognised

1 go to device manager

2 right click on device and choose update driver

3 choose browse computer for driver software

4 choose let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

5 choose portable devices

6 choose standard MTP device

7 choose MTP USB device