Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 email wav file attachment won't play

mhunter6378

Lumia 920 email wav file attachment won't play

I receive all my work voicemails through my exchange email account as a wav file attachment. I have always been able to open and play these with my previous phones but they won't play on the 920, it says "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone".

Is there some app I need to enable playback of wav files? All my previous phones just handled these files natively.

Please use plain text.
bigcurefan

Ouch!  It's my second day having my 920 and I've noticed the same thing.  I'm not able to play voicemail wav from email.  What gives?!  My old Samsung Focus WP7.5 could play WAV's.  Heck, the spec details for the 920 even say it's an approved audio format.  Help us!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
F0DD3R

WP7 and 7.5 did not have this issue.  My Nokia  900 played the wav voicemail attachments just fine.  Our business has three Nokia 920s and they all have this issue.  I am not sure if it is unique to the Nokia 920 or if all WP8 phones have the issue.  I would have thought someone would have caught this issue before.  We are using Microsoft front to back.

Please use plain text.
UtopianThomas

You would think that WP8 would play the wav file, since its a Microsoft file format.  I have read that the wav playing feature was removed.  Bad move by Microsoft, especially since this phone is being push as a enterprise phone and most enterprises use Cisco Unity phone systems that save voicemail as WAV.  It like they take a step forward and then a big leap backwards.

Maybe, they will put it back, but I doubt it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Philp

We run Cisco Unity here at work, and without the ability the play Wav files I cannot suggest any of my users pickup with the 920. Which is ashame because I think its a great phone. This will need to be fixed before windows 8  can be a viable enterprise level phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear the problems you are having. As this is predominantly a user to user forum only, you would have better luck leaving your feedback directly with Microsoft via the link below:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

[ Edited ]

I was surpised to see this thread. The specs show it's available for both playback and recording.

So I emailled a Wav file to my 920 downloaded the attachment and it played perfectly well from the email, with no other steps/apps.

Did the wav file complete downloading before you tried palying it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

+1 on my Lumia 920 being able to play .WAV's. I've just done as Rich did and emailed myself a WAV and it downloaded and played perfectly.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

All 20+GB of my music on the 920 are wav files and they all play perfectly fine.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cookmi1

I'm having the same issue. Voicemail messages that are .wav files won't play., but if i email myself a .wav file it plays. The voicemail message will not play though, just says this file can  not be played on this phone.

Please use plain text.
bigcurefan

Did some investigating.  You can load your non-playing wav files through AVIcodec (http://avicodec.duby.info) to determine which AVI codec is being used.

My Nokia 920 plays MS PCM encoded wavs just fine.  But our Unity voicemail is coming over as CCITT u-law (G.711Mu-Law) encoded.  It seems WP8 dropped support for it?!

Please use plain text.
peteguz

Hey guys, I had the same problem on my Lumia 920. All my work voicemail gets emailed to me and attached is a wav file with the voicemail. Here was the solution that worked for me. I logged into my hvoice VoIP admin portal (or whoever your IP phone service provider is) and in the voicemail settings there was an option to change the voicemail audio format from .wav49 (which is a smaller version of wav) to regular .wav (more compatible, but larger version of wav). They had it set to default to .wav49 because it is a smaller file. After switching it to just regular .wav my voicemail attachments play just fine. I would suggest contacting your VoIP provider or your system administrator to see if they can change that for you and any other employees with Lumia 920's. See my attachments for what the settings looked like for me.

Now the only problem I have is how to play those voicemails over the ear speaker instead of over the large speakers so everyone around doesn't have to hear my messages. Not sure how to adjust that or if it's possible.

Please use plain text.
E1iz4beth

I just got Verizon FiOS home phone service and they send out VM using .wav attachments also. I hope Nokia is looking into this and has a fix coming soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tlanphear

I was having a similar issue from company voicemails that come through email via unified messaging on Cisco Unity 8.5.  I changed the codec in the Unity system to PCM and now it works.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Marathon14

Still wont play .wav messages from verizon after update last night.

This is poor planning on Microsoft and Nokia's part.

Mat make me take this phone back anmd stick to android..

Please use plain text.
kvatnani

Hello,

i got Vonage voicemail .wav  files and the message comes:

"Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone."

I email again this email and file still doesn't work.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Frankprivat

Hello

the cause is an error of Microsoft Windows Phone 8th
I hope it will be repaired soon with an update.
Until then, I'll help myself to the service of:
http://www.phoneconvert.com
It must be set up once, then it's always automatic.

Greetings
Frank
(Germany)

Leben und leben lassen.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kurtd

Nokia Lumia 920 cannot play WAV files sent from our ShoreTel system.  This needs to be fixed ASAP or we can't use WP8.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dkaplan137

Same problem! Hard to believe MS hasn't fixed it yet! Get on this please, before WP8 & Lumia 920 are abandoned by disgruntled users.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ninehundro

I have the same problem.  I can play "older" .wav files on my Lumia 920, but ones from work e-mail messages will not play on my phone.

-Paul
Please use plain text.