Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 freezes/crashes during the night. Can't ...

sarathmoh

My Lumia 920 freezes/crashes during the night. Can't trust its clock alarm.

Its been one month i bought this phone and my phone freezes many of the times irrespective of day ann night. Now iam fear to use the phone itself. seems i have made a mistake buying this phone....can anyone help me out to come out of this freezing problems in 920. i always do a hard reset ot soft reset. this shouldn't be the way a phone should work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DeMoren

Re: Lumia 920 freezes/crashes during the night. Can't trust its clock alarm.

Hello. My lumia 920 also freezes during the night. I am from Ukraine and had bought unbranded version on 22 of February.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ShamiShah

I have 2 Lumia 920. One has crashed several times while on charging and on the other hand other never had problems. I opened up setting on both and saw I had power saving turned on on the phone with problems and not on other.

So I just turned off power saving and lets see if this phone crashes again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
metronise

I took ownership of my new Lumia 920 (Telstra / Australia) on Friday.  Everything was perfect, but on Saturday morning the phone was dead as a doornail when I woke. (The phone had a full charge, and was not connected to charger during the night).  I tried charging, power button etc. but it appeared to be fried during the night. 

On Sunday I tried the soft reset, and it came back to life with everything still loaded. However, again this morning (Monday), I woke to having overslept and the phone again being dead.  Same procedure (soft reset), same result.

I have this morning reset the phone to factory settings (settings / about), and have re-installed my apps and left out any apps which could impact power like connectivity shortcuts and battery.  I will see if this resolves the issue, but will make sure to set a 2nd alarm for just in case....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Marcanti

[ Edited ]

3 months have passed and my Lumia 920 still crashes on me almost every night... The Lumia 920 is a big, heavy piece of **bleep**! I regret buying this buggy phone.

and now it cannot even connect to the Microsoft account... It keep saying "The Microsoft account service is not accessible"... I hate this phone!

Also, I used its GPS while in Brazil, and it was very inacurate! Sometimes it took ages to get the GPS signal, even when in open spaces.

I would not recommend anyone to buy this phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
digihill

Not true. I have the same problem. So do many others. Look at other threads about freezing. Nokia will not accept the deep problem with thihs phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
npoe

Mine is crashing too, but I do not why. It is random but it has never happened to me over night.

It can be an application or something. Hopefully someone will find out or Nokia will give an answer.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dunworkin

Re: Lumia 920 freezes/crashes

I to am having problems with the phone freezing not just at night although if I leave it on the charging pad it usually does freeze, but it also happens during the day. The phone has been returned to the dealer and nothing was done basically the thing was just returned to me after 14 days.  The hardware is the same version etc.  We have two of these phones and the other has only done it once in two months.  Mine however has a large number of apps loaded and I use the cloud update of contacts diary etc so I suspect it is to do with usage.   Nokia just want the phone returned again but I can't afford to be without it for the next few weeks.   Fortunatly according to consumer affairs I can return it for a credit if it is not satisfactory.  Either they replace it or I will return it.  Since it is an intermittent fault chances are they will not do anything and I will just get it back yet again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
npoe

I uninstalled Skype and so far it hasn't restarted. I suspect of the notification function but I'll test after several days of not having freezing problems.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

Is there any Lumia 920/820 user who dares to use his phone as an alarm clock to wake him up for an exam in the morning? If there are any I salute you for your bravery sir!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gssimoesbr

Interesting, i cant see any nokia answer here. What is the nokia forum for???
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
xaviertidus

heulaup wrote:
Is there any Lumia 920/820 user who dares to use his phone as an alarm clock to wake him up for an exam in the morning? If there are any I salute you for your bravery sir!

YOLO by Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bartolini

The same situation here... Phone is branded to PlusGSM (Poland) and crashes 1-2 times a day (also after overnight charging)... I noticed that it happes the most frequent after I take some pictures and leave the phone with locked screen (pictures are automatically updated to SkyDrive in the best quality). I left the phone at Nokia Care point at my city and will see how they can (or cannot) help me. I also felt unhelpful atitude at Nokia Care point, the guy was opening my SIM tray with a paperclip (I can see all the scratches he did in my imagination...), and he also said that thay cannot "unbrand" my phone from PlusGSM to unbranded... I'm C# developer and I was counting on Nokia with WP8, not it's disappointing me... why Nokia, why...? :-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ungarooooh

SOLUTION FOUND!

The soft reset (hold power button and volume down for 10 - 30 seconds) will restart your Nokia phone but it will just die again. You need the Nokia Software Updater for Retail to flash the latest firmware to your Nokia phone. There are many sites advertising this software but all of them that I found require registration and/or downloading of additional software. You can download the working retail version 2.0.6 here -- without registration and without any additional garbage software. It will update itself to 3.0.4 (or the most current version). I have run it on Windows 8 and Windows 7, connected to my unlocked Lumia 920 (RM-821_apac_philippines_388) and it works great. Firmware updated (to version 1232.5957.1308.0001) and it hasn't shut down since! :-) Please consider donating to the site owner (me) if saves your expensive Lumia 920 phone. But at least please mark this as helpful if it saved your phone like it did mine.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shaokid

I left my s3 for the lumia. have had it now for 1 week and have had to soft reset it 3 times already, Two of those times were during words with friends game.

I think the hphone is good for its speed in making calls and opening apps (which is why i moved to this phone as s3 was always too laggy). However the frreezing issue has me bothered,. I am thinking about goping back to my s3 or just trying to HTC one.

nokia need to fix these freeze up issues asap

Please use plain text.
edwinbraga

Re: Lumia 920 freezes/crashes

[ Edited ]
I think we have related problems.

miguelangelcv wrote:

I have the same problem :crying:

I bought my Lumia 920 20 days ago. But after a few days of buy it, my phone crashes during the night (every day). At the next morning I need to do a Soft-Reset to be able to use it again. I thought it was due to WP8 error that would be solved with the next update, but I'm sick of this.

What's should I do? Wait for the February's update or send it to a Nokia Care point?

Just bought my nokia lumia 920 from memo express, and on the 3rd day suddenly its screen says resuming with the 5dots running from left to right then suddenly screen turns black and never resumes again. i brought it to memo express on the 5th day due to busy schedule to have the unit replaced but instead recommended me to bring it to nokia care. A day after got it back and was told it was reset. Luckily, i have saved my contacts and messages at microsoft account and got it back from the cloud after connecting to wifi. But it happened again after about a month, this time the screen turns black with the word nokia at the center and unresponsive. So i tried to search the web and found links telling me to hard reset or force reboot. What i do was to hold the volume down button together with  the power button and the micosoft white logo at the front and it luckily it powered on and no data or apps were  deleted. i dont know if this is considered force reboot bec no data was deleted. I hope this could help wp or nokia 920 users. Sorry to say, i didnt experience this on my samsung note 2 running android os platform which i bought the day my nokia 920 crashes. It never crashes even if it contains more photos,music n videos compared to the windows phone. Speaking on experience, i love using nokia because my old celphones were nokia using symbian os platform and were all very durable. So i was quite frustrated with the lumia 920 because my expectations were not fulfilled. But cant blame nokia for this because i think this is windows software problem. I hope microsoft focuses more on this software problem issue otherwise people will lose a lot of confidence on using windows phone.     

Moderator's note: We have removed multiple qoutes on this post. 

Please use plain text.