Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 images are not sharp

Counsellor
barareklam

Well I just read a article on http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16286_Camera_phone_head_to_head_Noki.php

where they compare N8 to 920.

I do not know about you guys but I mainly use my phone for party pictures. That will be nr 4 and nr 5 in this article. If I  need some architectural or "proffesional" or other vacation pictures I use "real" camera, which I usually do not bring with me when I am out with some friends. So for me is "party" category most important and Lumia 920 does not do good job there. A bit dissaopointed after a "upgrade" from two years old Nokia N8 that new 920 produce pictures that are not sharp and skin tones looks like plastic. 

I can confirm that in night mode, there is some witch craft in 920 to lighten up the image :-) but as I told you guys I take mainly "party" pictures with mobile and those moments dissapper in seconds, and it is usually too late for re-take, I can take many pictures when shooting some landscape images, so please Nokia, fix that human moments looks good in 920 camera too, thanks ! Searching on internet shows me that there are a lot of people having same problems !

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

It's not 

barareklam wrote:

Well I just read a article on http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16286_Camera_phone_head_to_head_Noki.php

where they compare N8 to 920.

I do not know about you guys but I mainly use my phone for party pictures. That will be nr 4 and nr 5 in this article. If I  need some architectural or "proffesional" or other vacation pictures I use "real" camera, which I usually do not bring with me when I am out with some friends. So for me is "party" category most important and Lumia 920 does not do good job there. A bit dissaopointed after a "upgrade" from two years old Nokia N8 that new 920 produce pictures that are not sharp and skin tones looks like plastic. 

I can confirm that in night mode, there is some witch craft in 920 to lighten up the image :-) but as I told you guys I take mainly "party" pictures with mobile and those moments dissapper in seconds, and it is usually too late for re-take, I can take many pictures when shooting some landscape images, so please Nokia, fix that human moments looks good in 920 camera too, thanks ! Searching on internet shows me that there are a lot of people having same problems !

It's not witch craft.  It's just a little purposeful over exposure wich is accomplished through high iso sensitivity, a fast f/2.0 lense and image stabalization.  

You can do the same thing in manual mode on a DSLR camera.  Though if I were shooting night shots with a dslr camera I'd probably choose to make a more natural to the eye shot.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
strayside

I'm late to the thread, but I have to agree with the compression theory. Image looks great in preview then fuzzy once taken. I've taken numerous photos with both 16:9 and 4:3 and compared side-by-side...there is no comparison--the 4:3 photos are MUCH sharper. I have to think this is something that can be fixed with a s/w or f/w update.  I can't say conclusively that the 4:3 images aren't softer than the preview window, but it's clear that they are sharper than the 16:9 images.

For those that think it's UE, I suggest you test before you type. :smileyhappy:

Anyone hear of any official acknowledgement from Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

michail71 wrote:

It's not 

It's not witch craft.  It's just a little purposeful over exposure wich is accomplished through high iso sensitivity, a fast f/2.0 lense and image stabalization.  

You can do the same thing in manual mode on a DSLR camera.  Though if I were shooting night shots with a dslr camera I'd probably choose to make a more natural to the eye shot.

So if you want a dark scene to look naturally dark as your eyes see it are there any settings on the 920 to achieve this? Not everybody wants a night scene to look like day.

Please use plain text.
dht1986

I have been using my Lumia 920 for a week, and updated to the new software almost right away. What I have seen from the phone is an inabiilty to lock focus on objects at a distance in good lighting conditions. When half pressing the shutter button, a white rectangle should blink around the focus point, and then become solid when a focus is found. At that point, when you complete the button push it should take a sharp picture, which in my experience it does. HOWEVER, often when taking pictures of objects at a distance, it never finds this focus point, and the rectangle just disappears altogether. I can see it trying to find the focus, and it even seems to pass through it, but ultimately when the picture is snapped, it is not in focus. I've tried to manually tap a focus point and the same thing happens. This failure is somewhat unpredictable, as sometimes just changing the angle a bit is all it needs to find a focus (see attachments).

Anyone else have this behavior? Frustrating because nearly every picture that comes out when the phone is actually focused has been excellent.

Please use plain text.
N0kiaL0ver

Lumia 920 images are not sharp when zooming

Pictures taken with my Lumia 920 are not sharp when viewed after zooming. I find this extremely disappointing. Similar pictures taken with the Samsung Galaxy S3 are much sharper when you zoom into them at 100%.

Even my Nokia X7 pictures are so much sharper when zooming in..

Can you please fix this Nokia Support?

I am an amateur photographer and I understand photopgraphy. I know how to use the focus button and there is no protection sticker on my camera lens.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kensw87

I just got a Nokia Lumia 920 as well and I have the same problem. The picture looks fine in the preview/viewfinder, but when the picture is taken, the photo becomes soft/blurry and when zoomed in, there is no detail at all.

i have the latest software when I check for updates on my phone

Please use plain text.
Rygar

I purchased the phone over the weekend from AT&T and noticed the blurry photo immediately. I can actually never really get a good photo. I went to the zoo with my kids and my daughter has a nokia 820. We both took numerous photos of the same objects and her pictures where always much clearer even though the pictures where a third of the size. I have uploaded two pictures

WP_20130120_055.jpg - this is taken with the Lumia 820

WP_20130120_011.jpg - this picture was taken by my Lumia 920

As you can see, the quality is like night and day. If I cant find a solution for this, i will be returning it it AT&T. I really like the phone but I bought this model because the camera was supposd to be so good, biy was I let down. Come on Nokia, fix this issue, its not acceptable.

Please use plain text.
dht1986

Yup, thats exactly the problem I've had with the focus. I tried someone else's Lumia 920 this week, and it focused without a problem, and so it must be a flaw with the phone. I will try to have mine replaced.

In the meanwhile, try the CameraPro app. You can manually focus to infinity to capture landscapes, and when I do this the pictures are very sharp

Please use plain text.
Rygar

[ Edited ]

Here are another set of photos I took. This time its with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Lumia 920. 

WP_20130122_005.jpg - is from my Lumia 920 all settings on auto

20130122_084109.jpg - is from the Samsung Galaxy S3 

As you can see the Lumia 920's image is VERY blurry :smileysad: 

NOKIA, are you listening????

Please use plain text.
waka_nut

I have tried taking comparison photos with 820 and 920 and the 820 images appear sharper in daylight - not so inside. The file size is also always larger which would suggest the 920 is compressing the images more hence the apparent reduction in quality and sharpness. It would be good to have the option to determine the compression amount.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

The same issue is happening with my 620. At first i thought the problem lies with the focus or lens, now I know it's a common problem.
Please use plain text.
kengzz

I have the same problem too when I used auto mode It's very blurry and out of focus.
:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Any news about the update for the sharpness?
Please use plain text.
Rygar

I took my phone back to the AT&T store I bought it from and it took me quite some time to convince them that the photos had an issue. The guy at the store was comparing my photos to his lumia 920 photos we where taking in the store and they where the same, he didnt realize that his phone has the same issue :smileyindifferent . I finaly took caprative photos with the phones on the display and he eventually saw the difference and was not too happy that his phone has an issue as well. They swapped my phone for a new one and my pictures have not been better, love the phone now. So I suspect that this is not a software update but rather may actually be a hardware issue so good luck in gettings yours swapped out, my advice, take lots of coparatiove photos with you as back up and use the phones in the store to compare shots with. Good luck

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Any news about the new software update?
Please use plain text.
aleisha11

ElvinTeo wrote:
Any news about the new software update?

It's still currently rolling out. Please see here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Information-for-customers-with-Nokia-Lumia-820-and-... 

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bruce_x_lee

Have you tried this app called HD Photo Viewer?

http://www.wpcentral.com/tag/hd-photo-viewer

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ElvinTeo

Thankyou aleisha11 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
UserN8

Purchased the phone this month, june 2013.

Lumia 920's after capture processing is not that good, the way it is being marketed as one of the best optical performances in terms of imaging, it doesn't live up to the expectations that much, maybe a software glitch and nothing related to hardware, my nokia n8 prduces much sharper and rich in contrast images, a bit disappointed after purchase but hopefully Nokia will do something about it..!!

Please use plain text.