Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 - inserting SIM card while power is on

screen_name

Lumia 920 - inserting SIM card while power is on

I have vague memory that when I first took my Nokia Lumia 920 into use, I turned the phone on first without the SIM card just to check if the phone works, then I supposedly turned the phone off again in order to insert the SIM card.

However, I'm not completely sure that did I actually turn the phone off, or just locked it, before inserting the SIM card. It's possible that I - as a new user - accidentally only put the phone into "lock mode" (short press of the lock/power button) before inserting the SIM card.

The phone and SIM card both work fine, but it still does bother me a bit, so I'd like to ask about this possible scenario (step-by-step description):

1. The phone is a freshly unpacked, brand new Lumia 920, so it does NOT have a SIM card.

2. The phone is powered ON and it is in the "locked state" (short press of the lock/power button), so the display and all lights are off.

3. SIM card is inserted into the phone (while the phone is ON, but in "locked state").

4. The phone is "woken up" by pressing the lock/power button.

Can there be any harm to the phone itself from the scenario described above? How about the SIM card? (The SIM card doesn't matter much though.)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Lumia 920 - inserting SIM card while power is on

I would be very surprised if the phone has suffered any harm from it. Nothing can happen to the SIM from that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@screen_name

I wouldn't have cause fo concern as unless SIM is in place when device is powered up it won't be recognised, if you want to change SIM you have to reboot the device.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Aspergerguy is correct here. While there is no harm done by 'hot swapping' a SIM you will have to reboot for the new SIM to be used.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Out of practice always power of any phone doing a sim change Prevention is better than cure!!But everything will be fine as mentioned.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I am fairly sure II did this to an 800 ( and other phones ) to no ill effect to the phones or the card and have removed a Sim without phone being fully shut off, also to no ill effect. It's not brightest idea but no harm was done.

Please use plain text.
screen_name

Thanks for the replies so far.

It seems pretty much confirmed that there is probably no risk of damage to the phone (Lumia 920) in the scenario I described in the opening post (phone turned on without a SIM card, then insert a SIM card while the phone is still turned on and in "locked state" (short press of lock/power button)).

Does anyone have differing opinion and/or knowledge on this, or can I rest assured that there can't be harm to the phone itself from that? (I'm not worried about the SIM card, as it would be easy to replace if needed.)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Its fine,one thing where something can go wrong is when people a rough with exchanging sim cards just be patient and do it gently and all will be ok.
Ive seen people change sims especially phones that have sim trays and attack it and it bends or the tray would fall on ground get damaged or the sim would go elsewhere.
I still suggest power off phone first just to be extra safe,so you can relax and enjoy your phone.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.