Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 - intermittently shuts off / shuts d...

Registered Member
forrestgumping

Re: Lumia 920 - intermittently shuts off / shuts down for no reason

Exactly the same issue with my 920....at least once a day sometimes more just randomly shuts off without any warning. Not battery related.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
drfonz

I have exactly the same issue. I got my 920 yesterday and it's already happened 3 times. The first time it happened with the original charge the phone came with so nothing to do with the charger used. The last time it happened whilst in my pocket with 100% charge. I'm in the UK with a EE SIM.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Flexi_BTS

[ Edited ]

I am not an AT&T subscriber but I had the same issue. After struggling with the device I noticed that it only does it in some areas where I live. It turned out that everytime the device tries to switch from 3G to 2G, it's rebooting or poweing itself off. It was annoying as hell. Here's what I did.

Open dialer, press ##3282  and press dial  ==> Field test mode. Press settings ( three dots in the bottom ) and lock it on either 2G/3G and see if that helps. You can put it to Automatic later on if that doesn't help so no big deal here.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Corvus_82

I bought my Lumia 920 in Denmark and have a Telenor subscription.

This never used to happen to me until I enabled all the options in the "Find my phone" setting. After I enabled that setting - it would happen every night (when I wasn't using the phone). 

As soon as I turned all of the options under "Find my phone" off - the issue stopped and now it's been stable for a week - hopefully it will stay that way.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kbsphere

The find my phone setting is buggy. When I got to the settings page, find my phone shows "off" under it. Then when I tap on find my phone the setting says "Use find my phone" On, where I can change it to off.

In short, the info it shows on the settings screen about "find my phone" is opposite of what the setting is.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hyraclyon

kbsphere wrote:
The find my phone setting is buggy. When I got to the settings page, find my phone shows "off" under it. Then when I tap on find my phone the setting says "Use find my phone" On, where I can change it to off.

In short, the info it shows on the settings screen about "find my phone" is opposite of what the setting is.

Where do you see the option to turn it off? When I go to "find my phone" in settings I just get two options to either send apps to phone using push-messages or to save the location of the phone regularly. There is no option to actually turn off "find my phone".

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ashwinipv

I am also facing similar issue , any help on the solution if some one got the issue resolved .
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shanme

Has a solution been found yet?
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Pertaining to find my phone issues, i would suggest performing basic troubleshooting steps then let us know if there has been any progress. Thanks!:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749480

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
bigsmp

[ Edited ]

I've had the same issue, phone shuts off overnight, or even while it's in my pocket.  I took it overseas and had it on Airplane mode the whole time and it still did it, so I don't believe it is related to LTE vs. 3G.  I had Wi-Fi on and off, and it seemed to behave better when Wi-Fi was off, but I can't be certain.

To be clear: I'm on AT&T, have restarted the device many times, but I have not yet performed a factory reset.  I have been using the wireless charging station when it has shut off overnight.  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ceus

I've had my phone for a few days now and last night for the first time, my phone randomly decided to shut off.

I figured, okay, the battery must have been dead. So I stuck it on the charger and that didn't do anything. I left the phone alone and figured I would go and return it to AT&T in the morning... It came back on after some time.

So, this morning rolls along and my phone randomly shuts off again. So, I thought, okay, last thing I am going to try is turning off automatic updates, maybe it's updating itself without asking me... It is a windows phone after all.

I haven't had the issue again yet, but I might be switching to another Windows Phone if this issue persist, I don't have time for random shut downs as I run a business from my phone.

If anyone knows of an issue, let us know. Otherwise the phone will be returned before Feb 1st. :smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia 920 - AT&T
Please use plain text.
Contributor
seamunkee

[ Edited ]

farby wrote:

To turn off LTE check under Settings-->Mobile network-->Highest connection speed. Setting this to either 2G or 3G should disable LTE.

I dont see those settings on my phone. Not sure if its a ATT thing or not but I dont see the setting "mobile network". Is there any other way to turn off LTE?

Also has Nokia acknowledged this issue yet? I'm curious if they are even looking into the issue. And swapping out phones doesnt seem to work as the replacements phones exibit the same behavior.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Corvus_82

I think I might have a clue about this. 

I purchased my Lumia 920 in Denmark (Telenor is the service provider) and for a month after purchase I have had no such issues. 

App and system component updates were available at different timepoints during the period starting from the time of purchase and now and I've updated every time an update was available.

The phone would always (like clockwork) freeze during Tuesday night and around noon on Saturday. 

And then a funny thing happened on one Saturday - my battery saver feature was on and as far as I know that disables apps running in the background to save battery power - and it didn't freeze that Saturday. After it skipped the freeze that time - the freeze "schedule" changed - and it started freezing on other days (but always at  a particular time).

Now, I've done a reset of the phone to factory settings (twice) and that doesn't help (also tried changing my Microsoft account). 

What this looks like to me is some kind of "software running in the background" thing. I honestly don't think it's a hardware issue. It can be either the apps (for which I don't have time to check every single one) or the OS itself.

The Portico update has not been released in Denmark yet, at least not with Telenor (even though I've contacted them and they said that the update has been approved but not yet released) so I'm kind of hoping that the update will resolve the issue.

The phone works perfectly in all other aspects.

What's your take on this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kbsphere

Yes... I noticed that my phone has only one option to turn it off. I checked another phone at the store and my friends phone and he has two options like you are talking about.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
naserals1974

Resolution for this problem is as follows:

1. For those who haven't applied portico update, please turn off "find my phone" option.

2. For those who have applied portico update, please uncheck both options in find my phone feature. Uncheck "send apps to my phone using push notifications" and uncheck "save my phone's location periodically and before battery runs out to make it easier to find".

It is more of a software problem that was highlighted to Microsoft.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kosto

I have both options unchecked and my phone still shuts off randomly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ashwinipv

Whole world is having a similar issue , I want a NOKIA person to root the problem and given a statement on this . Or atleast acknowledge saying that we are aware of the issue and will be fixed in so and so release . I felt very bad to leave my Iphone and adopt a phone which don't have apps and support . Looks like Windows and Nokia have left the testing peice to users ... NOT A GOOD SIGN .

Please use plain text.
bigsmp

Since my last post, I've done a factory reset, and the phone keeps shutting down.  It's not related to the "Find My Phone" feature, as that has always been off for me.  

I've turned off the automatic updates, so we'll see if that does anything, though I imagine it wouldn't since it has shut down both at night and during the day, both here in the States and when we went to Europe.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
seamunkee

Yeah I unchecked both boxes and I still have the problem. its really aggrevating because I use my phone as an alarm clock and when it goes into brick mode absolutely nothing works. Im really starting to regret not going with HTC.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
simnix

Hi,

My 920 is doing the same, Received it on Monday and by Wednesday morning it had rebooted twice and powered down once. I had to do a soft reset (volume down + power button) rebooted twice within five minutes, so I did a hard factory reset. for those who do not know how to perform a hard factory reset on the 920

Step 1 Make sure the charger is disconnected.

1. With the phone powered off.

2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds).

Step 2 Then input Keys in the following order:

1. Volume up

2. Volume down

3. Power

4. Volume down

Step 3 The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

As someone previously has mentioned a factory reset and it did not work, I don't know if they tried it this way. I don't think anything we try is going to fix this fault, so we are just going to have to wait for a firmware update to fix this problem :smileyfrustrated:. Hopefully Nokia will release an update soon.

I still think the 920 is an awesome phone when it works.

--------------
If you invent a better mousetrap, someone else will invent a better mouse.
Please use plain text.