Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 random restarts and freezing when tr...

Advisor
shawzy007

Lumia 920 random restarts and freezing when trying to answer or disconnect a call.

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

2 weeks ago UK Vodafone finally released the Lumia 920 on their network to which I jumped at for upgrade. Love the phone.

However it keeps randomly rebooting its self, and on occasion also will not respond when trying to answer a call.

I had these issues with my Lumia 800 :smileysad:  Seems these issues are common across these 2 handsets..

Any one else having these issues and is there going to be a fix ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rvajeff

Re: Lumia 920 random restarts and freezing when trying to answer or disconnect a call.

I'd like to bump this post... I just got my wife the Lumia 920 (upgrading from a 900) this weekend. It froze twice - once this morning and her alarms didn't go off. Thankfully we still had the alarm set on the 900 and it went off. 

Is this an app or other software specific issue? I've read that disabling the facebook sync in email+accounts will work. But I have found based on searching the web, that this is a pretty common issue and I think it'd be nice to find a Nokia solution to the problem, as it appears it's been going on for months. I don't mean to come off as rude, I just can't seem to find a common, supported solution to this online...

Any "official" support of this issue? 

Please use plain text.
aleisha11

Re: Lumia 920 random restarts and freezing when trying to answer or disconnect a call.

rvajeff wrote:

I'd like to bump this post... I just got my wife the Lumia 920 (upgrading from a 900) this weekend. It froze twice - once this morning and her alarms didn't go off. Thankfully we still had the alarm set on the 900 and it went off. 

Is this an app or other software specific issue? I've read that disabling the facebook sync in email+accounts will work. But I have found based on searching the web, that this is a pretty common issue and I think it'd be nice to find a Nokia solution to the problem, as it appears it's been going on for months. I don't mean to come off as rude, I just can't seem to find a common, supported solution to this online...

You may try the soft reset. Rest assured that your files won't be deleted. To do this, press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. Try to observe the phone once you're done. If the issue still persists, try to update the software. 

You may use this link for the step-by-step procedure on how to update the software: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rvajeff

aleisha11 wrote:

rvajeff wrote:

You may try the soft reset. Rest assured that your files won't be deleted. To do this, press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. Try to observe the phone once you're done. If the issue still persists, try to update the software. 

You may use this link for the step-by-step procedure on how to update the software: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the tips!

We were able to reset the phone before, exactly as you described, I should have mentioned this in my other post. The problem still does persist... However the software appears to already be updated. When I go into settings and check for a phone update, it says the phone is already up to date.

Since this time, I have found numerous forum posts across the web. Many people experience this freeze issue with the Lumia 920, even after updates and replacements. One particularly helpful forum post suggested that the deletion of their facebook account under email+accounts in the settings. 

We tried this on my wife's phone, and it seemed to work. No freeze ups for a full day and a half (we had 2 freeze ups requiring reset in one day before this). To confirm, we re-enabled the facebook account, and the phone froze up about 5 hours later.

This seems to suggest that backgournd syncing is making the phone freeze up. My wife would love to keep the facebook sync on in the background, but we can't live with the freeze ups, so we left it deleted...

Is nokia working on a solution to this specific problem? Does anyone know?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rvajeff

[ Edited ]

It's unfortunate to see no response to this issue from Nokia. 

As mentioned above, my wife's phone has no available updates (we checked multiple times throughout the week) so it's on the latest software according to Nokia. 

The removal of facebook from the email+accounts in my post above turned out to be a temporary fix. Since that time, her phone has frozen and needed a vol. down + power reset a total of 4 times (2 times it froze in the middle of the night - we've learned to have a spare alarm clock - and 2 during the day). There's no rhyme or reason. 

I have literally poured through online posts in this forum and others... the one thing that is consistent is that several Lumia 920's have this problem. The person who started this thread had it happen during phone calls.

People try different apps, disabling bluetooth, wifi, etc... some have the problem again and others don't. Some people have had success by returning the phones for replacement, others have not. Worst of all - the "portico" update does not appear to have fixed it, even though it was supposed to.

So here's where I am at... We disabled the facebook sync. We thought it worked, but the problem came back. We uninstalled some apps. The problem came back. We checked for updates, we're on the latest software... We disabled wifi and bluetooh. Didn't help. We did a factory reset on the device. No luck. We still experience freeze ups. 

I'm asking someone from Nokia this question... why should we keep this phone if it's going to randomly freeze up so often? My wife doesn't want to live with that issue - 1 time in a week is bad enough, but this is multiple times in a week. Smartphones aren't new... this is lame. 

Is Nokia going to address the numerous complaints about this issue - on it's own forums?  Will there be an update to fix this problem - which is clearly big enough to result in numerous page one google searches on the topic? Because if not, unfortunately we'll have to return it and go after an HTC or something completely different. Which is a shame.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia920Fan

I agree that Nokia should ackonwledge this problem. My phone has frozen a total of 4 times on me since purchase in mid-november, and even once a month is really annoying. However, I wouldn't yet recommend going for an HTC 8X (if that's where you're going), since this could be a Windows Phone specific issue that would come back on the HTC. I can tell you from experience that HTC has worse customer support than Nokia, and if the case would be that your wife has a defective unit, I'm sure Nokia would swap it out without hassle. I'd advise contacting Nokia directly instead of on this user-run community. Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rvajeff

I can appreciate what you're saying, valid points on the HTC and contacting Nokia. I purchased the device through an electronics store on Amazon, so what we'll likely do is return it there and and try a different one. From everything I've researched, it's a hit or miss problem among devices. I suppose that's why there's a lack of response and support from Nokia, which is frustrating since it does seem to happen often.

We just did another hard reset last night, though, and I think we'll give it a few days. If it doesn't help, we'll return and exchange, and if we still have issues I think I'll call Nokia as well.

Please use plain text.