Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 screen broken + other problems

JK_Fin

Lumia 920 screen broken + other problems

Hi,

There are many videos posted about breaking lumia 920s screen and how difficult it is.

Well, mine broke without any effort. I've had the phone for 3,5 weeks, I have NOT dropped it or hit it anywhere nor have I scratched it with anything. I woke up yesterday morning and after writing one message and closing the monitor i noticed a crack/scratch on the right side of the screen where the buttons are located on the side (volume - lockscreen). I know most of you think I've thrown the phone somewhere or dropped it, but I have not. This crack seems to be somewhat deep but very narrow, like hair.

Has anyone else expriences such things?

Today I went to the place where I bought the phone and the boy working there said that "nothing we can do, won't go to guarantee" and he based his claim on previous complaints about other smartphones. However this GorillaGlass should be sturdy, but it seems that at least in my phone it broke by itself. I have the red version of the phone bought from Finland, made in China.

On top of this, some people say when talking in the phone that my voice is coming poorly or almost not at all. This is random.

Phone also gets -very- warm if used near the camera on the back of the phone, I do not know what chip is located in there, but the heating happens when an online software is being used that requires an internet connection - either wireless or 3G.

And furthermore, the headphones didn't really work long, the right plug began working on/off and making some scratching sounds after maybe 3 hours of use and it seems to work depending on the position of the cord.

Anyway, I am wondering if someone else has had their screen broken without any harm done to it? In my opinion this should NOT happen in less than a month's use of the phone. If searched from the internet (google), there are quite a few posts about scratched and cracks in lumia 920 screen but I did not find any posts from here with a quick look.

..And, is there anything I can do about this? it's a pity that this kind of obvious error in this certain phone I have is making it uglier and annoying me so much...

Cheers,

J

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Re: Lumia 920 screen broken + other problems

Take it up with Nokia Care.

I feel your pain but this is not the Nokia complaints department and nothing can be done for you by anyone here.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
JK_Fin

Yeah, this was the place where I ended up from Nokia Care page.

So you're saying that I am not allowed to ask if anyone else has the same flaw with the screen? That it breaks by itself? No wonder there are no posts about it here if it's not allowed to ask such things here.

Is it only a complaint if I ask if others have had same happen to them, seriously?

Yes, you answered the question that is there something I can do - and the solution is that I should call Nokia and can't handle this otherwise it seems as according to you it is not allowed to post here about problems.

Still, what is left unanswered is if someone else has had same happen to them or not, or is this really a forbidden topic in the nokia forums? Meaning that I should find people from elsewhere who have same problem with their phone - I'd rather see someone reply something in here than in discussion forum X about this.

However, thanks for your reply.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

No one has forbidden you from posting your problem here. If this was the case, your post would have been deleted by the moderators long ago. All Paul suggested was that your problem is not one that this forum can assist you with because this is only a user to user forum. We are all Nokia users just like you. Whatever anyone says here is only their personal opinion and will not in any way affect your situation. 

The only way you are going to resolve this is to present the phone to a care point and take it from there.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Gorilla Glass does not crack or break by itself and if it does you are one in a very, very few who might have caught a bad batch. There is a lot of information on this glass around the Internet. Also Gorilla Glas is not unbreakable nor unscratchable an neither is there anyone claiming it is. It is one of several types of glass with a higher resistance to scratching, that is all it is. It is still glass and as such it will react and behave like any other type of glass once it reached a certain threshold.

Maybe you had a minute scratch and due to a sudden temperature change it cracked. Maybe you bumped into something which caused it to crack, maybe you're not telling us the whole story and maybe you're not telling us the truth, who knows.

You got unlucky, it's tough. Not having actioned any of the other issues you mentioned has nothing to do with the glass. You should contact Nokia Care through the 'Contact us' section by phone mail or chat and get this sorted. You may still be able to get the other stuff fixed under warranty, but the glass, that won't go.

If it's just the glass there's plenty of solutions to that, Google would be your friend on that.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
JK_Fin

The only possibility for glass breaking is the temperature change actually. I was thinking about it myself too. And this is so strange because, as you mentioned, there are videos and info about the glass' hardness around the internet to be found. However, as I live in Finland and it is (real) winter here the phone has undergone temperature changes earlier too, even more dramatic than on friday morning when I took it outside with me for 5 minutes (was only -10 outside, 22ish inside) and this is not as big a temperature change that a phone should not last really as people do live in hot and cold countries.

Other possibility, which is also unlikely, is that the buttons on the side have something wrong with them or they have somehow bent the glass as the crack is at that edge of the screen.

The thing is, the morning I woke up, glass was fine, nothing on it. About an hour later I reply to a message and after locking the screen I see the crack. All this time the phone was on the table facing up. Luckily there is nothing wrong with the functions or anything else with the phone related to the glass, it just makes the otherwise good looking surface a bit ugly.

Has anyone reading this tried to use those "scratch fix solutions" found from webshops? That you apply on the glass and the scratch/dent/crack goes away? -though I doubt that's a good option to do, but it'll be a quick one and at least the crack won't bother me longer.

It is really stupid that otherwise a very pretty and seemingly great phone which I've already grown to like more than I thought I would in such short time (after N8) has this kind of a thing in reserve for me. =(

The live chat and call options are probably open during weekdays, thus I did not use them yet even though they were on the possible options in the nokia care (I checked it first before posting here in the first place). Also the closest Nokia care place is a bit far away, but let's see.

Again, thanks for replies.

J

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

JK_Fin wrote:

Has anyone reading this tried to use those "scratch fix solutions" found from webshops? That you apply on the glass and the scratch/dent/crack goes away? -though I doubt that's a good option to do, but it'll be a quick one and at least the crack won't bother me longer.

All you will do is abrade the coating upon the glass by using such.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.