Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 software bug when using on Virgin Mo...

andyss32

Re: Lumia 920 software bug when using on Virgin Mobile UK

hi i am new to all this but have a similar problem although i am on tmobile (uk). I enter the manual settings via their website and my 920 will delete the last 4 digits. I popped into my local tmobile store yesterday and they were as confused as me and advised me to ring a help number. Really frustrating

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@andyss32

You shouldn't need to enter the APN settings manually on the 920 because it should read the settings automatically from the SIM and creates the APN for you. If you go to Settings > Access point, T-Mobile should be listed and tapping on it will activate it.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vitasoy

Hi,

New to all this, have no idea what APN is etc. etc. but sending a MMS/photo via text works on my 920.

Bought the white variation from P4U, sim free which is as everyone knows still carrier locked to EE.

I had an existing Virgin contract sim from my old phone which died. I changed the plan to an unlimited data plan, but they didn't have to issue a new sim card - just use the existing one.

I cut the sim to fit micro sim proportions and stuck it in my 920.

Did not have to setup APN or anything else, just soft rebooted the phone and everything works including having "Virgin" on the phone tile.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vitasoy

Whilst everything works perfectly on my 920, i'm not getting that "Access Point" option in "Settings".

Please use plain text.
andyss32

thanks for your reply ray but I seem to be missing this option in my settings. I might remove sim and do a full reset to see if this helps

Please use plain text.
Rdd07

[ Edited ]

I got mine working, and had to also edit my mms settigs, to fix this:

for the mmsc url's last 4 numbers which in your case is 8002, thats what you put as your mmsc port

Please use plain text.
andyss32

Well I did a full reset and it bricked. Spent two hours with 2 spinning cogs on the screen by which time I guess the battery died (although I had it plugged in). I managed to turn it on and it hung on the Nokia logo for the remainder of its life. Took it back to tmobile that afternoon and they gave me a new one and guess what..... Mms now works fine. I think I had a dodgy one from the word go.

Please use plain text.
wmpro

[ Edited ]

A solution is now here: 

###THIS IS ONLY FOR THOSE LUMIA 920's THAT DON'T HAVE  "ACCESS POINT" LISTED IN SETTINGS! ###

1) Delete any existing Internet & MMS APN profiles stored in the handset, by tapping: Start, Settings, Mobile Settings, and scroll to the bottom of the screen and remove each apn manually by tapping edit, then tap the delete icon (looks like a waste bin) at the bottom right of the screen (you might need to tap "..." to reveal the option.)

2)Once all Apn's are removed, make sure the phone is connected via wifi,  and open the following URL in Internet Explorer in the handset: (it may be easier to email yourself these links so you can simply open them on the handset).

Follow the instructions on screen to install the Nokia update.  This will add a new settings menu to the handset "Access Point", which is missing on phones bought from Phones4u or the EE companies in the UK (like mine!).

3) Following the above instructions again, but this time for the following app - "network+".  Again, this is a Nokia settings update downloaded through the handset's Windows App Store/Marketplace:

4) And the final step is to download the app called "extras+info" :

Once all the above are done, the phone must be rebooted.

5) Now go to the settings menu, and scroll to the bottom. You should now see a new menu called: "Access Point". Tap it and you'll end up with a screen listing any APN's the phone has already found from the sim card (or previous sim cards inserted).  Crucially, Virgin won't be listed at first, and even if it is, you'll need to amend the apn details.. because if you try adding a new apn named "Virgin", you'll get a message saying "Virgin already exists", even though it's not showing in the list of apn's. So the workaround here, is to name it virgin with a small v. Then enter the APN settings for both internet and MMS found here:

(on that link:  References to "Wap Gateway Address" and "Wap Gateway Port" means "Proxy address" and "Proxy Port" as shown in the handset!)

6) Once done entering the details, make sure to tap on the tick icon at the bottom.

7) Now "virgin" should be displayed in the list of access points. If not already showing as "active", simply tap and hold on "virgin", and select "activate" from the pop up menu, then it should say "active" in red.

8) Hit Start button, then reboot, and send yourself a picture message.  Enjoy!
Please use plain text.