Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 - the dust under front facing camera...

Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Re: Lumia 920 - the dust under front facing camera issue

@ jimmyireland but I laughed at least.. hahaha. :smileylol:

Well, I sincerely thank you for your suggestions/solutions..you have solved many issues earlier and given valueable advices. Thanks.

But it doesn't seems practical, this issue never happend with any other Nokia phones on planet.. why only with Lumia 920. Unfortunately my replacement period is over [NOKIA MENA GIVES 7 DAYS] so I am afraid if took my phone to Nokia Care for dust problem, they will simply take away my phone for few days. I have already replaced it once due to freezing/restarting issues.

I believe that we have to live with this FFC dust.. or else Nokia should come up with a solid solution to repair on spot at Nokia Care Center etc. Lumia 920 such a darling phone to give up!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

EDIT: well, I just contacted Nokia Care and they told I have 14 days replacement, unlike the lady in Nokia Store said 7 days ..So I believe I still have some days if I wish to replace it.

Now Thinking if I should replace it or not....
Please use plain text.
Kuturgan1

my solution of the dust-gate

So if we are able to identify the reason of the problem then we can do find the solution.
We know that the dust comes from 3.5 jack socket. Then just put the 3.5 jack stopper into the jack socket and that's it. No any dust in you phone!
You can find it on ebay.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
melovecookies

This is my 3rd Lumia 920. And the 3rd one also start to pole dust in the front facing camera. I might take it back and replace it again until Nokia find a solution for it...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Teeemj

I have the exact same problem. LOVE the Lumia 920...but the dust is a big problem.

I already had my Nokia sent to a Nokia care point, which was a timely process as I don't have a care point close to where I live, so this can be a major inconvenience. After receiving it back I don't actually know if they fixed the problem permanently or if they just got rid of the dust.

So due to my paranoia of not wanting to send the phone away again, there was a foam plastic material I got with another phone. I cut off a tiny bit, rolled it up into a small circle (same size as the ear piece on the phone) and put it in the earpiece.

The foam then expanded and has remained in the earpiece. However, it can be removed with tweezers if you need to.

I have just done this today, so  I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it as a permanent fix but what I will do is give it a week and let you guys know. As much as I love my Nokia, so I don't want it to be sent away yet again.

So that is my temporary fix, as there was no description from my Nokia Care Point Repair, i don't know if they have permenantly fixed it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tr1cky49

They won't have fixed it.  I had the same problem with mine and after two months it had got bad enough to affect the proximity sensor in the handset as well.  So I sent it in to Nokia Care who took two weeks to return it.  They said that they had replaced the motherboard just to be sure!  I also noticed that the screen was replaced as well because a couple of small knocks on the edge that had occured were no longer there.

Anyway, less than two days later you could already see the dust building up again in the FFC and a week later I had the proximity sensor cause a problem on a call (the screen won't wake up again when you take the phone away from your ear).  It's now been about three weeks, I've had two more proximity sensor issues (solved by blowing into the ear piece) and the FFC looks worse than it did the last time I sent it in.  Add to that the fact that I'm getting around 14 hours battery life with light usage and it looks like it's going to be going back to them again.  This time I'm going to be insisting on a replacement (which, given that they replaced the motherboard and the screen last time, they pretty much did anyway).

There's no question that this is a design flaw given that I've previously owned two iPhones and never once had this issue occur with them.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

[ Edited ]

so everyone living with the dust on front camera? There is no response from Nokia yet..

just an update.. I took my Lumia 920 to Nokia Care (the most rude people on the planet as they talk nicely but deny everything you ask) ... they told me this is not a common problem otherwise we would have investigated, it's with some users but happily provided me the service to clean off the dust from FFC.

And I questioned the Nokia Expert that will I ever get the dust again? He said no Sir, now you will never get the dust and guess what.. I got the Dust again.. (just imagine how much angry you can be, I am that much angry).

Oh I forget to tell you that Nokia Care lied to me that my Lumia920 will go to Factory for repair... when it was ready next day, I questioned..you never sent the phone to factory and repaired it here... and with a shame Nokai guy replied, No sir, we repaired in our LAB but with the instructions from Lumia.

I never told to any of my Galaxy Friends about the dust, I feel shame...as I always advocated Nokia is the BEST and PAPA of Mobile Manufacturers.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I had sent my phone for repair and Nokia Care returned it in 7 days and the FFC looked clean. After three weeks of very careful use, dust started to build up again. I will probably have to send it back again! What a shame!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DInScotland

I'm also seeing a whole load of dust under my front facing camera. Not happy. I sold a Note 2 to get this phone and I have to say that at the moment I'm regretting that decision.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vl_leo

Same problem with my Lumia 920 (14 days old)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
macronone

Same problem here after 6 days, blowing near top of screen has fixed it but presumably only until it happens again...

@ jimmyireland - what cover do you use?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
numetheus

Having the same issue. Now blowing air will no longer work. Phone goes back during call. Wish I would have never gotten this phone at release. I've had it replaced 3 times. Worst phone ever. Have never had this issue with any other phone, and I go through a lot of them.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kumaranunay123

jimmyireland wrote:
My point is pockets can be a bad environment especially jeans or trousers,shirt pockets are not so bad.
Ive my 920 two months now and no dust because i take care of it.

This is one of the most ridiculous replies I have come across for a long time. I have a 3 year old Nokia N8 and I have used it in the worst of conditions. not a single dust particle on the front or the back camera. It is a design issue which Nokia might have resolved by now but not acknowledging for the number of units already sold. This would result in huge loss for the company.

Please use plain text.
ColinJones16

I have the same exact problem with my Lumia 920. I've had it for about four months now and my front-facing camera has been useless to me for the past two months. I've tried the pressurized air on it and it looked like there was a little improvement in the amount of dust in the camera but pictures still come out very foggy. Does anyone think that this issue is enough for me to be able to send my 920 back and get it fix/ a new device?

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Blowing air just agitates the dust inside and blows in more dust. Try vacuuming at the seams instead. But as a high end phone with a stiff price tag the 920 really shouldn't have this problem in the first place.
Please use plain text.
Pickle6

[ Edited ]

I agree with you that you shouldn't have to do this.  And Nokia will not acknowledge nor support this issue on this phone.  Also called AT&T who I purchased it through and they also do not acknowledge it as an issue even though there are many documented cases.

So, what are my options?  Blow the dust out through the ear speaker area every few weeks or so?  Get a new phone that has this corrected, not available.  A call to Nokia support told me that I needed to send it in at which point they would blow the dust out and send it back, a 2 week process.  Then if it would happen again, I would need to send it back in.  One would think that they would have some type of seal they could supply to block the dust from getting to the camers/proximity sensor......

Please use plain text.
Contributor
trucho

I have this problem with my Nokia and need to know how to fix it - there is no service center in the US that I know of, and AT&T also isn't issuing any type of resolution. Please advise what to do because blowing the phone w/ compressed air is not doing it for me - dust still hangs behind the lens. I use Skype frequently and this is a deal breaker.

-Alex
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

there is only ONE service center in the USA.

It is located:

NOKIA REPAIRS
4330 N SYLVANIA AVE
DOCK DOOR 1
FORT WORTH TX 76137-4211

Nokia Care Line: 888-665-4228

I would recomend calling nokia first and getting them to send you an email connecting it to an RMA/Repair number BEFORE you try to send it in to be sure that it is taken care of.

the puffs of air do make a difference, but not totally.

There is supposed to be a fix that is implemented at the service centers abroad, but i cannot say for sure in the USA.

Also, when you send it in, if you do, be sure that you send it in at least with the USPS priorty flat rate box (small) so that you have a tracking number and it will only take a couple of days, and then expect at least a couple weeks to get something back. :/

hope that helps.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rick7428

i gave my 920 to service thrice ... they assured me the fix saying dust wont collect anymore !

and it has again... they take more than 15-20days just for clearing the dust and give back as it is... what an inconvenience ! Plus they wont replace the product either ! i am really fed up . Due to this i have suggested all my friends to go for iphone atleast they care for their customers and replace the product with even minute problems!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

If device has been returned to fix this same issue three times it should have been escalated by now and the "dust gasket" fix is certainly not volunteered unless you force the issue unfortunately. Usually a giveaway as to whether device has been dismantled is the amount of light leakage at the top of the screen as here:

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.