Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 920 thinks the headphones are still plugged ...

Advisor
kcwallace

Lumia 920 thinks the headphones are still plugged in

Last night I was listening to musc on my Lumia 920.  I unplugged the headphones and wnet to use the phone a few minutes later.  no sound comes out tof the speakers now  the headphones sill work great, but it I cannot make a call without my headset now.  I know the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in, because the sounds settings allow me to adjust the equalizer (w/o headphones plugged in this option is not available).  I tried a factory reset, and the problem still exists.  ANy suggestions fromt he moderators

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Re: Lumia 920 thinks the headphones are still plugged in

if you have performed a hard reset, there is not much you can do now but take it to your local Nokia Care point for them to inspect.

to locate your nearest Nokia Care: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Hi @kcwallace,

You could also try to carefully clean your connector for headphones with something soft or try to puff there to get the possible unwanted stuff away.

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumia82

happen to me too but it was my fault as i jammed and fm trasmiter in the head phone jack... contacted my carrier and got a new phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Schurrr

No suggestions, just wanted to add that the same problem exists for me.  I haven't found a solution but was wondering if maybe in the meantime somebody had? Looks like I'll have to bring the phone in, maybe my carrier will give me a replacement...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
iphoneswitcher

Same problem here, and very annoying.

When I have (3rd party) headphones plugged in, I don't hear anything when I try to make a call. After I remove the headphone I still don't hear anything. I have to switch the phone off and on again to make normal phone calls again.
The Nokia headset works, but the music quality is to bad so that does not me. 
Will contact the support.

Is there anyone who can actually make calls with 3rd party headphones?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thijsveneklaas

ive got no suggestions but i have the same problem. However for me the speaker does work when I get an incoming call.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Chrisvn

iphoneswitcher wrote:

Same problem here, and very annoying.

When I have (3rd party) headphones plugged in, I don't hear anything when I try to make a call. After I remove the headphone I still don't hear anything. I have to switch the phone off and on again to make normal phone calls again.
The Nokia headset works, but the music quality is to bad so that does not me. 
Will contact the support.

Is there anyone who can actually make calls with 3rd party headphones?

This might be your headphone jack itself, as cheap ones tend to leave small pieces behind.
Trying cleaning it out with a toothpick (be gentle and no metal objects for the sake of average IQ) and if that doesn't work bring it in. Also invest in bluetooth headsets, they might not last long but at least they don't destroy a part of your phone through wear and tear (if I'm not mistaking there are small bluetooth devices for inserting regular headsets in through a plug).

Please use plain text.
Kr7Br

I'm having the same problem with my Lumia 620 :smileysad: I've reset the phone (hard and soft), but it is still stuck in headphone mode.

When I pry off the back cover, the phone leaves headphone mode, so I really think this is a hardware problem...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

My Lumia 920 had the same problem after I was first listening audio book using third-party headset, which did not have micropohone, and answered a call without first removing the headset. No audio after I unplugged headset during the call.

I only was able to call with the speaker phone on. There was no audio when watching videos also. Soft reboot (with power + volume down buttons) did not help.

FIX was after all simple: Connect your standard Nokia handsfree, make a call and remove the headset during the call. After that it is again working again fine. Of course I am not sure about the need for the call (did not try to just connect and disconnect the headset), but at least this way it started to work.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
legarth

FIX

So I had the same problem, I think it occured when skype crashed during a phone call.

The fix was similar to perttupo's sollution. Although his didn't work for me.

I had to plug in a headset (didn't have my nokia one, so I used an iphone instead), make a call with the headset plugged in. During the call turn on and off speaker mode. Then unplug the headset. This worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dan2013

Hello,

The only thing that worked for me was to turn Bluetooth off.

Dan

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MacMarbles

I have had the same issue on two seperate occasions (got my phone in December). Both resulted in me having to send my phone in for repair. I am very frustrated and am now unsure if i should ever use my headphones with this phone. Right now i am using my old blackberry while i wait 10-15 days for my nokia to be sent back to me.

Please fix this issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pranav0091

I want to pen down my solution if its going to help someone:

Symptopms:

1) Phone appears to think that the headphone is plugged in.

2) This means tht you cant hear the people talk in calls without a headphone, neither can they hear you because the phone mutes the mic on the phone and starts to 'listen' via the mic on the imaginary handsfree.

3) May or may not be accompanied with loud whines on earphones with built in mics.

4) Messaging (SMS) may or may not be affected

Cause:

Hardware- Clogged Headphone socket.

Solution:

Repeatedly insert-remove any 3.5mm earphone. (didnt work for me)

The same process but with the bundled handsfree (didnt work for me)

Blow into the port (didnt work for me)

take a piece of paper and roll it onto itself to form a small, thin cylinder and poke the insides gently with this 'tool' and simultaneously pause-unpause music so that you know if its effective or not. After about 5 minutesof wrangling in this fashion, the speakers showed first signs of life for me. A lot of tries later I think its fixed now. (You may have several false-fixes that are momentary, persevere my boy :smileyembarrassed:)

I'm going to get that 3.5mm jack replaced under warranty. This is without doubt a hardware issue. Hope that helps some poor soul somewhere. Bye :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lumia920415

I had the same issue with not being able to hear out of my speakers on my lumia 920 without a set of headphones or putting the device on speaker phone while talking . While searching for a solution I tried multiple things and decided not to go for a hard reset because most people said that it did not fix the problem. Soon I found this solution and it fixes my problem!

Take a piece of paper roll it in to a cylinder shape then carefully put it in the earphone jack.. (As instructed in the comment above) it may take a few minutes to be able to hear sound .. But just keep working at it. Hope this solution works for you ! It worked for me (:
Please use plain text.
Maximus098

I'm having the same issue with my colleague's Lumia 620. Both models, the 620 and 920 headset sockets are designed and built in the same manner. They are moulded into the back cover of the phone and connected to the phone's main board via 6 contacts.

It seems to me that the problem is in the headset socket. I have temporarily fixed the issue by just isolating the headset socket from mainboard by placing a piece of sticky tape on the headset contacts. However, headset/headphones are temporary unavailable.

Now I'm searching the internets for the socket pin out. I will then try and ring out the contacts of the socket. Will let you know if I'm successfull.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
madhanm

The issue actually went away with one workaround. This is indeed an hardware issue.

When you look into the audio socket on the top of the phone, you will see a small dot (metal or copper) which seem to act like some switch. I used the thirdparty audio jack and just touched the small dot, and my voice immediately started coming on the other phone, while testing this workaround.

This Sucks !!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Chocomelk

Dear, all

I had the same problem. After searching the whole web for solutions. I found one that worked!

- Do not insert the 3-conductor headphone plug all the way (if you insert all the way, you will here a click sound), just make contact until you can hear the music/sound from your 920 on your headphone
- Then, you can insert the plug all the way with a click, it will trigger the voice control and just ignore it
- Now, the 920 should properly recognise this 3-conductor headphone and works as it should.

3-conductor headphone - refer to the image in the link below. The left one, there is, a traditional plug for high-end head phone without mic.

It seems very important to only use 3 conducter earphones. Hop it will also work for you guys!

Grtz,
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jesse501

Thanks!  This worked.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vanslyker

Chocomelk, that solution worked for me, thank you!

Also good to know about the 3 conductor earphones. Coincidentally enough, this issue happened to me shortly after switching to cheaper earphones.

Please use plain text.