Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 920 won't switch on.

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I'd go with what Cjlim has said here. Once the carrier has the firmware and phone that Nokia has provided, it is in their hands ultimately, and their in-house testing may not be as stringent or as thorough as Nokia's. Therefore the possbiility of bugs being introduced due to their own customisations and modifications has been multiplied. I'd always suggest getting a non-carrier variant anyways, as such, I haven't had any problems in quite a number of years
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pezo

OMG  thanks u saved my life i didnt know that trick with volume down and  switch button

, i just had this problem  and didnt know what to do :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lakimbee

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Always in the morning i have to do a soft reset because my phone won't unlock from sleep. My phone is up to date (portico).

But the problem still occurs. I have no running apps in the background, I blocked them all.

Can you tell me if I have to change the phone ?

Please use plain text.
Holland

Same problem over here! Without the Portico update (not available in Europe yet)

Brand new unlocked and unbranded device, already did a hard reset and did't work. Come on Nokia, solve this problem, a lot off people have this problem!

Join the Nokia Lumia Fan Club: http://facebook.com/LumiaFanClub
Please use plain text.
Mablott

Hello from Oz.

My 920 is now 8 days old and I have had to hard reset (vol down + power) twice. Both times battery well over 85%.

Also, at least in Sydney Australia, any SMS over 79 characters automatically becomes MMS. That costs more $$$! Nokia have known about this for at least 3 weeks now and still no fix.

It's a very competitive market out there now Nokia. You fell off the ball once, wanting to do the same thing again???

Not happy.

Please use plain text.
Holland

Try this:

1. settings -> location -> turn off

2. settings -> find my phone -> turn off

regards

Join the Nokia Lumia Fan Club: http://facebook.com/LumiaFanClub
Please use plain text.
chm1

I have a similar problem. 

I have had the phone (Lumia 920) for 6 days now and every morning the phone has required a soft reset.

This happened both with the original Firmware on the first day.

Then I flashed to Portico (RM821_059R0H4_1232.5951.1249.1002) and the same behavior continues. 

Can't keep the phone if this can't be immediately solved.  Any Help Nokia?

Please use plain text.
ShaneHug

I've had the same problem this morning.  Any chance of Nokia commenting or have i go to return the phone to the shop and go back to HTC?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

try a soft reset, then if it isn't solved, a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). bear in mind hard reset wipes all personal data so make backup to PC and/or online storage first. if problems persist, then take your phone back to the shop, and if they are being less than helpful, to your local Nokia: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
alibear09

I had been dealing with this from the start of day 1. Sure I thought that the update will fix all the problems with the bugs and such, but still it always require soft reset overnight when setting the alarm or when it is plugged in for charging overnight. I Hope Nokia and Microsoft could look into these issues and help us fix our problems. To me, I was thinking of turning off the wifi when going to bed to see if it would make a difference! Hope you guys have some helpful tips on what else we could try! And I still hope Nokia/Microsoft could look at this issue!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pitmik

I got my Lumia 920 on 12.12.2012. Phone is not locked to any operator (I'm using Elisa SIM in Finland).

Since the very beginning the phone just switched off by itself few times per day. And did not wake up by pressing the power button. I had to do a soft reset every time by pressing volume down + power buttons for 10 seconds (soft reset preserves all personal data, unlike hard reset). When the phone woke up it had wrong time (the time the phone had been flashed at the factory?), but after waiting for a while, the phone got correct time from the mobile network (I have this feature enabled).

I sent the phone to Nokia service via my operators's service point on 21.12.2012 and got it back on 15.1.2013. It took some time since it was Christmas holiday time in Finland, and the phone had been finally sent to Nokia contract service in Czech Republic. The operator would have given me a replacement phone right away, but they had none in their stock.

In the service only thing they had done was flashing the phone SW into version:

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.1001

I think this is the Portico update that has started rolling out now.

However, this SW update did not the fix my issue. I was still experiencing daily switch offs requiring soft reset. Even when using "vanilla" phone for a while, not installing any extra applications on top of the flashed SW version by the service.

But I have been continuously trying out various settings, suggested by different users in different Nokia Support Discussions forum threads.

Latest settings I have been trying out (as suggested by someone):

- Using static picture as lock screen background (instead of Bing or some other dynamically changing lock screen picture).
- Setting lock screen time-out to Never (locking the phone manually every time not using it).

After these settings, I haven't had any switch offs so far (in one full day). I'll continue following the situation and will report here if the phone switches off by itself still.

Also, when I put my phone charging over night using wireless charging plate, I put the phone into fligt mode (switching off all connectivity). In the morning the phone is fully charged and haven't switched off by itself. This works for me since I don't need/want to receive any calls or SMSs during the night. And anyway I don't trust my Lumia 920 as an alarm clock yet, using my Nokia N9 for that. :smileywink:

I have been following these forums actively, since I have had this problem with my Lumia 920. I have just noticed that some people who write here, haven't realized this:

"This is mainly a peer-to-peer support forum, and Nokia does not provide direct customer support to all questions via these boards. If you wish to get personal assistance from Nokia customer support by phone or email, please visit the "Contact Us" section of your local Nokia website."

Please use plain text.
Mablott

Thanks. They were both off anyway. I have gone to another brand of phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
pitmik

I wrote earlier:

Latest settings I have been trying out (as suggested by someone):

- Using static picture as lock screen background (instead of Bing or some other dynamically changing lock screen picture).
- Setting lock screen time-out to Never (locking the phone manually every time not using it).

For some reason I had one full day w/o the phone switching off by itself. But since I have again experienced more few daily switch offs.

It might be HW issue then? But I have heard some rumors that also some other WP8 phones in addition to Lumia 920 would have this issue too. So it might be also WP8 OS issue that should be fixed by MS?

But I have no definite information whether this really is Lumia 920 HW os WP8 OS issue...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Max_b

Fiddling around is a waste of time in my experience, what you're experiencing is either a hardware and/or software problem that is outside of your control... you can either put up with it, or, get a replacement handset, or refund.

Personally speaking, I think obtaining a replacement handset would make your choices clearer

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hyraclyon

I solved this exact problem by re-inserting my sim card. I then got a message that I didn't get before that said a new sim card has been detected. Since then it hasn't shut down a single time.

My sim card was cut from a mini sim card. If you have this specific issue of the phone shutting down when not in use and you have cut your sim from a mini sim I suggest getting a new micro sim card. You can also try the same as I did, take out your sim and make sure the edges where it was cut are smooth. Also try cleaning it before reinserting. If that doesn't work get a new one.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
devilkin777

Hello,

I have some problem. I have got new L920 from 15th February. (Orange SK)

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.1001

If WiFi si ON (D-Link) and will be lock of display then after some time the phone switched off and can not turn on.

I had to do a soft reset every time by pressing volume down + power buttons for 10 seconds.

I now have two options:

1. If WiFi is ON - don't lock screen!

2. If WiFi is OFF - It seems I can lock screen

I hope then will be fix this bug (yesterday update settings app?) from microsoft or nokia soon.

Disable WiFi connection is only temporary solution!

I will try if switched off when mobile connections to internet + lock display tomorow.

NOKIA OR MICROSOFT PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
devilkin777

Appear to that, the synchronization of e-mails in the background via the mobile connection is OK.
I hope that fix of WIFI connection after timeout of screen will come soon.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pitmik

My Lumia 920 is switching off many times per day again. Only soft reset will wake it up.

Submitted it to Nokia servcie via my operator for the second time now.

First time the service just flashed the phone SW to Portico update.

Have to see if they do something else this time, or finally send me another device.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PaulJellyOwen

Same problem still exists and neither MS, Voda or Nokia will admit there is a problem.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Try doing this troubleshooting steps

Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8

Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

Warning: Resetting your phone will return it to the same state it was in the first time you turned it on. All your personal content in the phone, including text messages and apps that you been purchased and downloaded (may be re-downloaded again) will be erased, and the phone will be restore to the factory settings.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.