Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia Freezing on first startup

Advisor
mexo100

Lumia Freezing on first startup

Got my Nokia Lumia 800 phone today and after starting the phone for the first time phone freezes and is totaly unresponsive. All buttons are also unresponsive (back, home, search). Phone becomes responsive when I press Power key, screen gets black, pressing power key again phone becames responsive, but after 5 seconds of usage it starts to freeze again!?!

This behaviour is totaly unacceptable! I can not use my PHONE!, When you buy an expensive phone it should just work, I wouldn't need to do any hacks to make it work. If it is not fixable I'll buy freeking Iphone, because it just works!!!.

Hope that some Nokia support employee will respond as I see many other have freezing issue but they need to reboot the phone?!?! (even worse)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia Freezing on first startup

Sounds you have a faulty unit. Since it is brand new, I would suggest returning it to the store for a replacement. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

Go to the store you bought it from and demand a replacement instantly, you don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for the replacement.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Hi mexo100,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Nokia discussion forum.

Im sorry to hear the current experience you have had with your Lumia device.

Just so I understand when you first switch on the device and did then general setup i.e. set the time, date, your Live I.D were you able to do this initial setup or was it completely frozen?

Have you plugged in the mains charger and allowed the device to charge? 

If you have and left it to charge and still can't start it up, try plugging it into your P.C and using the USB charger allow to charge for about 30 mains or so then while still plugged in hold the power button down for about 8 seconds and you should feel the device vibrate and then the device should switch on.

If you can provide me with as much information about at what stage the freezing is occurring.

If you have done the initial setup and get to main screen with the tiles and these are unresponsive and none of the button works the you can either contact your local support which you can find on the below link:

http://www.nokia.com/se-sv/support/

or contact your point of purchase or network provider (if you under contract) and report this issue.

If you can give me a more detailed breakdown on at what point the device is freezing or is it just simply not coming on. Then would be great.

If you can get back to me on this. 

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

I bought it online, got "package" today. Talked to support now, it will be complicated procedure, they need to return it to the their supplier, and their supplier to the subcontracter and after that to Nokia, which will come with conclusion. I'll will need to wait at least an month. Really, really bad, Phone should work from the start, especially expensive ones! Don't they have any test department, this should been discrovered earlied and resolved as others same similar problems!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

[ Edited ]

I'd be more **bleep** off at the dealer you bought it from, where do you live? There are some laws protecting customers in these kinds of situations if you live in the EU. You should get a replacement right away if they have it in stock if you bring it back within a few days, at least this has been the case with me if I've been angry, and not given up if they just say no.

I'm really surprised how many people have problems with their Nokias, I've had more problems with my iPhone, and their support was really bad, so personally I'm really satisfied, I guess it's just plain luck if you get a faulty device these days, since everything is made in china or whatever.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

[ Edited ]

Hi

Yes the phone was charged for about 30 minutes, and I initiated startup with charger on, behaviour started during the setup also but I didn't reacted, because I thougth it was maybe setup issue.

I have also unpluggen main charger and saw battery was 90%, tried usage without charger didn't resolve the issue.

I have not tried to connect it to the P.C, as I see that battery has recharged. I will try that too.

I have tested also pressing power button for 8 secons as you said, but it didn't help.

I have also tried to do factory reset now, phone start to freezes again.

Phone is freezing randomly after using it for 5 to 10 seconds(pressing on the screen). When I say freezing I mean it is unresponsive, buttons too are also unresponsive. Only way to resolve it is either to restart it or to press power button (screeen off) and power button again. But that resolution just works for 5-10 second of usage phone and it starts to freeze(became unresponsive) again.

Maybe it is an "feature" to press power button off/on after using the phone for more that 5, to 10 seconds (right).

I have talked to supplier and I need to return it now, after having it for more than 3 hours and wait for one month. 

I am deeply disappointed as I have waited to buy an private phone with Win Phone 7 since I heard that  MS is starting to developing one (more than 3 years). 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

Yes that is true. I live in Sweden and using laws protecting the customers will be even longer procedure. As an customer you have right to spend your money but when it comes to support they do not want to see you as it cost them (company).

I have said excatly as you said demanding new phone or replacement, but no luck there. Claiming my rights did not help, they tell me that I need to wait as they can not do nothing, they also need to wait for their supplier, subcontracter and Nokia, but they could give med new phone (that is my opinion) and wait for this to fix, but they didn't wanted to do that.

Complaining will take at least 6 months. It seems I had a bad luck, but still I payed for the phone and I expec that it WORKS, simple as that.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

Take it straight to Nokia with the receipt and all other relevant documents, that way you won't have to wait longer than 2-3 weeks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

I bought it online and not directly from Nokia so Nokia will not accept it, talked with their support about it. It has to go through the bureaucratically procedure, from supplier to subcontractor to Nokia and back. I'll try to complain, but....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Your sale and purchase contract is with the vendor and not with Nokia. Hence, by law your first port of call is the vendor. If the device is faulty straight out of the box then it should be possible to get a exchange from the vendor rather then a repair. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

[ Edited ]

Weird, when I had problems, I asked a certified customer care center here in Austria, and they said I could either bring it to them or take it back to the shop, the only thing they weren't able to do is exchange the device directly, however they would've been able to sent it to the repair center, regardless of where it was purchased.

But like cjlim said, I'm still of the opinion that they are required, to exchange it right away since it has been faulty from the start.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

As cljilm said, that are the rules. The vendor would not replace the phone with new as they need to send it to their support, bla, bla to nokia, and first after that I'll get repaired or new phone (one month). They say package is broken.
Lesson learned do not buy any electronic equipment online, buy it in Stores so you see person selling it to you.
I will also make official complaint to see where would that lead.
But the problem should not exist in the first place!!!
My money is gone, I could invest them in something else for that month I am waiting and get return on investment.

I would not recommend anyone to buy Nokia with windows phone after seeing now how many people have problems with it.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Carltabi

[ Edited ]

Hi!

With every purchase you make (direct or indirect, you have a cooling  off period of X numbers of day. This will depend on your local laws and differ from country to country. During this period  you can return the item(s) to the vendor without any question ask.

Furthermore, you are entitled to a similar product (where applicable) in line with your original order/ purchase or a full refund, should you wish to do so. This will not affect your statutory rights!

Should you face any issue after the cooling-off-period, you will need to contact the manufacturer directly and not the retailer. In most cases, people tend to go back to the retailer as the first point of contact.

If the latter has been applied, the retailer will provide assistance where necessary. If in doubt, then you can always contact the manufacturer directly.

Regards

Carl

If this post answers your question, you can help others by clicking the green accepted solution' button.

Please ask your questions to the main board and not to my mailbox. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

Thanks Carl for reply. As you said it depend from country to country. Here in Sweden we can not return the opened item(phone) as they can not sell it again.
What do you mean by cooling off?
I agree that I should get a similar product or full refund but after many talks with all several people I ordered phone from, they want give me back replacement nor new phone nor money back. That is why I''l make official complaint to the consumers rights office.
But this kind of problem with Phone should not be there at the first place.
Talking with Nokia support was very good as they instructed me what to do with my vendor. Talking and contacting vendor was not good.
So there are two issues here, vendor from where I ordered the phone sucks, and the first problem phone do not work from the beginning.
I have returned the phone with post for 10 minutes ago.
Now I need to wait, but I am really disappointed with Nokia-Win Phone after this experience.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

In most countries, the law regarding online selling specifies a cooling off period. It means you have the option of returning the goods within this period after receiving it for a full refund if you it is not to your satisfaction. I would be very surprised if Sweden being in the EU does not have a similar law. 

With regards to the problem with your phone, things like this do happen from time to time. It could be a manufacturing fault or it could have been damaged in transit to you. Unfortunately, it is the luck of the draw. Most Lumia purchasers are happy with their phones, otherwise there will be millions of people here complaining. I personally have had no issues with mine since I got it 4 months ago. 

My advice would be to find out about your local laws regarding distance selling, advice the vendor you know your legal right and you demand they either issue you with a replacement or a full refund.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mexo100

Hi

cljim I have done that (pointed to the law about the distance selling), but there is no point to talk to the vendor, that is why I need to make complaint to the consumer office as consumer office recomended.

Still all this takes my time, effort and nerves. Windows Phone as not so many features as Android and It should be less problems but there aren't. See only just for the threads in this nokia forum.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Carltabi

[ Edited ]

mexo100  This is directly from the Swedish Consumer Rights web site. You will notice that this information is the same for most EU countries but it doesn't necessary means it is using the EURO as a currency.

You can always return items back to the vendor and if the packaging is missing you may incur a charge. Those charges are not set by statute but are expecting to be reasonable for the parties concerned.

Again, this is subject to the fact that you haven't exceeded or gone beyond the cooling-off period. That will be 14 days for Sweden.

The link provided will explained it in more detail for the country in question.

Thanks and have a great day.

Carl

If this post answers your question, you can help others by clicking the green accepted solution' button.

Please ask your questions to the main board and not to my mailbox. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
nindza

Hi all

I have had exactly same issue with my Lumia 800. Bougth the phone and it freezes after short usage.

I have called Nokia support and they said that I can return the phone to the vendor and write DOA (dead on arrival) and I will get new phone, Nokia support was very helpfull and You can actually call them.

My vendor has only chat support and I reported the error same day and returned the phone same day (have proof, when received and when send package). I have claimed my right to cancel the purchase next day after registring support case, but vendor did't want to accept it.

Like Carl writes one has rights but only in teory, I am too from Sweden.

Now I have been waiting for 45 days for some information about the phone, I have tried to demand new phone, replacement, cancel order again (14 day rigth in sweden) but nothing from vendor. They don't care, they only wanted me to pay their invoice for the phone.

I got a phone nr. where I can call subcontracter that handles support for vendor, and they too were helpfull saying vendor did not respond to questions from support for two weeks! (nothing unusaul as they said). 

I chated again with vendor telling them to send all nessesery papert/answers and asking ,why they didn't do that earlier as we have talked more that 5 times before, me asking how it progress with support case. First after that support subcontracter could start the case to send it to Nokia,

I needed to verify again and call subcontracter to see if they received all information nedeed from vendor.

After that it went one, two, three weeks, and I did't get any information from vendor as they didn't know anything.

Now it has went 45 days since I returned the phone which I had for 3 hours.

Talking with chat with vendor today they told med that Nokia refused two days ago DOA case as there is nothing wrong with the phone? WHAT!!!

Now googling I see that others have such issues, what is that Nokia?! I am so stupid to return functional phone?Please come one...

I will try to film now phone usage when I get it back to have solid proof that the phone is freezing. Maybe Nokia installed new firmwire and it works now but still I have been waiting for 45 days and counting for phone.

As a consumer your rights sucks. Both Nokia and vendor can say whatever they want.

I have last week talked with consumer rigths people and created complaint about the vendor, claiming right to cancel the purchase, and claiming to get money back, we will see what happens.

Vendor: Halebop - be aware!

Nokia: Fix the phones please!

Microsoft: Fix OS, if you can or if you any time left as Android and IoS are years ahead.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

There will always be a percentage of users with problems with their handsets and this is the case with all manufacturers. This is a supoport forum so naturally most here have a problem which brings them here. The same will apply if you visit the support forum for any other manufacturer. 

The numbers here are a very small percentage in comparison to total number of handsets sold. None of my friend with Lumia's have any issues with theirs which should mean something.

It is unfortunate there was a problem with your handset, but your real problem at the moment is with the vendor. You should not let that put you off another Lumia. 

Please use plain text.