Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia - Symbian compatibility issues

Counsellor

Lumia - Symbian compatibility issues

I'm afraid this topic calls for an entirely new discussion area...

In our family the parents are using Symbian devices, E7-00 and E6-00. Now we bought two Lumia 710's for the teenager kids and a whole world of new troubles seems to have opened for us. Some of the issues may stem from lack of advice and clear description of the logic how Windows Phone services should be configured and used, for example, where to register and why (windowsphone.com, zune.net, live.com, xbox.com). Besides, if you have to chance the Windows Live ID stored in the phone's memory, the only way to get rid of the ole ID is to do a factory reset and start setting up the phone from scratch.

Then, the way Zune PC application works is very different from Nokia Suite, which neatly interates apps and content related functionality.

When it comes to interaction between Nokia's Symbian and Windows products, the mess is evident. An attempt to do Bluetooth pairing between two Nokia products, Nokia Lumia 710 and Nokia E7-00 results in an error message "Not Supported" and no connection is possible.

On top of that,  while a basic SMS between WP and Symbian devices seems to work, sending e.g. calendar entries or business cards doesn't. Nevertheless, E7 gives a delivery report that everything is fine. This is particularly annoying as this issue has been widely criticized with iPhone and now Nokia can't get it solved between their own products.

All in all, Lumia is far from being a mature product and lots of development, documentation and users' own tips and tricks are necessary to make it work at least to a degree.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi kaaremi,

Thanks for your post.

A Lumia Windows Phone and a Symbian based device like the E7-00 are two completely different products which while carrying the same brand name take a very different approach to how the phone works. It would be like expecting a Ford model with diesel engine to work the same as a Ford model with a gasoline engine.

First off registration, this is actually fairly straightforward since when first starting the Lumia 710 you will get asked to register with your live.com LiveID or create one. While Microsoft is in the process of unifying the different account types into one 'Microsoft account' they are all alike as is and so for all intends and purposes you can use either of the ones you mentioned, but most common would be a LiveID registered at http://live.com

As many of the phone's functions are directly linked to the primary liveID for privacy reasons alone having to reset to change it makes sense.

As far as Zune and Nokia Suite go, these are very different as well. Windows Phone integrates in to your LiveID environment where you have a realtime and online sync relation for contacts and calendar with your account.

While Symbian devices only recently got the ability to have apps 'pushed' to them by Nokia Drop this has been common for Windows Phone. From the Marketplace your can send apps to your phone straight from the website or on the phone itself without needing a 'middleman' in the form of PC software. Zune functions mainly as a sync tool for media files and performing system updates. Except for updates this can be done over WiFi so when your phone connects to your home network it will sync media files with Zune automatically without the need for a physical connection. You can also copy content to the SkyDrive which is Linked to your LiveID from where the a Windows Phone has access to it as well.

Bluetooth support on Windows phone is used for audio and/or phone functionality in the car only. The file transfer profile is not supported.

Syncing contact and calendar data from and E7 is as easy as setting up your liveID as a mail for Exchange account. Once setup these will sync with your LiveID and by doing so will also appear on the Lumia without the need for a separate action. To do so you need these parameters:

mailaddress and username - your LiveID
password
domain can be empty or be 'hotmail'
server address - m.hotmail.com

Contact and Calendar SMS messages sent from a Nokia Phone will only be recognized as such by another Nokia phone.

Finally, while I can understand that when you are used to and set in the ways a Nokia Sx0 or Symbian phone works starting out with a Lumia may feel very different. That has more to do with them being like 'apples and oranges' then one being more mature then the other. In the end both are fruit. A lot of information on how Windows Phone works can be found on http://windowsphone.com

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help where we can!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Dear Kosh,

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation.

Still, could you please give me a bit of practical advice on a very practical issue.

In a business setting we have various phones and when dealing with external parties such as customers or business parties with whom we need to swap electronic business cards via Bluetooth or SMS on Ad Hoc basis. Quite obviously, people use different phones (even within one company) and e.g. logging in or syncing some cloud service accounts is not a practical option. 

In many cases it is a good idea to send an Electronic Business Card via SMS before making a phone call or pass a calendar entry  with time and venue or a meeting or lunch. So far, I have managed to send contact details from Nokia E7 to Lumia 710 only via e-mail., When sending a calendar entry, Lumia gave an error message that it could open a simple standard  .vcs file attachment. When sending contact details or calendar entries at least from Symbian prohne to Lumia I even got a Delivery Receipt while the message never appeared on Lumia (iPhone at least receives an unreadable message so that the recipient can get back to the sender to sort out the issue - not much better, of course).

So, how do  suggest to pass contact details and calendar entries between  a Windows Phone such as Lumia and other devices such as Nokia Symbian Belle products on Ad Hoc basis? IMHO, stripping off useful features is not a way forward.

I trust it's obvious to you that this kind of data transfer is a necessity in business setting and a very useful feature  in non-business use as well. 

P.S. As to your remark about Fords with gasoline and diesel engines, both allow doing the basic things such as transporting people and their belongings. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdh1948

Having been in the IT arena since the early 70's, I take excpetion to your auto engine comparison. Since Nokia has the code access for both SYMBIAN and WINDOWS, this is just one of many IT scenarios that require an application to translate the data from one application platform to another application platform, fairly common place within the IT arena.  There is honestly no reason that the Nokia phones could not have had an application that runs a a PC, take the information from a NOKIA SYMBIAN phone and manipulate it into the proper format and import it to the NOKIA WINDOWS phone.

This phone release seems to have ignored the basic concept of having customers that matter enough to them, that they take the time to assure the migration from their existing phone to the new phone is quick and painless. Windows LIVE ID is not the answer for a few reasons, one being that  not everyone wants to use the CLOUD or some other form of 3rd party off-site on-line storage and access. The basic concept of sync between PC and Phone is what is required at a minimum, the LIVE ID and other such thngs are window dressings that can be additional features for those whom opt to go that route.

The C7 (myself) and e73 (my wifes) phones are in the process of being replaced by the Nokia Lumia 710, but the problems with retaining what is important has become so problematic, that I am ready to return the phones and just quit dealing with NOKIA all together. The only clean transfer option is for the contact list, and Windows LIVE ID has trashed both of our contact lists, between dkuplicating entries, linking entries that have no relationship, scrambling photos that were associated with specific phones to other entries with no apparent rhyme or reason.  We have not been able to transfer the calendar information over, nor anything else of importance on the phone. We shold not have to usee different applications to migrate different apps for various phone features (contacts, calendars, phots, messages, ...).

What is the incentive to switch to a phone if the process will cause one to lose most of what is important to them, and have to work hard to salvage what little they can?  This is compounded by having an OS that removes the control from the end user and leaves them with apps that no longer work like they want them to.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Indeed, it's sad to see how the formar leader in mobile and smartphones appears to be striving to abandon the loyal customers.Looks like the Nokia Board consistently fails to ask the right questions. 

Another example is the fact that there still is no Lumia product with physical QWERTY-keyboard to convert millions of the long-time users of Communicators and their successors to Lumia. Luckily, my E7 works fine and I will try to keep it carefully while wainting for a similar form factor (hopefully with a camera for business users - to shoot business cards and A4 documents from sufficiently close range). 

"Sic transit gloria mundi" 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bawbee

Kareem

I endorse the comments from you and pdh1948.  I have used Nokia phones for 20 + years and own a Nokia E7-00.  I have also decided to try a Lumia 800, which I have now been using for 6 months.  It has the potential to be an excellent phone and could sit alongside the E7 quite easily if only Microsoft and Nokia would realise that the Lumia has to integrate with a great deal of technology that is not dependant on Windows Live, it has to integrate with many applications and devices, regardless of  manufacturer or operating system, if it is to succeed.

There are numerous good things about the Lumia but there are also some distinctly negative issues.  Some of these I raise below:-

(1) Zune is clearly aimed at dealing with apps and music but does not provide straightforward access to the contents of the Lumia such as SMS messages, contacts and contacts.  Personally, I am not interested in linking all my contacts the way Windows Live and Zune decide.  Nokia Suite is far superior package in every respect.

(2) Kosh states that “Bluetooth support on Windows phone is used for audio and/or phone functionality in the car only. The file transfer profile is not supported.”  I can add that Bluetooth support on the Nokia Lumia does not support connection to the Nokia Bluetooth SU-8W Keyboard.  I note however that my daughter’s Apple iPhone 4 connects perfectly (as do my E7 and my HP TouchPad)!  Is it really so difficult to implement other functionality from the Bluetooth stack on the Lumia?

I also find the last comment from Kosh  “Finally, while I can understand that when you are used to and set in the ways a Nokia Sx0 or Symbian phone works starting out with a Lumia may feel very different. That has more to do with them being like 'apples and oranges' then one being more mature then the other. In the end both are fruit.” to be vacuous and unhelpful. I am most certainly not set in my ways

There clearly has been little regard for the numerous excellent areas of functionality in Nokia Symbian phones and we are being presented with the usual Microsoft “do it our way” approach.  Sadly, if Nokia and Microsoft don’t deal with this properly and promptly, I am sure they will fail in their attempts to restore a fine company to its former glory.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bluebase

Dear Pdh1948,

I very much agree with you based on several of your comment above, I am an IT consultant and can't understand why basic function in a mobile phones can't be functional between tow Nokia products. Bluetooth connectivity, file transfer, data backup and so much.

Quite frankly, this product has failed to put the end users into consideration at the point of manufacturing, I know in system development, user/client requirement a gathered extensively and repeatedly for any application to be successful, this nokia has failed to do.
Secondly, weather applications or devices or gadgets are not designed with controls in hand of manufacturable but end users ultimately, so restrict users of th lumia to window live Id is dis functional and unacceptable and like u rightly said, that out to be a window dressing.
It does not require much must an interment developer to write a few codes to translate date and file from Symbian to window phone and bis va Sa. I think Nokia should do back to the drawing Board to resolve this if they desire to keep their loyal clients. For me it very fruiting to lean all this only after ordering a lumia 800. I guess I may have to sell it off on arrival.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
surfbored

Some genius comments on here, thanks all, good reading. Was just searching for the answer about using a Bluetooth keyboard with my Lumia 800.
Question answered of course....resounding NO.
I just find it so strange that a phone with a great office suite doesn't do a qwerty keyboard.
Please use plain text.
jekiboi20

Please use plain text.