Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia broken usb connector, phone won't charge

debk

Lumia broken usb connector, phone won't charge

The local Nokia repair store says my 3-month-old Lumia has a "broken" USB connector.  This seemed so outrageous that I searched and found this forum with several similiar complaints hidden in other threads. 

The symptom is that the phone won't charge... which is similiar to several other software related problems. However, to reduce confusion, let's please focus this thread on broken/damaged USB connectors.

If your phone won't charge, you can check if you have a broken USB.  Just look at yours in comparison to a USB connector on a different phone. 

I believe this is a manufacturing/part failure in the Nokia. I did not damage my phone.  Another poster's phone had this same problem directly out of the box.  Another user was eventually successful in getting Nokia to replace his phone.

I'm very curious as to how wide-spread the problem is.  If appropriate, Nokia needs to admit this is a problem with the Lumia and instruct all Service Centers to replace at no charge. 

(My local service center wants €290 + 23% IVA to repair what I did not break.)

Anyone else with a (new) Lumia with a broken USB connector?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
linder23544

Re: Lumia broken usb connector, phone won't charge

Have the same problem. Phone used 3 days and the contact for charging disconnected into the phone. Noka service claims misused-nomwarranty. **bleep**!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you are certain that no misuse has occurred you need to submit a written complaint to Nokia and state your case. They are more capable of resolving disputes like this than care points or service centres.

Call Nokia care in your country and ask for the complaints address. Write a constructive letter and you will receive a reply.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sriash

Hi,

I am likely to buy Lumia 800 and would like to know if this issue is seen often, if that is the case then i will defer byuing this phone. Please let me know.

Thanks,

-Srini

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I haven't seen many posts about this issue and neither me or any of my friends that got the Lumia 800 back in December has suffered this issue.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

@debk
@linder23544

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having.

As psychomania has mentioned I would recommend you contact your local Nokia care line and explain the situation.
Furthermore I would also recommend you guys email support.discussions@Nokia.com with your full details and a detailed breakdown of the service you have had.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

Hi

I took my Lumia to My Three shop and they sent it away to their Sevice centre whereever that is. It was Three that said it was a Damaged USB Connector and is not covered on the Warranty. After receiving no Joy I contacted Nokia Direct at their Main English Office and they quickly arranged for the phone to be returned to them for a Second opinion. They came back with NFF. No Fault Found and there was certainly no damage. They sent a new Lumia out as a replacement and I have had no issues with it since, although I can't help wondering how long this will last. It is worth considering Legal advice as there are a number of people with the same issues. Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
debk

Many thanks for the responses.  So far, three of us have found our way to this thread with the same problem... :smileysad:

Per the suggestions, I will contact the main number for Nokia care and will write, as well, if necessary.   It will definitely help to refer to the detailed example of NFF, thank you.   I'll post again once resolved and/or if I hit a roadblock.

Hope others will update with their resolution successes/failures, too!

Please use plain text.
md1234

[ Edited ]

I just had the same problem.  I took My Lumia into to T Mobile and they told me the usb connector was  broken.  They charged me $20 and told me Nokia would send me out a new cell phone and  I have to send the old phone back. Nokia will evaluate it to determine if it was a manufacturing defect or user defect.  If it was caused by the user then I would be responsible for the full charge.  It seems to me that this is happening too often and therefore is a manufacturing defect.  The store that I brought my phone to also told me that it was a common problem.  My wife has connected her I-Phone daily for years and has never had a problem.  I connected my previous Android phone daily for 1-2 years and also no problem.  

Moderator's note; removed content outside the forum guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
catherine1989

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia, been using it for 2 weeks. The battery went dead on Saturday, and it hasn't charged since. It will turn on and the vodafone picture comes up on it. Then goes off again, I took it to three places and they tried to tell me water damage (which it could not be as my phone hasnt been near any water) therefore they are trying to say my warranty is null and void?? Upon going to a forth place to have it looked at they said it was the usb charging port is broken, but cannot fix it as its such a new phone here that they cannot get parts for it? Does anybody think it is worth while to contact nokia for help or would I be wasting my time?? The phone was so expensive and dont want to have to buy a new one?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
meon4

so far mine is charging but after reading this I expect that to be the next of a long list of issues I am having with this phone. am on replacement number 3 and waiting for number 4. The price of this phone certainly does not match the quality!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
meon4

I would not buy any Lumia model at all, I won't buy another Nokia either. i had a brand new Lumia 710 and it has never worked. I am gong on replacement number 4. Please look at other phones before you regret it
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
meon4

I have done all of that and am waiting on a call back from Nokia's customer care people. First they wanted me to ship my phone in for their techs to look at it but without an offer for at least a loaner phone I don't know how they expect me to do that?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
maarten1983

I have the same problem. The connector pin has been broken off and they say its user damage. The phone isn't even worth repairing they say, only because a 70 ct peice is damaged:

http://www.gultek.eu/mobile-phone-spare-parts/charging-connector/nokia/lumia-800.html

I asume, the connector is solidly attachted to the mainboard, so they're not able to replace only the connector, but the entire mainboard needs to be replaced, witch off course is very expensive. I think it's a desigs flaw to put a part that a part witch has to be used once a day (specially with this battery) fixed to the mainboard. The part is likely to wear and tear and possibly to damage, immediately making the phone useless.

Most to my frustration i didn't get a message from nokia, only a sticker that is was user damage! Even the employees from the vodaphone store were supprised. The had phoned me my telefone was fixed!!! because there wasn't a bill included. So that was a serieus dissapointment when i came to pick it up. The only thing Nokia does is send my a detailed photo of the broken pin, witch is also vissible with my naked eye.

For now i'm only searching for the cheapest way to get my phone fixed, because i still have to pay for it. any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neilrossgoco

I have the same problem. When I plug-in my charger (either thru wall socket or computer), the phone will detect it and will play the charger connected notification sound but when I check the charging current on the Diagnostics app it always reports that it is discharging. I have to hold the USB cable to gain a good amount of current to charge the phone, or else it will power off and die. The micro USB port seems to be damaged and is loose.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mderooij

Guess how I got to this topic :smileysad:

Won't charge unless I hold the connector in a certain position; data transfer is a challenge (upgrading to Tango impossible, as it could potentially brick it). @nokia_helps pointed me to care point, well, off to the care point then ..

(consumer rights are perhaps bit different than in other countries, if this soldering is inferior and normal wear apparently causes this, the product is to be considered inferior and it's to be taken replaced without questions because it's still WAY under warranty - like others said, never had issues with HTC, Samsung or iPhone connectors, few months of Lumia and **bleep** ..).

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Has anyone ever in the history of wee electrical gadgets ever broken a USB connector? How, if all you're doing is connecting the cable supplied, is that possible?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yiweifeng

I have the same problem in the United States and the phone won't charge. No any misuse and it is the lumia 900 phone. The computer cannot recognize it and wont charge it at all. Customer service is not helpful at all. Hopeless.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

As the USB connector is recessed into the body of the phone how is it possible to be abused? Nokia's reluctance to accept warranty for this has nothing to do with abuse but the cost of replacing it which involve a whole motherboard change. Users who have been abused like this should complain to their consumer regulatory bodies instead of taking this lying down.

Please use plain text.
ejb222

Cyan L900 here. Bought my phone in April and now the factory charger wont work and my phone barely charges when plugged into the PC. Haven't seen a full charge in a week. Even loses charge overnight when plugged in.HELP!
Please use plain text.