Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time ...

Counsellor
mayafab
Accepted Solution

Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time update"; "find my phone" - connected?

Hi,

Pls advise - on MS website it says:

"Other Speech commands you can turn on

You can turn on additional Speech commands and functions in your phone's settings, including talking caller ID for incoming calls and texts. You can even tell your phone to read you a text and then dictate and send a reply.

To turn on Speech for accessibility, tap Settings > Ease of access, and then turn on Speech for phone accessibility. This enables the following:

• Talking caller ID for phone calls. When you get a call, your phone will announce the name or number of the caller."

But in my "Settings" there is NO "Ease of Access" - how come?

2. People are saying that turning off "Auto time update" saves battery, but I cant find it at all, pls advise where in the menus?

3. In "Settings", under "Find my phone" there is a smal font writing - "connected" but when I open this, both tick-boxes are unticked.

thanks in advance for sharing info.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

Re: Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time update"; "find my phone&q

Perhaps provide a link of where you read this.

Perhaps you are confusing instructions for Windows Mobile with Windows Phone. (They are two completely different platforms, the former is aimed at business people, the latter at consumers).
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

[ Edited ]

A link to the web page where these features are described is this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/basics/use-speech-on-my-phone.aspx

The Original Poster is definitely talking about the Windows Phone platform, and not Windows Mobile.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

Re: Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time update"; "find my phone&a

The kicker is, of course, the last sentence at the bottom of the web page:

"Speech may not be available in your country or region"

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

On my phone the Auto Update for the clock is under

Settings -> Date+Time ->Auto Set

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

@gcoupe, thanks

"Speech may not be available in your country or region"

My region is UK, I can't imagine that there is no English announcement!  Do moderators have an idea?

@foxmeister, thanks too

“Settings -> Date+Time ->Auto Set”

On my device, the “Date+Time” screen does not have “Auto Set”.  I can't paste a screenshot, but what I have is only:

24-hour clock slider-switch ("on" in my case)

Time zone window (UTC Dublin etc. in my case)

Date window

Time window

And that’s it, no “Auto-set”. How can that be?  Maybe it’s the OS/Firmware?  Mine is as follows:

OS version: 7.10.7740.16

Firmware: 1600.2475.7720.11414

I think that I have the latest and most updated [whatsoever] on my device (at least this is what Zune tells me) – but is it possible that the “Auto set” is because of different OS/Firmware version?  Where is Aspergerguy when you need him :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

This is all very odd, because it does appear as though your phone is displaying slightly different menus. For example, I definitely have a "Set automatically" switch under the Settings -> date+time section. If it's "Off" then I get to choose the time zone, and a couple of other things; but once it's set "On" those fields disappear, and the time zone is set to whatever I had selected when it was "Off".

I also have an "ease of access" section in the Settings menu that has two sections: TTY/TDD mode Off/Full and "Speech for phone accessibility"

What do you have in your region+language section of the Settings, and what are the values? I have several fields (my selections shown in []):

- Display language [English (UK)]

- Region format [English (UK)]

- Short date [02/01/2012)

- Long date [02 January 2012]

- First day of week [Monday]

- System locale [Ducth (Netherlands)]

- Browser & search language [English (UK)]

Note that since I'm in the Netherlands (but prefer to have my phone displaying English), that's why my system locale is set to Dutch, but I have also had it set to English (UK) without any apparent difference.

The only other thing that I can think of is that my phone is unlocked and unbranded. It's possible that your carrier has locked some settings, and this may account for why you don't appear to be seeing the same menu items as the rest of us.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

[ Edited ]

@gcoupe,

firstly, on the "Language+Region" screen I see the same menu and list as you (excpet setting locale to UK).

Indeed you may be right that the reason to incomplete menus is due to my phone being "branded" (although there is no logo of the provider) by my phone seller, "3" brand.  I bot the phone on a pay-as-you-go (i.e., a pre-paid SIM) from "3" then paid them to unlock it (I am on Vodafone), but this is probably the only difference.

Pls just confirm that your OS and firmware versions are the same as mine (in my previous reply). 

Also, what do you have under "Settings"->"About" on "Carrier"? 

I have "H3G UK SW Variant ID370 v01" (probably H3G means "Hutchison 3G", but this is not critical.  Wonder what you see on your phone on this.

Generally, I think that Nokia shud go the extra kilometer and be very open and tell us, the real enthusiasts and early adopters what is going on, and these forums are a great way to do it.  Can you hear me Nok? 

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

T-Mobile phone in UK. I do not have an "ease of access" section in the Settings menu .

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

[ Edited ]

Firmware: 1600.2479.7740.11451

Hardware: 112.1402.2.4

My carrier info is NOT under the "About" heading in Settings. I have a "mobile network" section instead. That shows the active network as Vodafone NL. There's also a section at the end of the Settings list named "SIM Applications" Choosing that, and then tapping the "show applications" text brings up a list of items from Vodafone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gcoupe

Just to clarify: that "mobile network" item is a heading in the main "Settings" list, it's NOT in the "About" item

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

I'm think some features like Auto TIme setting are network dependant.

So If your network doesn't support this feature it might be disabled in your settings menu

I'm on 3UK and have the Auto Time set but don't have the Ease of Access menu

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Abison

Hi 

I am from India, me too does not have the eas of access option enabled so that i can change. The first lumia 800 which I brought had battery backup issue and I visitied Nokia Care. The nokia care people had placed new software (which did not corrected the batter backup issue). After placing the new software version the phone had the option enabled. However becuase of battery issue Nokia Care had replaced the phone with new one and which does not have the "Eas of Access" option. :smileysad:

So, Nokia people really know what this issue and wondering why no correct reply. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Don't shoot the messenger, but ...

... Ease of Access is a USA mandatory feature. For that reason it is available on USA branded phones.

But - even if the country also has English as language - it is (usually) NOT available on non-USA branded models. Hence even the UK, Australia or India are out of luck.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eddyc

[ Edited ]

I've been suffering the same problem as other posters: I can see the Ease of Access menu, but there is no way to turn on the Speech option.

However: good news! Following some comments on this thread, I decided to try changing the Region to English (US) instead of English (UK). This is on the Settings -> Region screen. You need to click the option to Save & restart the phone to make it take effect.

After the reboot, the Speech option in Ease of Access can now be turned on and off correctly since the slider is visible. I'm sure switching the localisation to US will have some other subtle effects also, but unless they're major distractions, it will be a small price to pay to finally have talking Caller ID working properly.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Abison

Yes it worked when changed to English(United States)
Note that, immediate after changing the language, there will be an option appears to restart, that will do the job (not the phone's switch).
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumiasandeep

eddyc you are a lifesaver!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sathishqusol12

Where can i find regions settings in Settings in Lumia610. I need to set voice mode for incoming calls rather say name for the incoming calls. Please help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
The_Mayank

Re: Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time update"; "find my phone" - connected?

Hey ..
. I have a nokia lumia 610. I can't find ease of access option in settings.
. plz..tell me how to get it..!!!
. My phone software is updated
O.S. version: 7.10.8779.8
firmware revision no.:1066.0000.8779.12340
Hardware revision no.:112.1569.1.0
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Lumia: unable to find "caller annouce", "time update"; "find my phone" - connected?

Availability of these options is both carrier and firmware variant dependent.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.