Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia won't start after dropping it in water

Registered Member
DexiAntoniu

Lumia won't start after dropping it in water

Hello!

I have accidentally dropped my Lumia 520 into the toilet this morning, and it didn't stay there for more than 3 seconds as I was quick to take it out.

I didn't know what to do, so I turned it off and I put it in a towel for a couple of minutes, as I was in a big rush to get the university. 

On my way, I turned it on, but the on/off button stopped working. I kept forcing it to shut down by taking out the battery for a couple of times, hoping that a reboot might fix the problem, but it stopped turning on.

Later I got home, plugged it to see if it charges, but it doesn't, it has no response whatsoever...

Then I read on the net that I should've taken out the battery and cards, and keep it in a bag of rice, so currently, I'm doing so... But I don't know what to do, or if it will work...

Also, somehow water got stuck in the camera, somehow, like some droplets of water formed on the exterior glass of the camera... Will that get sucked out by the rice?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia won't start after dropping it in water

You should not have started your phone. What you should have done is to remove the battery and totally dry your phone first before attempting to restart. By restarting when wet, you could have sort circuited (fried) the fragile circuitry in the phone. Uncooked rice acts as a desiccant and draws the water out. I would still leave it at least a few days, if not longer before attempting to restart. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

Carry on with the rice and leave somewhere warm and dry 24hrs. It is hit and miss whether it works at all or partially. It may also cease to work properly at a later date due to corrosion. Good luck mate 😊
If this was helpful please click Star for Kudos

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

That rice method was recommended for the user to temporarily access the contents of the phone and possibly perform a backup. It was never meant to fix the phone. Sooner or later the phone will definitely fail.
Please use plain text.