Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumina 520 - Proximity Sensor Sticks

gwagner

Recently got a Lumina 520.  It seems that the proximity sensor is not working as it should (too sensitive?)

Noticed that when I go to hang up a call, the screen is black.  So playing with it a bit, here's what it's doing.

Answer call with phone face up on the table.

Slowly bring my hand down (near the proximity sensor)

When I get to within about 5-6" of the phone, screen blanks

Remove my hand ... nothing ... doesn't come back

So the sensor IS detecting my hands presence, but not the removal.

I've noticed a lot of discussion in the Lumina 920 area about dust, etc near the front facing camera.  I don't have a front facing camera on the 520, and it does not seem that there is any dust from what I can see.  Besides ... it works, just won't turn off.

Gone through the usual:

- reboot phone

- reset phone back to factory default

- checked for updates

Nothing.

This is the only issue keeping me from truly enjoying the phone.

For Nokia ... I don't think your proximity sensitivity issues are only with the 920.

Regards,

-- gwagner

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dicey80

Re: Lumina 520 - Proximity Sensor Sticks

Hi,

I've got this problem too which has left me leaving really long voicemails for people because I can't hang up! I've found what works is pressing the power off button twice, but a proper fix for this would be nice!

Please use plain text.
gwagner

I've taken to doing the same thing.  When the call is over, press the power button twice to have the screen re-display, then END or make sure the call is ended.

Since the phone is brand new and under warranty for a while, I'll wait and see if there is a sw update within the warranty period.  If not, or if the next update doesn't fix the issue then it will be RMA time.  One way or another I would like this fixed, it's basic functionality.  I just hope that Nokia is doing something to address it in SW.  I would imagine that having piles of people sending their phones back is not high on everyone's "customer satisfaction" index, nor is it financially helpfull to Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
suman87

I have been using the lumia 520 for quite sometime now.the phone works fine but the only problem is with the proximity sensor.whenever i am talking on the phone the screen goes black but when the call has ended it doesnot turn back on.i have to prees the lock button twice to end the call.it is quite annoying as i am worried about pressing the lock button execessively.NOKIA should take notice of this and try to fix this problem probably by the next software update.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anir1945

I bought the Lumia 520 yesterday, seemed ok at first but i am puzzled to see that when i turn of the phone and plug in the charger, it turns itself on automatically !
and i also wish to know if there is any way i can turn off the sensor.
plus i am not able to set an mp3 file as a ringtone(i don't see any option! ) ...and pls tell me which browser supports this Lumia 520 as the default is not so fast. Plz help..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
itsvalid

You can make the Mp3 file as ringtone by connecting your phone to PC and then dragging the Mp3 file into the ringtone folder...
after that you will see that it will come as option in the ringtones in your phone.
and for the browser...Opera mini is yet not available for windows. So, UC browser seems to be the best browser so far.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shauki

hey guys, I had the same problem till I realised that the screen protector was covering the proximity sensor. i took it off, put a new one (without touching the sensor) and now the proximity sensor works fine. hope this helps!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
VSKC

[ Edited ]

My hand set is lumia 520 .
since last month my proximity sensor was not working properly.two weeks ago it detecting when i keep my hand on the sensor while i was making a call and it was not dectecting my removal of hand .so i thought that it was my screen mate problem and i changes my screen mate and i put an another one .
from yesterday onwards my sensor wan not at all working.screen light was not switching off whne i am making a call.
soo please send a alternative to solve the problem.
I love my phone very much and i love its working.
those things are awesome

Moderator's note: We have amended the subject as the post was moved to the correct board.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
braydon12345

[ Edited ]

When I call or someone calls me I can't see my calling screen and can't hang up iv tried all I can it stays black even when I'm pressing the off button

Moderator's note: We have edited the subject as the post was moved to the proper board.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

Your proximity sensor (hardware) does not work as expected. Either it is dirty (clean the phone), the firmware on your phone confused (reset the phone), or broken (return the phone). If that worked once and/or you cannot return anymore, you have to go for a Nokia Care Point.

Moderator's note: We have edited the subject as the post was moved to the proper board.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

[ Edited ]

hi mate, have you checked that you are up to date with the latest firmware for your device, and also that you are up to date with the latest nokia system app updates from the Store? also try performing a soft reset.

Moderator's note: We have amended the subject as the post was moved to the correct board.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

[ Edited ]

also take off any screen protectors you may be using and see if the proximity sensor is still working.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BretonWarrior

My wife and I both have the Lumia 520, both purchased very recently, my Wifes 520 had this black screen with a call and we have proven that it is the screen protector causing the problem. Interesting point is that my 520 does not do it even with a screen protector? The only difference is my wifes 520 has updated to Lumia Amber and that has also been blamed for the problem. We removed the screen protector and the problem was solved, we have a few spare protectors and trimmed one down at the top to have the edge just below the Nokia name and that works fine. My 520 has had a Hard Re-Set to let me set up again (I changed the Microsoft Account and decided to clear the phone and start again) My 520 will not download the Lumia Amber Update and it reckons that it is fully up to date software wise??? So Lumia Amber may somehow be increasing the proximity sensor sensitivity to a level that even a screen protector is enough to turn the screen off, we tested three different types of protector and all caused the blackout if it covered all the screen.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yelrekazaf

Hi,

I've got a 520 that had the same problem after the lumia black update.

I have no screen protector but I do have a replacement screen (after original got cracked). At first i thought that was the problem but while looking for an app I noticed that after the black update i had 15 pending updates in the Windows Store (yeah, Windows Store) one of which was a nokia update simply called 'Touch'.

After this was installed the problem was solved (I restarted after the update but i dont know if that was necessary).

hope that helps

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
geojoemathai

i am having the same problem, if ur problem is soled  update it

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi geojoemathai, welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

Would you mind providing us more details regarding the concern? Are you not able to hang up the call? When the phone is put near the ear, is the screen not being disabled?

Do you have a screen protector on the phone? Is it blocking the proximity sensor? Have you tried restarting the phone?
Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Redline748

I got the same issue, been like just days from new, no protector, used to be ok after cleaning screen, now is totaly useless no matter what I do, renders phone useless if I have to use the touch screen during a call.... Unhappy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Take it to Nokia Care to have it checked out, that's what the warranty is there for.

Please use plain text.