Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: MMS vs SMS... Please help

Advisor
PunjabSis

MMS vs SMS... Please help

MMS  vs  SMS. 

I didn't know the phone sent  MMS messages...I didn't even know what that was....      I have the Lumia 900.   My son cannot open an MMS message and I guess my phone sent him MMS.   How do I make sure that my phone is sending only the SMS to him?   I do not want to send an MMS to him.  

thank you for your help

have a good day

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Just make sure you are selecting text message and not "Multimedia Message". Also, if you include any multimedia such as photo's, sounds etc then the phone will change the message type to MMS.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

It doesn't give me a choice... I just click Messaging and then click the + sign and it gives me the TO: field and the area to type in message... I keep my messages short. but it doesn't give me the option of selecting text message or multimedia message and I don't send any pics or sounds...only a short message... he said he is getting an MMS notification and a link, but he doesn't have the option to see it on his phone..
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

I found this setting that had group text on or off... it says it helps keep replies in one thread by using mms...but I dont' send group texts...so I turned it off this morning... don't know if that is causing it to change my sms to mms or not... no other settings that I can find in this phone...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Hmm, then I'm afraid I can't help you as I don't have a Windows phone to help guide you to the right settings... hopefully someone with a WP will be along to help shortly.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi PunjabSis,

Thanks for posting.

Whether a SMS or MMS is sent depends on the content. If it's plain text it will be sent as SMS, if you attach images or other MMS types of content or sent a grouptext with the relevant setting in Settings>(flick left)applications>messaging enabled it will be sent as MMS provides the MMS connection is setup.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

Okay.. thank you Mechanimal82. this is my first windows phone and right now...not sure if I like it or not.. I really liked the features of the LG .. I really miss the draft folder for text messages..I used it every day...this new phone doesn't have it.. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hubrad

Hi Kosh, So does group text work by MMS then?

That would explain why Vodafone wanted to charge me for MMS when I had never knowingly used it!

Is there a way of sending texts to multiple recipients only using SMS?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PunjabSis

My phone must have sent as mms when I addressed my text to both my son's phones..
Hubrad... you use Vodafone...does Vodafone limit how many text messages you get?? my son uses vodafone and he was getting my text messages from my phone..then suddenly he never got them again... His sister's use a different carrier and they get my text messages... he cannot and he uses vodafone...
And I have same question Kosh, as Hubrad does... How do you sent to a couple people same time and ONLY use SMS function.. ??
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hubrad

Hi PunjabSis, I don't think any of the networks will limit the number of SMS you receive, only send.. Vodafone says 'Unlimited Texts' on my contract, though in fact there is some almost unattainable limit set!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi hubrad,

Yes, you can use grouptext without MMS, but responses will come in on their own conversation thread while when you use MMS they will stay in the conversation used when sending the grouptext.

The option to set how to send a grouptext can be found in:

Settings>(flick left)applications>messaging>Group text

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

PunjabSis, the US is kind of strange that it talks about text-messages. There is no such thing in reality. There is SMS and MMS.

MMS allows for more text to be added and has better character support. Also it allows media content to be added, but that is optional. You can send text-only MMS.

In the US when you don't add media content, an MMS is usually billed the same as SMS (as 'text messages'). In the rest of the world they are typically however not. Outside the US MMS is often more expensive and not part of any messaging bundles.

Also if the receiver doesn't support MMS or is roaming this means the person will not receive MMS.

Now Windows Phone has the option to automatically send a message as MMS if you want to send it to two or more persons. In the US this is usually a good thing. Outside the US often not.

Therefore US branded models usually have group-text default on, and many (at least operator branded) Windows Phones elsewhere default off.

In any way, you can disable/enable this 'feature' as explained:

Settings -> Applications -> Messaging -> Group text

Note some non-US models may not even have this option at all if they are operator branded.

Please use plain text.