Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Mac - Lumia800: sync calendar ( iCal ) and contact...

lario

Mac - Lumia800: sync calendar ( iCal ) and contacts

I am a mac user and I have just bought a Lumia 800.

Installed Windows Phone 7 Connector that sync only images and music, but how to keep syncronized the more important stuff:

1. my calendar: iCal 

2. my contacts

directly form mac to lumia800???!!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DKNY2012

Re: Mac - Lumia800: sync calendar ( iCal ) and contacts

[ Edited ]

In iCal click on Calendar with the information you want to export. Then click "File" menu and then choose "Export" and then save the file that the mac will ask you to name. Then go to Hotmail Calendar and click on the "Subscribe" word. Then you will be taken to a new webpage.

On the new webpage make sure you click inside the circle next to the words "Import from an ICS file". Now click the button called "Browse" and then it will ask you to find the file which you saved when you were in iCal and clicked on "Export". Find that file and choose it. Now you will be at the Hotmail "Import or subscribe to a calendar" page looking at all the options. You can "Import into a new calendar " to make a new Calendar in Hotmail, which will then sync on your Nokia Lumia phone. You can choose "Import into an existing calendar" which will allow you to see separate Calendars on the Hotmail Calendar webpage but wont make much difference when it syncs to the Nokia Lumia as you see all events on all Calendars on the phone, no separate Calendars.

You can choose the Calendar name and color of the Calendar for Hotmail webpage on the computer purposes and convenience, but on the Nokia Lumia phone when it syncs this information it groups Calendar information by the email address of the Windows Live or Google account you used to sync with on the web.

So you will see all events on all Calendars on the phone regardless of whether you synced them with Hotmail or Google and when you open a Calendar event on the phone you can see which particular email address that even information has been synced from. After this you can choose "Use the reminders that are already in your ICS file" to set the events reminder alerts to trigger at the same time that they were set to in iCal. Then choose the button "Import Calendar" to import the information to Hotmail and then wait for it to sync onto your Nokia Lumia phone.

As for contact sync you can drag all contacts from the Mac Address Book into Microsoft Excel if you have it then save the Excel file as .CSV format and then use this same procedure to go into the Hotmail Contacts webpage and click the "Manage" button and click Import which will ask you for the file you saved from Microsoft Excel. Which operating system do you have and do you have Microsoft Excel? Other ways can be done.

Please use plain text.
thinkk

Looking to solve this as well but your suggestion comes accross as a one time solution. I'm looking to have something what is really syncing meaning that if I change something on my mac in Adressbook or iCal it will show up on my phone as well and vice versa.

Hopefully there is a solution until Nokia brings out an updated Mac experience for Lumia users.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DKNY2012

Google iCal Sync enables you to continuously sync iCal events with Google Calendar. 

Google Accounts are one of the services that Nokia Lumia supports for syncing Calendar, Contacts and Email with the phone.  Click the web link below for information on how to enable iCal synchronization with Google.

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#ical

Mac Address Book -

Depending on which version of operating system you are using, you can go into Mac Address Book and click the "Preferences" menu, then click the "Accounts" page, and enable "Synchronize with Google".  It will then ask you for your Google account name which is your gmail address and for your password. 

Once this is done, close the Preferences. On the OS X menu bar, there should be an icon to sync (the dual arrows in a circle). Click this and select Sync Now. If this icon isnt present on the menu bar, launch iSync and go to its Preferences, then enable showing its status in the menu bar.

Unfortunately you will need to make a gmail account if you dont have one, then setup a gmail account for email on your Nokia Lumia to enable the syncing of Calendar, Contacts & Email via this method.

If you have a Hotmail account set up on the Nokia Lumia then it wont affect the syncing of items on the gmail account, they will both sync everything.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi lario,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

To sync your iCal calendar  and MAc address book with your Lumia you will have to create a link from to any EAS(ExchangeActiveSync) service like gmail or Hotmail. Probably the easiest would be to sync to a Google calendar:

For iCal

• Sign on to Google Calendar with your Google/gmail account. Create one if required.
  • Click the down arrow next to the calendar you want to share on the left side of the browser window in the 'My Calendars' box and select 'Share this calendar'.
  • Click the green 'iCal' button next to 'Private Address' on the Google Calendar Details page.
  • Copy the URL (web address) on the pop-upwindow. This is your private calendar address and shouldn't be shared with anyone else since it shows all your events on Google Calendar.
  • Launch iCal in Mac OSX from your Dock, select 'Calendar' from the top menu and click on the 'Subscribe' option. Paste (control-V) the URL you copied into the 'Subscribe to:' field on the window that pops up and hit the 'Subscribe' button.
  • Type in the name of the calendar in the 'Name' field of the information window that pops up after you subscribed to your Google Calendar. You can also type in a description just below the 'Name' field. Click the check boxes next to 'Alarms,' 'Attachments,' and 'To Do items' if you don't want to import those things from Google Calendar. Also select a time interval from the 'Auto-refresh' drop-down box. This will tell iCal to refresh Google Calendar according to the time interval you selected.
  • Hit the 'OK' button. Your Google Calendar is now listed underneath 'Subscriptions' in the left pane of iCal's window.

For Mac addressbook:

• Launch Address Book
  • Click on the “Address Book” menu and select “Preferences”
  • Click on the “Accounts” tab
  • Select the “On My Mac” under the left accounts
  • Check the checkbox accompanying “Synchronize with Google”
  • Click on “Configure…”
  • Enter your Google Account login, click “OK”
  • Then click “Sync Now” from the menubar

Now create a Google account on your Lumia in Settings>email+accounts>add account 'Google' and you are all set.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
lario

Thank you for your prompt help.

I have set up a google calendar and imported it in my Ical

Both method works, in term that if I add an event on the google calendar then it appears in Ical, same if I create in Ical an event but under the MYNAME@GMAIL.COM calendar.

My question now is:

1. how can I export my old calendar that are in my mac

2. how can I keep use my different calendars that I am using on my mac and have them syc with Google

Thanks

Please use plain text.
lario

[ Edited ]

I have made some progress:

I have 5 calendars in my ical on Macbook

I have exported each individually ( .ics file) and then imported in in Google Calendar

I have flag them under the dav preferences

then I have cancelled them on my Macbook

Now under my main "MYNAME@gmail.com" ( which is empty) it appears under all my 5 individually named and with different colors calendars, as I was used in my Ical locally on my mac.

PROBLEM SOLVED between iCAL on my macbook and Google Calendar.

the problem is now on the LUMIA and Google Calendar sync!

I cannot see all my 5 calendars but only the main one "MYNAME@gmail.com"

How can I do it?

on the iphone you can import the url of each sub calendar like follows

https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/XXXXXXXXXXXX/user

that individually appears under each sub calendar in google, but here I cannot access this setup where I can punch in this special string.

THANKS

Moderator's note: Removed private  url. It is not advised to post these in a public forum.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi lario,

Good to see it's working for you. If you have a specific url for your calendars on google you can subscribe to these from the LiveID you use on your Lumia.

Go to http://calendar.live.com and login with your LiveID

When logged in, goto 'Subscribe' and enter the url for each of your calendars or import the calendar's .ics file.

For more information on this go here.

Since the Live.com calendars do not use CalDAV it is not possible to sync these with iCal directly.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DKNY2012

All of your Calendar events from all Calendars you have subscribed to or have in Windows Live or Google will be in just ONE Calendar on the Nokia Lumia.  You will only be able to tell which Calendar is which from the colors that the Nokia Lumia gives to the text.

For example one Calendar event might have blue writing, which  will mean its from one Calendar.  Then another even might be in red writing, meaning its from another Calendar in Google Calendar, but when you open the even it will still say the same Google email account that you used to get Gmail in Nokia Lumia.

You can decide which color writing is given to each Calendar by going into your Nokia Lumia Calendar and pressing the 3 lttle dots at the bottom right of the screen to enter and clicking on "Settings".   Then you will be able to choose different colors for the Calendars that you have in your Gmail or Windows Live account on your Nokia Lumia, as well as the Facebook event Calendar events if you have that set up

Please use plain text.