Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Marks underneath screen of Lumia 820

james5563

Marks underneath screen of Lumia 820

Ive had my NNokia Lumia 820 approx 4-5 weeks and though Ive got no software problems with the phone, about a week ago, I noticed what looked like smudge marks on the underneath of the screen, at the top under the speaker and in the bottom left corner of the screen, about a third of the way up. I just happened to notice in the daylight today and have noticed that the marks are growing in sixe, especially the one in the bottom left corner, nearly halfway across the screen. I suspect its a build quality issue as Ive never had this issue with a phone before. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I know i can't speak exactly, but have had no problems at all with the build quality of my Lumia 920. If you are concerned about your build quality, i would suggest visiting your local Nokia Care point for them to inspect: http://nokia.com/support or if there is none nearby and convenient for you, then to take your phone back to your point of purchase and to raise the issue with them, my friend.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
joss

Hi, me too have noticed strange marks under the screen, but they are only visible on daylight. You can not see anything in the normal use. Can you take a picture of your problem so we can compare? But I doubt you can take any relevant picture of this, because these are visible under certain angles only.. :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

I've got them on my 820 too. Exactly like a smudge under the screen that you can't wipe off. Just something else for the list of annoying things about owning this terrible phone.

My worst one is a long one around the camera button, but there's one below the front camera too. I've had mine since Thursday, so 4 days. Bravo Nokia, bravo.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Can you post screenshots please.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

It's a physical defect, it won't show up on a screen shot. Build quality or screen issue. You can barelely see them when the screen is on. So, by Lumia 820 standards at least, it's a relatively minor problem. Still, when they're charging as much as they are for this phone, pretty annoying.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Well i mean a photo would be nice to see this sudden issue.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

I'm not sure you could capture it. Maybe with a high res camera and the right lighting/angle. You only see them with the screen off really. Like I said, it's not a massive deal. Mine's *exactly* like a finger smudge, but one that won't rub off. Hope that helps you picture it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Would be nice to have some idea folks .Best attempts,are most welcome.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

Understandable. I'll see what I can do. But my only other camera is on an iPhone 3GS (so you can imagine the problem :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

Here you go. Forgot about my work blackberry, which has a flash which showed it up quite nicely. Perhaps the other guys can confirm if this is the same as their's.

I'm starting to think it's actually an imperfection in the front of the screen, rather than behind. If you scrub quite hard with a cloth you can get rid of it (mostly), but as soon as your finger goes over that area it's back. Like that part of the screen has imperfections that cause it to smudge/stay smudged more than the rest of the surface. Just a hypothesis, probably wrong. Unless it gets worse I'm not too bothered about it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Good stuff.!We can forward this for investigation.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
joss

Wow! :blink: Mine is different and not that big and different shape. Will try to take a picture if I can...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NKH88

I experienced the similar smudge for my 820, but mine is two vertical smudges on the left side of the screen.  This is certainly a build defect.  These smudge is highly visible after u use your touchscreen for some time, and when u clean it thoroughly, it'll disappear.  The same smudges will appear at same place after use again.  The best way to see the smudge is to use a damp cloth to wipe the screen.  There is something wrong at those spot on the screen.

I have sent mine to Nokia care, and still waiting for the unit to be repaired.  Let's see what's the outcome after the repair ... I hope Nokia will replace the screen.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NKH88

Just got the phone back from Nokia care. I am totally disappointed with Nokia care.

1. Sent the phone on 30 Dec, and it takes close to 2 weeks for this repair. Was informed that repair will takes a week at the counter, but a simple change of screen takes 2 weeks. 

2. The phone still had the same 2 vertical smudge, and the Nokia care staff just told me that they had already replaced the screen. If still not acceptable, go to Nokia care in Vivo. Such bad service and repair.

I am amazed atboth Nokia quality and repair, totally unacceptable for such a reputable company. Will certainly go vivo repair to have this resolved. Total waste of time !!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

I disagree nokia care provide an exceptional service,i know this.Ive had my own issue and it took two days.

Use the contact us link and report the issue.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have this problem with my Lumia 820 as well.   In my case its a band that goes from 2 > 1 cm thick accross the base of my screen.

Almost impossible to see when the screen is on, but becoming harder NOT to notice when the screen is off!

I noticed it a couple of weeks back, but only just went into a CarphoneWareHouse store today to report it.  As it is 29 days since I bought the phone they are only offering to send it away for repair.   (28 day limit for replacements).

I've been here before with phone "repairs" where it goes away for 28 days and comes back a completely new phone!   I just can't do without a smartphone for that long. 

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.   Are there any official Nokia responses to this issue that I have missed in these forums?

Please use plain text.
james5563

IVe just had a look at your picture and mine is very similar but on the left hand side of the phone Ill try to post my picture ive just taken
Please use plain text.
Contributor
NKH88

In my case, Nokia Care had provided an exceptional bad service. My screen finally gets replaced. The repair takes only 15 mins. But this simple issue is only resolved after I called them 3 times to escalate, visited Nokia care 3 times and 3 weeks from the time I first sent for repair. Without my escalation calls, it may have taken another 3 weeks!

I will leave all of you to judge if you as a customers think this service is good.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jaysss

I've got the same thing. Mine is a thin line at the top right of the screen. I can just about live with it because its only on the black part but it is very annoying. Do they recognise it as a fault at Nokia?
Please use plain text.