Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Mass Storage via USB

Registered Member
Panayotis689

Mass Storage via USB

What is the pb with that??????

Why Mass Storage via USB is not available?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Panayotis689 wrote:

Why Mass Storage via USB is not available?

Microsoft didn't have time, or didn't want to, implement the support for it in Windows Phone 7.5.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

It's a problem, for my point of view ...
Morover it has no micro sd card slot ...
Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakke

[ Edited ]

There isn't Mass Storage via USB or micro-SD card slot, but there is an additional free storage on Microsoft SkyDrive cloud storage.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

jakke wrote:

There isn't Mass Storage via USB or micro-SD card slot, but there is an additional 25GB of free storage on Microsoft SkyDrive cloud storage.

Will Nokia pay my data bill when I get it from my operator ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
eaglehelang

Will Nokia pay my data bill when I get it from my operator ?

Lol, better ask Microsoft

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

@ jakke

The Nokia Lumia is surely an excellent phone!  :smileyhappy:

WP Mango is a good Operative system!   :smileyindifferent:

But Symbian Belle is better!   :smileyvery-happy::

multi tasking (more complete and smooth), mass storage via usb, micro-sd card slot and so on...

Nokia, don't drop Symbian!

Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

[ Edited ]

The thing is, Microsoft never had mass storage device support with the old Window Mobile/Pocket PC platform, You had to use Microsoft's Active Sync software to transfer anything to your device, Which pretty much took away the freedom of storing any files you liked on your device, Unless the files were supported by Active Sync or the device or it had a memory card slot.

Sounds too controlling to me. Oh and what happens if i need my files and i have no signal or my battery is flat ?. On a standard phone with an SD card slot, I can whip out the card and stick it into another phone or a computer via a card reader, Simple.

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

<p><blockquote><hr>93tid wrote:<br><blockquote><hr>jakke wrote:<br><p>There isn't Mass Storage via USB or micro-SD card slot, but there is an additional free storage on Microsoft SkyDrive cloud storage.<hr><p>Will Nokia pay my data bill when I get it from my operator ?<hr><br mce_bogus="1"><span data-mce-type="bookmark" id="__mce"><br data-mce-bogus="1"><p><br><p>All smartphones today have many features which are potentially big data users, and WLAN is the optimal way to use the largest consumers.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

michaels wrote:
<body><p><p><blockquote><hr>93tid wrote:<br><blockquote><hr>jakke wrote:<br><p>There isn't Mass Storage via USB or micro-SD card slot, but there is an additional 25GB of free storage on Microsoft SkyDrive cloud storage.<hr><p>Will Nokia pay my data bill when I get it from my operator ?<hr><br mce_bogus="1"><span data-mce-type="bookmark" id="__mce"><br data-mce-bogus="1"><p><br><p><br><p>All smartphones today have many features which are potentially big data users, and WLAN is the optimal way to use the largest consumers.

That is a pathetic response, and I don't mean the formatting.

What's the point of having a mobile device if you have to search for a place with free WiFi in order to use its functions ? Can you please tell me where can I use WiFi on any form of public transport in order to listen to music or watch a movie or read a book or download the maps I am missing? And don't tell me that every day I will have to choose what to download on the piddly 16GB of inbuilt memory and constantly fiddle with the likes of Zune ? Absolutely ridiculous comment.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

All mobile devices are designed to keep routine connections minimal to keep the cost down, but equally all smart devices are capable of some features which include the transfer of large amounts of data. The typical user should not have major problems balancing the two.

We got this comment from team who developed the Lumia 800:

"Experience shows us that 16GB is the optimal storage size for the vast majority of everyday smartphone users."

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

Michaels, you are surely right, but, in any case, this is an objective deficiency in comparison to other phones running Symbian  :smileyvery-happy:  or Android  :smileymad:  !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

michaels wrote:

All mobile devices are designed to keep routine connections minimal to keep the cost down, but equally all smart devices are capable of some features which include the transfer of large amounts of data. The typical user should not have major problems balancing the two.

"Experience shows us that 16GB is the optimal storage size for the vast majority of everyday smartphone users."

Yet again Nokia think that they can decide for the users what is right for them. We all see where this approach took them so far.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

michaels wrote:

My experience shows me, that 16GB is way too small for me.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MiNa123

[ Edited ]

Hi Michaels,

you are wrong. When you load the world maps, a thousand pictures, some videos and a couple of music CDs you are out of space assuming that you split the 16 MB into two drives. One for the data and one for local backup. Vodafone Germany's internet flat offers 200 MB volume at full UMTS speed. A backup to a cloud is rediculous. WLAN is only available at home. Open WLANs are not existing in Germany.

And don't point to Microsoft for the lack of features. Nokia selected the operationg system. So it is Nokia's problem.

This phone at current state will be a marketing flop!

Best regards

Michael

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Mass storage mode is very important feature for any smart phone without it users have to install software on other's computers which is not always feasible
I have been using my phone as pen drive usingmass storage mode since 2007 for storage of some important data from other's pc and not to mention currently I can get data from other person's pen drive or portable hard disk into my x7 using usb-otg feature!
so big shame really that even in year 2011 still some os like apple's ios and this new wp7 mango doesn't have mass storage support
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

petrib wrote:

michaels wrote:

My experience shows me, that 16GB is way too small for me.

Don't waste your efforts in arguing, Big Brother has decided for you already. They've proven yet again that they do not listen, at their own peril.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
eaglehelang

[ Edited ]

michaels wrote:

Lol, yeah right.

1)  If one is on the move often, no access to free WIFI, no unlimited 3G data plan(no such thing unlimited 3G at my location), transfering large amounts of data that way means $$$$$$$. That's provided the internet connection is dependable. Having usb on the go or SD card allows for less dependancy on constant internet connection

2) 16GB is not enough for video & music storage, it's 10GB or less after application storage. That's why I use a SD card along with my 8GB E6 and purchased the 64GB N9 instead of 16GB.

If this WP7 going to replace Symbian after 2016 & wants to go at it this way, it's sad, esp for long time Nokia users :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Btw Asha series Nokia 303 has mass storage mode and usb on the go.....LMFAO
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_303-4278.php
Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

@ donofworld

I was looking at the Asha 303, It actually looks like a really great phone, Then i saw S40. :smileysad:

Damed and bloody blast. :smileymad: , Why not S60, Why kill off Series 60 ???.

This just does not make sense. 8¬S 

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.