Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: My Lumia 920 is dead... after 3 days !!!

Counsellor
UndCOVer
Accepted Solution

My Lumia 920 is dead... after 3 days !!!

I bought the Lumia 920 on the 19th , for 660$ (thanks for not including a wireless charger btw) , and while i settled in downloaded apps and stuff ,

Today i disabled some apps and featurers to get some good battery life ,then

I put the phone in my pocket  3 hours later I take it out , tried to unlock it , it gave me nothing, so i thought it got shutdown or something i tried to turn it on , and nothing !!! , put it on the charger no use ... It's been dead for 2 hours ...

I know your answer Nokia Care ... Right ... i will take it there , but i suddenly had a horrbile N8 flashback

see i bought all your flagships since the N8 / N9 / 808  and all gave me some headaches essentially , Specialy the N8 , what happened to Nokia ? when will you get your act together and release a non buggy phone from the launch .

It's sad enough my region has basically no apps what so ever due to that wiered region limitation MS put ...

It's even sadder to know that a phone that didn't get dropped once or didn't even overheat (i didn't play or do anything that might heat it up )  and it still died for no reason ...

This didn't happen to the Iphones in 5 launches they had , it didn't happen to the GS3 ... it certainly didn't happen with the One X on launch , Only Nokia managed to screw up software on 5 diffrent flagship phones in the past years ... N97/N8/E7//N9Lumia920

Damn Nokia Damn Damn damn.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Not going to suggest care point just yet. Try the reset first. Press and hold the vol down+power+camera buttons. Release the power button when the phone vibrates and release the remaining 2 buttons about 5 seconds after that.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timriley

I think it might be an app/software issue and not a hardware issue (or at least i hope so).  Been trouble shooting why my Lumia920 locks up and I think i've traced it to Whatsapp (which coincidentally was taken down from the market yesterday - apparently undergoing revision).  So far no lockups with Whatsapp uninstalled... we shall see.

In the meantime, do a soft reset and your phone will be back to working order:  hold volumedown+power for 10seconds until it vibrates.  This will not erase any info on your phone (as opposed to a hard factory reset).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
UndCOVer

I've been a Nokia user fo so long , i don't think it's an app issue , i think it's the GPS / Glonass compined with the Camera and NFC , DRIVERs over load ... :smileyhappy:

anyways i did what you said and it's alive again (not a hard reset thanks god ... )

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timriley

D*mn it, my Lumia920 locked up again!! This time 16hrs AFTER uninstalling Whatsapp.  All I had left on the phone was accounts setup with Google, Microsoft, and Facebook.  No apps installed.  I've uninstalled Google accounts now :smileysad:  We'll see how that goes.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ginaz

!st day - dead. Thanks to this thread I found the reset info and finally got recovered but not after dropping the call I was on and missing the one that came in when it locked up. If Nokia or anyone else finds an answer to the root cause please post it, This is not acceptable and it appears to be a common issue. If that turns out to be the case I will have to trade it in for an HTC.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Symbian_os

Hi, I just got nokia n9 and I transferred pictures from another phone via bluetooth it went successfully, butwhen I opened my gallery I couldn't find the pics. Where do I find them. Thanks
Please use plain text.
TheGX2

My wife's 920 locks up on Words with Friends and effectively bricks. At this point I can't get it to boot. When I put it on the charger I see the AT&T logo for a moment then it shuts down. Tried both two button and three button power one methods and it won't respond. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

TheGX2 

Did you try the 3 button rest with the sim out?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mynameismulan

[ Edited ]

"Try the reset first. Press and hold the vol down+power+camera buttons. Release the power button when the phone vibrates and release the remaining 2 buttons about 5 seconds after that."

this worked for my dads new lumia 920 that just blacked out and died on him this morning. thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jrno

Get mine 22.11. Today 29.11 dead. Thanks soft reset its alive again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

Luckily this phone boots really fast.  I think MS needs to protect the OS better from a crashed app.  I'm sure there will be updates to address.

Please use plain text.
Ibrahimsh

What the hell is wrong with these companies?? we porches new phones to have better performance and speed and efficiency not to get frustrated every now and then!!!! I mean come on people we are depending on our phones now and I didn't know about this solution so I was off without a phone for 2 hours and needed some info/ emails and a very important calls. I see some people acting like its anormal thing for such  a problem to happen, it's not!!! 

And I still don't know why this blackout would accure in 1st place! don't say wifi/nfc and etc... everything was off except the cellular data and one email account and a very vary few apps, also battery was around 40%. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Max_b

This is exactly the same problem that afflicted my Lumia 920, and eventually I took it back for refund. Soft reset only deals with the symptoms, until it happens again.

MS is releasing an over-air patch for WP8 during December which is supposed to address the 'rebooting' issues, but I'm not sure if the 'unable to switch on' problem is the same, although I'm guessing it is, but just manifests differently when it occurs whilst the phone is off? The bluetooth car pairing issues are roumoured to be delt with in a new update to WP8 called Apollo+ coming early in the first qtr of 2013.

Might go back to the Lumia 920 if WP8 gets fixed... nice phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DamnSkippy

My Lumia 920 just bricked 20 min ago (Unresponsive/ Dead/Blank Screen) I’ve had it for three weeks now with very minimal apps. The phone was not turned off then died, the phone just wouldn’t respond. I tried a soft reset then a hard reset neither worked. After I was done cussing out Nokia and Microsoft to everyone around me for about 5 min a soft reset worked, it came back to life.. this is the first problem in anyway i have had with my phone.

I still think this is the best phone I have ever used the quality is second to none. Problem is if the software developers can't patch these problems its going to reflect Nokia in a negative way..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mmadigan

CAREFUL!! that is the way to HARD RESET the phone. SOFT reset is only down volume + power button!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
apolodt

Perfect! thanks for hint!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sandeeprn

me too had same issue. brought two weeks back. yesterday used bluetooth for first time, to transfer a picture to my laptop. once transfer done, locked screen. but, didnt turned on since then. soft reset helped. any upgrades/patches available?
Please use plain text.
Roadrash

Had a scary moment of "Oh no not again", so thanks for the soft reset instructions. Worked for me. Now a bit of 920 history...

I am on my second Lumia 920. Bought my first one at the beginning of December 2012.A week after having it I had it connected to the bluetooth in my car, no problems there; until I got out. For some reason the phone screen went black and that was it. Couldn't reset, however I could tell the screen was still working, as I could power the phone on and off! Then started 4 weeks of mobile phone ping pong.......

Sent off to Nokia Care, came back not fully repaired, with the down volume button stuck in and with two "bulges" in the outer skin where the volume button and headphone sockets are. The repairer had obviously had trouble putting it back together and then thought "sod it that'll do" (Friday afternoon repair!). So it went back, got sorted but this time I had a lovely 2cm scratch on the screen from the volume button horizontally across. Couldn't believe it, God knows what tools they use,  but I know that you don't use sharp instruments to take modern electronics apart. Got on the phone to Nokia Care, who apologised and said send it back. So it went back again. It was returned to me a week later, with a leter saying my phone unfortunately couldn't be repaired as there was a lack of parts. So I emailed customer complaints, detailing the 4 weeks of non-use of my phone and inadequate quality control of its repairs. I had a phone call, apologising profusely for the issues and a promise that my phone would be sorted.  I must say that the customer complaints department bent over backwards to make sure my phone was eventually sorted, even they said my issue should never have got that far. So it went back again, turns out even with a new screen it couldn't get through quality control, so I ended up with a new 920 for all my troubles.

I had it last week. Guess what....Tonight after leaving my car the same happened again with this phone! phone dead. I tried charging for half hour, still nothing, with thoughts of another email to crack off to customer complaints. Then I thought I'd give the soft reset a try just need to recall the button sequence. It worked. So thank you.

I am beginning to think that the issue with the 920 lies with the bluetooth module locking the phone up. I get the feeling that you need to switch the bluetooth off on the 920 first when you have finished using it, don't turn off the paired device first (e.g. car!)

I also think Nokia should use some less ham-fisted repairers, not that a phone of this expense should have to go to be repaired with a week of having it anyway.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eugie

Why these problem happen hope nokia resolve these or it is just software that can be fixed by another updates.
Please use plain text.