Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: My many unfortunate Lumia 800 issues, help any...

Contributor
baandoptager

My many unfortunate Lumia 800 issues, help anyone?

[ Edited ]

Hello Folks

Hope you can help me. My Lumia has been causing problems from the start, had it for 2 months now. I have not been given the chance to trade it in, but i've had it for repairs for almost 17 days. It came back with nothing fixed. Now i have 12070 and it's getting worse. Can anyone please see if they recognize some of the symptoms and help me solve them, cuz i really wanna keep my Lumia.

1: Audio click between songs when changing songs in the musicplayer. Both on swipe and on back and forth on buttons.

2: Shutter noise from the lens when shifting from videocamera to camera. Sometimes when looking thru pictures. The noise also appears everytime i back out of the camera app.  

3: Camera has focus issues, especialy in video. Most pictures come out green or yellowish.

4: Ringtone at max volume the first 2 seconds, after that, the volume it is set at. If Volume is at 1 itm rings at full power first sequence.

5: Jumpy behaviour when charging. When i hold a finger on the app list, it rocks back and forth, shaking. If i take the AC out, it stops.

6: When the audio is on for dialing (typing). Everytime i go and wanna type a phone number. the 2 first digits make a crunchy sound and they're often delayed according to touch. If i open the dialer and wait a sec, its all fine. Its like the audio isnt ready. The wait does so that the 2 first digits sometime come in last second.

7: Even on 12070 (incl hard reset) i can get maximum 21 hours of battery, with no wifi, 3g only, lowest brightness and no games and no music. This is the biggest problem. I cannot believe it.

These are the many issues i face and i've almost had it. I am tired of having a phone that is soo crazy buggy, i really dont know what to do. I am tempted to swing back to a 710 or a Samsung Omnia W if i can even get rid of this as it is (its unsellable if you ask me). But i would rather want a working Lumia 800 (which ive hardly used). Please help.

PS: I already had it in for repair for 17 days and this phone is expensive. I dont wanna spend another 3 weeks without a phone. Bugs or not. HELP!

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Re: My many unfortunate Lumia 800 issues, help anyone?

1. This issue is common across all Lumia devices, it is an annoyance but a fairly minor one, don't know if this will or can be fixed. But it hasn't been addressed in any of the updates that have been released so far.
2. Really??? You have Cleary identified it as the shutter so do you really think this is a bug. The shutter sound can't be helped this happens with virtually every camera. This is basically down to the laws of physics, moving parts make noise. It is not a bug.
3. You can change the focus and white balance settings manually, try using the options instead of just auto if you are having problems.
4. This is a known issue relating to recent update. I'm fairly sure this will be addressed in a future update
5. This is a known issue relating to the grounding of the screen. Unfortunately it is hardware related and is here to stay on current hardware.
6. I have never noticed the sound you speak off but the delay is just due to the phone loading up this specific feature, I wouldn't really call this a bug. Computers aren't alway's instantaneous at doing everything. Surely you must realise this virtually every computer suffers from delays at some point or other a second is hardly a big deal.
7. It is very common that fast powerful smartphones last about a day especially on 3G. Although the official specs claim longer battery life it is not always true in real daily usage. 21 hours does seem a little low for just 3G standby though. 36 hours seems to be what the phone is capable of, mines at least. I find it lasts longer than the HTC HD7 (my previous phone) Check the diagnostics app,you should be getting around 60-80 with 3G on. If you believe your phones battery isn't behaving normally then you could try resetting it to factory settings. I found after doing this it increased the battery life after the recent update.

All of these issues you mentioned are common across the Lumia range and putting your phone in for repair would not solve any of them.
The Lumia 800 and 710 are new phones and unfortunatly as early adopters of this new brand we are suffering some teething problems.
In Nokia's defence, teething problems are common in new software and hardware accross the industry. You can't alway's get it right first time. The new 900 and 610 should hopefully not suffer from similar issues. However this isn't much consolation for those of us who invested in the brand early. But that is the risk you take when buying a brand new device.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
baandoptager

[ Edited ]

2. Really??? You have Cleary identified it as the shutter so do you really think this is a bug. The shutter sound can't be helped this happens with virtually every camera. This is basically down to the laws of physics, moving parts make noise. It is not a bug.

I am not an idiot. This is clearly a bug, cuz i have tried other Lumia 800's, some does it and some dont. Besides, don't see any reason why the shutter should react when looking thru pictures. I do realize it is the shutter, just saying that its out of control and that the volume of the noise even varies.

3. You can change the focus and white balance settings manually, try using the options instead of just auto if you are having problems.

Tried all of this, didnt help. 

6. I have never noticed the sound you speak off but the delay is just due to the phone loading up this specific feature, I wouldn't really call this a bug. Computers aren't alway's instantaneous at doing everything. Surely you must realise this virtually every computer suffers from delays at some point or other a second is hardly a big deal.

Its a big deal for me, cuz many other Lumia devices, Omnia 7, Omnia W and even the Mozart and so forth dont do this. Checked. Sux for me then.

7. It is very common that fast powerful smartphones last about a day especially on 3G. Although the official specs claim longer battery life it is not always true in real daily usage. 21 hours does seem a little low for just 3G standby though. 36 hours seems to be what the phone is capable of, mines at least. I find it lasts longer than the HTC HD7 (my previous phone) Check the diagnostics app,you should be getting around 60-80 with 3G on. If you believe your phones battery isn't behaving normally then you could try resetting it to factory settings. I found after doing this it increased the battery life after the recent update.

Tried resetting twice. Do realize that batteries need to calibrate aswell. Didnt work. Triple the battery time on 12070? Well not with me. Have done 2 hard resets since 12070. Still just barely hit the 24 hour mark. My old Omnia 7 went for 30-35 hours with hardcore use, the Omnia W goes further.... I cant get my Lumia past 24h with 3g, no games, no music... just calls and sms. Tested it a couple times now.

But that is the risk you take when buying a brand new device. :smileyhappy:

Alomst true! None the less. i am now one step close to selling it, if i can live with sending the phone off to someone well aware that its bugged to the brim.

Please use plain text.
martyna

Hi

I have noticed one more issue with this recent update which is that now the battery doesn't charge fully.

It is also worth pointing out that for me the following issues seemed to be introduced when upgrading to the new version of software (12070)

- (Problem 4): Ring volume issue and any other notifications (message, email, phone power charger pluggedin ) tones ignore the volume setting, except for when the volume =0

- Phone is not fully charging now.

- The first time I charged the phone after the recent update it never charged despite being plugged in and my battery just ran flat.

I will at some point try to restore the phone back to previous software update, as for me, my experience of the lastest upgrade was more a downgrade!

Just one note about battery life. I was roaming with the nokia 800 and with no data connection and a 2G network connection I must have got 3 days life out of it .... mostly just in standby. So If you really wanted to get the most out of your battery life then turn off all data connections and turn the max connection speed to 'E'.

Fingers crossed for the next update!

Please use plain text.
SoftwareHome

baandoptager

• For issue 3, I've heard Nokia is working on a fix to enhance the focus system and ensure accuracy of colour balance

• For issue 4, It is not obvious on most device sets

• For issue 5, it may be a bug that could be fixed in the next updates. However, I do agree with 

• For issue 6, the delay in sound maybe due to the loading of the phone app itself, you can't expect the app to fully operate well immediately after opening it.

• For issue 7, 21 Hours on 3G is considered to be quite high already. Considering the fact that Nokia just released an update to fix the battery issues, you should be patient and wait for more updates to improve on its duration 

These issues are quite common for a new series of phones for Nokia, since you have bought it already, you should just adapt to them. Maybe in the future, when you send the devices in for servicing they may return you a "fixed" device. The phone is actually quite nice already, considering its design and fluidity. You can't expect more from a first-time.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
LumiAudioSucks

He should adapt? Of course he (we) can and should expect more. It's a flagship device. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
baandoptager

[ Edited ]

For issue 3, I've heard Nokia is working on a fix to enhance the focus system and ensure accuracy of colour balance.

Thats what they said before 12070. It didnt happen. 

The last 2 updates, nothing was solved. More problems was added. But, fear not, i have found a solution. I am oficially rolling back from the Lumia 800 to the 710.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

Laws of physics?

The Lumia camera does not have a mechanical shutter so, whatever the reason for the noise is, it doesn't have anything to do with moving parts as there aren't any :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

I am no expert on digital cameras but I'm pretty sure most camera have some some sort of shutter mechanism to control the amount of light reaching the sensor. Are you saying modern cameras have no moving parts at all?
What else would the noise be then? The noise seems to come from the lens, so I just assumed it was some kind of shutter mechanism or maybe at least a lens cover. My standalone digital camera certainly does and can be controlled manually, it also makes a mechanical noise when a photo is taken. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

The noise you hear when you take a picture with a digital camera is a simulated shutter noise, not the actual noise of a mechanical shutter moving. Some high-end SLR digital cameras still have shutters, but the vast majority of consumer digital cameras don't, and I can't think of any phone camera that does. We have the noise because we are so used to it, and also these days as a confirmation that a picture was taken.

But to answer your question, no there is no shutter. The light-sensitive element behind the lens just turns on and off.

There may well be some mechanical noise in a digital camera, most likely from an optical zoom, but that doesn't apply to our phone either.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maijay

[ Edited ]
I get that odd distorted audio sound when I type the 1st digit of a tel number. Had my Lumia 800 since early December and it's always been like that. Not an app loading issue rather a programming error not fixed. As for the camera focus, I thought initially the poor image quality was down to the sensor and/or lens but as every so often I can get very good image quality shots (often when the subject is quite close) the fault lies with focusing. It's a real shame and worse is I don't think Nokia will fix it anytime soon as its probably an inherent fault with the some phone revisions much like the battery issues.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I presume you are aware that the camera's default mode is Macro and you need to change it first before taking photos ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darlomrh

[ Edited ]
RE: "2: Shutter noise from the lens when shifting from videocamera to camera. Sometimes when looking thru pictures. The noise also appears everytime i back out of the camera app. 3: Camera has focus issues, especially in video. Most pictures come out green or yellowish."
Do you happen to have the white version? I have noticed after half pressing the key to focus on a picture and then tapping back key to come out of the camera app I hear a "click/clunk" as though the lens is retracting. Doesn't bother me.
I would put up with that if I had a camera that took decent pictures. It's quite funny that the stock images that are on the Lumia 800 have clearly not been taken by Lumia 800, well not mine anyway.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

The camera is capable of taking great images, mainly on bright sunny days though. Its best to adjust the settings manually rather than auto to get the best pics.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Regarding camera noise I have googled digital cameras and found that yes they don't require a shutter though expensive one may have a leaf shutter.

However the noise from this phone definitly sounds mechanical to me. It may not be a shutter but it is coming from the lens and not the speaker. It doesn't sound like its simulated and still doesn't seem like a bug, just more the sound of a moving part. Can't see why it would it happen while flicking through your pictures though.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
baandoptager

I have now solved the problem.

I traded my Lumia 800 for a 710. No issues. Amazing phone. I'm Happy!

Please use plain text.