Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contac...

Registered Member
PhilipArgy

Re: New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

[ Edited ]

I selected Lumia 920 and W8 because Apple was too arrogant.  Now I find that Nokia and Microsaoft are WORSE!  I was told I could sync by USB from my Outlook to my Lumia 920.  I can't.  I was lied to.  Nokia Suite does not work with the Lumia 920 unless you move via skydrive which is not possible when camping with no Internet connection.

Moderator's note: comment about legal actions removed, it is not allowed to discuss those matters on Nokia Discussions..

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

Who at Microsoft or Nokia lied to you?  The sync functionality for Windows Phone has been essentially the same since it was launched in late 2010. Media sync has changed from Zune to a dedicated app, but PIM sync has always been via web service. That has been very well documented, both officially on MSs and their partner's sites, and on blogs and forums, both favorably and unfavorably.  I expect some uninformed salesman provided you some bad advice. Wouldn't have been hard to check. Sorry it happened. Isn't there a return period where you live?  I am curious about your need for Nokia Suite, which connects a cell phone to a PC, when you are camping. If the need too transfer pictures, you can do that via cable. If you are managing contacts, calendar, etc. you camp different than I do.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

PhilipArgy wrote:

I was told I could sync by USB from my Outlook to my Lumia 920. I can't. I was lied to. Nokia Suite does not work with the Lumia 920 unless you move via skydrive which is not possible when camping with no Internet connection.

What is your solution before I xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for everyone else that now has a two year contract with Telstra and no contacts or calendar etc?

Nokia Support Discussion is a user to user forum and if you feel you need to talk to Nokia you may want to contact Nokia Care for which contact details can be found here.

Coming in here rating and raving will not get you anywhere unless someone decides to ignore it for now and help out. It is understandable a new phone will bring up questions and getting used to a new and different way of doing things is never easy, but there is plenty of help here for anyone willing to listen and ask questions.

The while camping line is rather funny. I'd be interested to know who buys a new phone and then goes on setting it up while camping. Same argument could be used in reverse. You can't setup using a cable if you do not have the computer with you which has the synced information and then, while camping and no electricity a laptop will run out of power quickly. So let's just forget you even brought that one up.

Windows Phone is part of the Microsoft (former Live) ecosystem where all devices sync and share information through the Microsoft account (former Live ID). Another member of the family would be Xbox.

This is part of the core strategy of Windows Phone and as said before has been since it's inception. As this is well documented and discussed many time over on a number of forums related to Windows Phone this would actually be a case of you not informing yourself. I very much doubt anyone or any official announcement from either Nokia or Microsoft will have told you anything different. Please inform us if I am wrong here. If you have some principal objection to using online sync you basically bought the wrong phone.

Also no Windows Phone user is without contacts or Calendar sync through Outlook, how this works is also very well documented to start in this article.

Nokia (and some third parties) also provides a number of tools and options to transfer your data to the Microsoft account in a painless and easy way for earlier Nokia Phones. Examples of this are:

Nokia Contacts Transfer app for Windows Phone

The Welcome Home app

Through Nokia Suite

And there are more. In general I would advice you to use the search function on Nokia Support Discussions as this would have provided you with all the above..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
steve7

this would actually be a case of you not informing yourself.

OMG,  your still trying to defend this.. 

This is off the Nokia 800 site, 

Your office, on the go

When work can’t wait, take it with you. The Lumia 800 has everything you need to stay productive on your travels – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Office 365. Use Nokia Drive to get turn-by-turn directions to your next meeting. And when you need a break, pull up a city guide and see all the cool stuff happening in your area.

I don't think it has a Bluetooth system that works with errr any other Bluetooth phone, and the forums are littered with people struggling against a mindset that defies logic.  

If a smart phone is smart, why is mine so dumb :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

Don't see anything in that Lumia 800 Marketing speil that isn't true. It has Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Office 365 compatibility. File transfer has just changed from having to connect the device via a cable and wait for it to sync, and error out and create duplicates, to using some sort of web storage, whether that be SkyDrive, or DropBox, or a sharepoint. Todays Office products can be setup to support that with minimal user intervention, ensuring your important files are available not only at your desk, but on your phone, or even your iPad, with little user intervention.

Don't see the problems with the Nokia Nav products. The seem to work as expected.

BT is a different issue. There are ways to share, without having to be in close proximity. Maybe some like messing around with BT transmit and receive and pairing devices and such. Many would just as soon e-mail you a file, or a link to a shared storage space on the web.

The issue here is that WP does things differently than Symbian did. Heck it does things differently than Window Mobile did. Nokia has provided some tools to ease that transition, not to retrofit Symbian procedures onto WP. If you don't like the way WP does things, just because they aren't done the way you are used to, can't help you. If you you want to know the best way to get something accomplished with WP, stick around.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
galaxydirector

I really agree with you!!! I am also a old nokia user since my first cell phone.... And I really curious why nokia give up using ovi suite.... It is really complex to use cloud, especially a person like me who has several groups of data including contacts and calendars.... It is really stupid if I can use bluetooth... why I have to use cloud... that is also the reason I don't like apple....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
galaxydirector

You got the point!!! the new system is not user friendly!!! In symbian os I can search contact by pressing initial letter... in apple device I can move initial letter on the right side... but on this one........ I have to search hardly...........
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
galaxydirector

nope!!! you cannot!!!  I also asked this one before...... I am so love this function.... but they do not have any more........ they sky drive is sooooooooooo stupid like iTunes
Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

IN WP you can search people, by either pressing any one of the large letters, which opens a page of letters and pressing the letter of where you want to go. This jumps to a place in the people. OR, you can open people, touch the search button and type the name. As you type it will bring up any matches to that string, Meaning typing don will not only bring forward DON Jones, but Joe DONaldson, and even MaDONa. Those people BTW are all your people, Work account contacts, personal e-mail contacts, facebook friends, etc. as you choose, without getting them mixed up in their individual repositories/sources.

It's not the same, but it is very effective, IMHO

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
galaxydirector

thank you very much!!!
Please use plain text.
TimelordVictoru

Re: incorparate paypal

add paypal to the void

so we no longer have to nick  our sisters in laws credit cards that don't have a dime to get an angry birds aps download , and thus make nokia lumia phone a better product for the European market .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: incorporate paypal

TimelordVictoru wrote:

add paypal to the void

so we no longer have to nick  our sisters in laws credit cards that don't have a dime to get an angry birds aps download , and thus make nokia lumia phone a better product for the European market .

Paypal is available:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/paypal/75738196-1db2-49d9-afb1-d66a34d19fb6

Anything else you think you are missing ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Antoinenexgo

I´m not beating them up for adopting it, I just forget it. Most of my collegues have already changed to a different OS and phone. My first mobile was Nokia, but the 701 is definitely the last.

Please use plain text.
h4nny

Hi Paulheu,
Thanks for your post and for pointing me to the "Windows Phone sync and transfer options" article - unfortunately it assumes that you can install the HotMail connector. Nokia Suite read my Outlook contacts and calendar without needing any special access to Outlook or installing a connector, it just used my access. This is a work PC and so I am limited with what I am allowed to install or use.

On top of that EE have so far failed to enable my SIM (or SIMS as this is the third one).

It all adds up to a really poor user experience when moving to a new phone. If I was using a MAC I could understand all of this palaver but I'm on a modern version of Windows so why can't it just sync to my MS account via the phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Interesting, you can install and use on your work PC a non-MS program like Nokia Suite, which does need to access Outlook, but not the Hotmail connector ? I find that hard to believe. I am in the same situation with regard to my work PC, which does not even allow any legitimate MS OS updates through unless approved by our IT department and yet I had no issues with installing the Connector.

As for EE, that is entirely EE's problem due to general compatibility issues with their 4G SIM cards. SGS3 LTE and IP5 are suffering from exactly the same activation issues on EE, who are telling each and every customer that the problem lies with their handset - no matter which one it is.

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

h4nny  I can see that it might be an issue loading the connector as opposed to Nokia Suite. Nokia Suite is a standalone app, that accesses outlook's .pst file independently. Outlook Connector as an add-on to Outlook which may look more like something attempting to plant something in an application.

Since you mention this is a company PC, and you are using Outlook, are you connected to an Exchange Server? If so, setting you phone to connect to that same server, would be significantly better than using the connector. In fact the Connector likely wouldn't help a lot. It creates a second account in Outlook into which you can put contacts and calendar items. It does not sync with the Exchange account, if you have one. If you are using Outlook stand-alone, you would wind up copying all the contacts you currently have into the new Connector based account. Same with calendar entries. That is easy, with a mass copy and paste. At that point, all your contacts and calendar entries, would wind up sync'd the cloud account, Hotmail/Outlook .com, and then to the phone. They would alwayts reside in the cloud.  Some companies would not like that.

Notice I haven't mentioned mail. The Connector based account does mail, but it is the Hotmail/Outlook.com mail. If you are getting mail in Outlook at a your.name@your.company.com address, the connector does not sync that, either to the cloud or to the phone. That is the second reason, if you are using Exchange you should set that up directly from the phone. The phone is then a client of the Exchange server, for mail, contacts, calendar, tasks, just as Outlook is.

Your IT department could likely help you set up the phone for Exchange. Exchange is one of the options when setting up a new account. They have to know the server's address when coming from the internet. Typically if they have web mail set up to be accessible, it is pretty easy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TimL2

I've just bought a Lumia 710 to replace an Xpress Music 5530, which had completely stopped functioning.  I had always synchronised my 5530 with Nokia Suite, so all my contacts and so on are reasonably up to date in Nokia Suite on my PC.  I upgraded Nokia Suite to 3.7, hoping to be able to transfer them to the Lumia via SkyDrive.  However, Tools > Upload to SkyDrive is greyed out, and it looks as though this function only works when the old phone is connected to the PC - impossible in my case as it won't even power up..  Is there anyway of extracting the contacts from Nokia Suite?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Windows-Phone-sync-and-transfer-options/td-p/13490...

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TimL2

paulheu

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately the advice is:

• Connect your Nokia S40, S60 or Nokia Belle phone to your PC using the USB cable.
  • After Nokia Suite is started and your phone shows as connected in the bottom part of the screen select Tools>Upload to SkyDrive and follow the on screen instructions.

That's out of the question in my case, so unfortunately it looks as though I'll have to enter my contacts manually., even though they're all stored in Nokia Suite.  The other solution in the post you referred to won't work because I haven't got phone numbers in my Outlook contacts - maybe I should.

--  Tim L

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

There's much more information there. If you run Vista or later it's likely your contacts are in C:\users\[username]\contacts

You can go from there. Please read the entire article not us the fist section as there's more then one option there.

If contact were not synced to one of the available options in Nokia Suite before you obviously can't retreive them without access to the original phone.

---

Please use plain text.