Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contac...

Advisor
TimL2

Re: New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

Thanks again for your advice, paulheu.  I did read the whole article before, but none of the options seems to fit with my set up.  As I said, I have not entered phone numbers in my Outlook address book. On my Win 7 system, C:\users\[username]\contacts is empty apart from one blank record for my own username.

Thanks for trying.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There are tools around to read and/or extract information from Nokia Suite data files. These are however not supported or endorsed by Nokia so they can't be discussed here but as always Google would be your best friend here..

Alternatively you could try and find someone with a Nokia Phone willing to help you out. Or a Nokia Care Point might be able to help. What happened to the 5800? did you check maybe the battery is dead and a new one might bring it back. In most countries you'll find phone shops which offer 2nd hand Nokias for little money, a similar phone would help you out here.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TimL2

Good suggestions, paulhew.

Google has pointed me at several possible solutions, which I will investigate further. 

You may well be right about the battery on my old Xpress Music 5530.  Certainly the usual fix of taking the battery out for a few minutes didn't do anything. I'd been promising myself a new phone for ages, so I just went out and bought the Lumia 710.  In the 24 hours that I've had it, it seems vastly superior, and this business with tranfering contacts is just a minor irritation. Actually, it will give me the chance to clean up my contacts, which I've transferred from several previous generations of phone over the last 20 years or so!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TimL2

Success!  This is the procedure I followed to transfer contacts from Nokia Suite to my new Lumia 710, after my old Xpress Music 5530 had died:

1. In Nokia Suite, select all contacts.  File > Export Contacts creates a .vcf file for each contact on your PC.
  2. Upload all the .vcf files to SkyDrive.  (I did them in batches)
  3. Download each .vcf file to your Windows Phone.  I had to use SkyDrive in a browser, because the SkyDrive App didn't allow me to do anything with the files.
  4. Open each .vcf file in turn and save it to your phone - this writes them into People.

It was a bit laborious, but a lot easier than typing all the names and numbers again.  They are all backed up automatically to Windows Live now.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

A bit late I know, but as far as I know you can join all vcf files into one and then import the one file..

There is an app called Contacts Backup that will allow you to write one vcf file with all contacts to skydrive as a backup.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TimL2

Yes, I did combine all the vcf files into one, but it didn't want to open when I downloaded
it to the phone. Operator error, I expect!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
modyz

I JUST BOUGHT WINDOWS PHONE 8 LUMIA 920 

AND

ALL MY CONTACTS ARE SAVED TO NOKIA SUITE ..

AND I GAVE MY OLD PHONE TO MY BRO .. AND HE DELTED ALL MY CONTACTS NUMBER ,, SO CAN I UPLOAD MY CONTACTS TO SKYDRIVE WITHOUT CONNECTING AND SYNCING TO PHONE ((I COULDN'T CHOOSE UPLOAD TO SKYDRIVE FEAUTRE ITS MARKED AS GRAY *UNAVAILABLE* ))

HELP ME PLZ ASAP

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TimL2

No need to shout:smileywink:

You have the same situation as I found myself in a couple of days ago, and I described my solution in message 44 of this discussion . I would just add, as paulhew pointed out, that it should be possible to combine all the individual .vcf files into a single one and then transfer that to your phone via SkyDrive - I didn't do that.

Please use plain text.
liutostanskis

[ Edited ]

Hello

i bought nokia lumia few days ago, it is very nice phone, fast, nice to use, but has some bugs, i think nokia and windows will update software as soon as they can....

Thing is that i have same problem with the contacts...

i did all the things, i uploaded my contacts to skydrive, i downloaded skydrive app to phone as well,

So now I can reach them(contacts) through app and office in phone, when I reach them through skydrive app I can’t download them, through office I can but still one by one, maybe there is some solution how can I get them all, not one by one

Thanks

Email

xxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Moderator's notes: Post edited due to email address. It is unwise to publish personal contact information on a public forum.

Please use plain text.
liutostanskis

one more thing, I got all my contacts in pc as the vCard file, so I put them via usb connection to my phone Lumia 920, but phone can’t see them in my phone, the is no option like in my previous nokia e7 files....

But when you download them from skydrive then you can see them why??? file is the same, but you can see it just after download to phone.....

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

liutostanskis You won't be crazy about my answer and it is far from anything official, but here goes. There is a limited amount of stuff you can do via a USB cable and any Windows Phone 8. Mostly media and some Office style documents. There was never any intent to migrate a mass of contacts into the system, as it is designed to connect to other contact repositories, such as Hotmil (Live), Exchange, Google, things like that. It is not unusual to get a vcf (vCard) attached to an e-mail so the system is prepared to handle that, and opening one from the web or Skydrive, likely triggers that same sort of processing. When you get one from the web, you are opening it like you would open a document. It launches the program associated. You'll notice there isn't a way to get to the vCard files you transfered and click on them, in a file browser, to make the system do something with them. There isn't such a thing in WP8. That is likely why it does work 'opening' it from SkyDrive, but copying into the doc directory or anywhere else via USB doesn't.

I don't know enough about Nokia Suite to have been much help in this thread, but did wonder if it can output into a csv file as opposed to a vcf. Comma Separated Value file is one that I believe can be imported into the Contacts in Windows Live ( hotmail, outlook.com). The real key to WP is that it syncs with that web/cloud service. If you can get the contacts in there somehow, the phone sync will just happen.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

liutostanskis wrote:

one more thing, I got all my contacts in pc as the vCard file, so I put them via usb connection to my phone Lumia 920, but phone can’t see them in my phone, the is no option like in my previous nokia e7 files....

But when you download them from skydrive then you can see them why??? file is the same, but you can see it just after download to phone.....

Windows Phone doesnot allow files on the phone to be read from outside the running app's 'sandbox' (except for media files). This is why these can only be opened by the SkydriveApp from skydrive and not seen when put in the storage area of the phone,

Alternatively you can forward the vcf files in a mail which should also allow you to open them and add the contacts. (but I could be wrong there..)

---

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Zenag

Hello everyone, does anyone know how to transfer my outlook calender directly from my laptop to a Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

You don't. Sync to your Microsoft account. See THIS.

---

Please use plain text.
musica

Please use plain text.
raamy

How about message transfer from Nokia E6 to Lumia 920??

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

You can use Transfer my Data application from Store.

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Contributor
maxwild

I agree entirely with all this. I think that W8 is the future but there seems to be one very serious current omission.

This is the apparent inability to sync Contacts from my Lumia 620 to anywhere on the cloud. Am I missing something?

If not then my contacts are not being backed up. This works fine for my photos and documents in SkyDrive so why not Contacts?

Nokia Suite for my C6-01 was excellent at this task. How do I do it on the 620??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Try contacts.live.com

---

Please use plain text.
BillOxshott

Does this work for the Lumia 620?

Please use plain text.