Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New phone needed, but what do I buy

chamni

New phone needed, but what do I buy

My 24 month contract on vodafone with a nokia 6303i ends next month and I am totally confused by the options out there. I was originally determined to buy an iphone 4s or a Samsung Galaxy, but now I am unsure. I am an Outlook user and currently use Nokia Suite to sync my contacts & calendar to my phone and to send text messages. Whilst I don't currently pick up outlook email on my phone that would be a useful feature. I am concerned that Nokia seem to be losing the war, but their products seem to offer me the easiest synchronization capabilities. The Lumia range has attractions, be-it the 710, 800 or 900.

I would welcome any guidance.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

As always handset choice is extremely subjective, and all the phones you've mentioned would be a massive upgrade in performance and user experience. With the Nokia phones you would get a similar experience on any and the cheapest would be the 710 , obviously, main difference being screen size and camera res but basic performance all the same. Go to a phone shop and play with one and then chose the model that feels right for you ?

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

I agree with carman58, phones really are a personal taste. If you're intrested in the Lumia series they will all perform pretty much the same there is a difference in speed but with WP7 even the slowest phone runs extremely well. There are differences that again are based on personal perference. Off the top of my head

Lumia 710

Low price

Small form factor

Light

Lumia 800

Decent Price

Small form factor

beautiful (my favorute in terms of looks)

Lumia 900 (My Choice)

More expensive

Large Screen

Large Form Factor

Nice looks (not as beautiful as the 800 but nice)

Beautiful Display

Front Facing camera for apps like Skype

As carman58 suggested, best to go into a store and try them all on for size.

Please use plain text.
chamni

Thank you for comments so far. Just to highlight my "must haves" in importance order:

Needs to be able to sync easily with standalone Outlook 2010

Need to be able to send texts from laptop or desktop (I have both)

Would like to be able to pickup outlook emails

Other features would be nice to have, but the above are the important ones. And I guess what I was trying to say in my original post is that I believe whilst all those are probably possible with an iphone 4s or Samsung Galaxy that a windows 7 phone and Nokia Suite make it all much simpler?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
android

You're right about that, I guess you have made it out, only you need some assurance.

Outlook is a microsoft product, the on coming releases of its desktop, mobile and even servers(NOS) operating systems have a big impact on Exchange servers. You'll be at the safe side if you stick to Win 7 phones, Nokia or whatever brand you fancy.  

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

If you find it helpfull, it's not hard to click the STAR..

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Hi chamni,

Windows phones do not sync with standalone Outlook - it sync's via the Microsoft cloud and Hotmail.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
chamni

Hi Hans

Thank you for your reply, but it worries me! I thought I would be able to continue using Nolia Suite which I currently use to sync outlook with my nokia phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

You cannot use Nokia Suite for anything with any WP phone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

[ Edited ]

Hi chamni,

It is mostly a matter of working habits, and even if you decide to buy one of the other alternatives mentioned in your first post in this thread, there will be initial frustrations and sleepless nights before everything works again the way you want it to. :smileyhappy:

There is a lot of information about both the Windows Phone in general and Nokia-Windows specific information on Microsoft's website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/

Best regards,

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

Well, after reading your wishes; go for Nokia 700 or 701 Belle.

Why?

1. Syncing (contacts, calender, todo and notes) by bluetooth or usb (Usng Nokia Suite) or over the air (using Funambol and reg the phone as Nokia E7).

2. You also have over the air sync  for OneNotes (microsoft mobile office for free on Nokia 701 and Nokia 700..)

3. Using Nokia Suite for sending SMS connected by bluetooth or usb and using your keyboard to your pc.

Overall Nokia Belle on these 2 phones are fast, stable and the offers almost everything for a daily working mobile life without limitations. 

I just cant see the point of using any other platform when I am readingyour wishes.

:smileywink:

You will not achieve your wishes better on any platform as I can see.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.