Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

No WP8 Update for Lumia Phones (getting 7.8)

Counsellor
Luminato

No WP8 Update for Lumia Phones (getting 7.8)

It was just officially annouced by Microsoft 40 minutes ago at the Windows Phone Summit that current windows phones would get WP 7.8 update with some features of WP8 but not WP8 itself. 

The biggest worry is that WP8 will allow native code for apps, and that many apps will thus not work on "older" phones. 

The Lumia 900 is only a few months old and the 800 and 710 and 610 are not much older (all are less than 9 months on the market), but they will not be getting Windows Phone 8 update just like all first generation Windows Phones. Nokia must have known for some time as well that current Lumia buyers would not get WP8 update, this seems unfair especially for Lumia 900 buyers.

How does Nokia plan to make this more fair for current Lumia users? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Johnny_gitara

Re: No WP8 Update for Lumia Phones (getting 7.8)

Just great! Stuck with locked device impossible to unlock and now it won't even get the newest OS. Just great! This phone is going back to the store, don't care if I don't get one cent back. Disappointed :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

My Lumia 900 is two days old, I'm sick of its **bleep** interface, and now Nokia does this. My only hope was that they would fix at least some of the worst things about the system, but now it seems obvious they can't be bothered. Great way of conducting business!

EDIT: Ooh, we're getting NEW TILES! Who cares? ..  I want to be able to use custom  alarms. I want to have more than one volume control.  I want a calendar where you can actually see something and that has week numbers. 

Moderators notes: Factually inaccurate statements removed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Luminato

I would accept 7.8 update as being fair if the update brings more than just the updated start screen. It should include the missing bluetooth functions among other needed feature additions/improvements.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Michaelnz

There's a fair bit of over reaction on this WP8 announcement.

Alot of the Windows Phone 8 feastures don't even apply to the Lumia range, for example,

• Support for multicore processors
  • Support for new screen resolutions
  • Support for removable microSD card storage
  • Support for NFC

The big issue will be apps developed on the Window 8 framework not being support on WP7. However since it's so easy to port from WP7 to WinRT, i'm pretty sure developers will try to make sure thier app works on both platforms.

I'm goign to wait and see for more info on the 7.8 update.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

[ Edited ]

AlirezaLumia wrote: i have nokia from my first phone to now but now i hate you nokia and dont do mistake again

No offense but if you buy any technolgy with that mind set you're going to always make that mistake, there is always something new around the corner. With that mind set, best not to buy technology. You buy what you need when you need it.

We are getting a 7.8 update, from the sounds of it, we are getting other updates before then (two weeks from what I read) and after that. We are getting the best updates we can get for the technology built into the device. That's a lot more than most companies give when something new comes out.

You can't expect a company to program in Multi-Core CPU, higher resolution, nfc chips etc into hardware that doesn't have it, doesn't work that way.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

No offense but if you buy any technolgy with that mind set you're going to always make that mistake, there is always something new around the corner. With that mind set, best not to buy technology. You buy what you need when you need it.

I don't have a problem with new technology. I have a problem with the Lumia 900 being marketed all over the country as the greatest smartphone ever, only weeks old on the local market, 

Moderators notes: Inaccurate information removed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
islehopper

I can actually relate to Alireza... MS peddled WP7, NoDo, Mango, and the yet to be released in the USA Tango updates as bringing refinements to a work-in-progress OS. Many of us purchased the phone with the understanding that these future updates would at least bring a background ready version of skype amongst other promised features. If 7.8 brings this, along with IE10, camera fix, and a usable network settings app, then most of my concerns would have been addressed. Short of this, most will be disappointed in Nokia and MS for these shenanigans, bilking $$$ for the latest (April 8th Intro) only to find out 8-weeks later it isn't getting Windows Phone 8. Alireza is right... a new start screen (chocolate candy) just isn't gonna cut it. No fragmentation in WP? 256mb 610 = no skype. 710/800/900 = no WP8. WP8 apps won't run on WP7.8... the mess is just beginning.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Will MS accept the fragmentation or will they try to eliminate it as fast as possible? What happened to WP7 users may be instructive. They were quickly forced to upgrade to WP7.5 by shutting them out of the app store.

In the case of WP7 it did not matter as WP7.5 was a free upgrade but will MS arm twist Mango users to ditch their phones for WP8? (shudder).
Please use plain text.
Advisor
whatsol

@roope70 you just summed it up and yes music player too. the funny thing is 7.5 has soo many issues and they went on and are releasing a new version. and top of it - it is still not clear will version 8 have these issues fixed or not.

@Shoey5 - you are right but ignorent of issues in 7.5. no one just goes on releasing a new version without even fixing issues in previsios version. and update which is coming for 7.5 is nothing but visual updates - no functionality updates. it does not make sense from nokia or microsoft to not support of fix problems in 7.5.

by the way most of the new features are not that important when single core and without sdcard i am happy with lumia 800 - except camera. and who needs nfc?

what nokia and microsoft are doing is just making fool of current lumia owners and not paying an ounce of attention to fix current issues.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

by the way most of the new features are not that important when single core and without sdcard i am happy with lumia 800 - except camera. and who needs nfc?

Besides, C7 already had NFC and now it's supposedly some brand new technology that apparently lesser phones like Lumia 900 don't have.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Shoey5 wrote:

We are getting a 7.8 update, from the sounds of it, we are getting other updates before then (two weeks from what I read) and after that. We are getting the best updates we can get for the technology built into the device. That's a lot more than most companies give when something new comes out.

Trying replacing "7.8" with "Symbian" in the above paragraph. Sounds very familiar, doesn't it ?

Please use plain text.
AlirezaLumia

[ Edited ]

i dont expect nokia to put nfc in my lumia with software
but i want to run new software( i say simple app Not Game with DirectX )
my lumia have 1.4 GHz Cpu PLz Say the name of a program that this CPU Cant run it(app not Game)

but my device can run it with 1.4GHZ cpu and 512 mb ram
its like a pc and even microsoft can run windows xp or  8 on it (just ignore risk and cisk arcitecture and focus on power of system)
say name of a program(without need to  Rendering ) that pc cant run with 1.4GHz CPU

Moderators notes: A message was sent explaining why your message was removed.  Also factually incorrect information removed and speculative remarks claiming as fact.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

AlirezaLumia: Ah I've had some messages deleted too...friend reminder to us I guess to keep it clean.

Anyways I remember your post, it's not entirely true that apps will just stop once Windows Phone 8 devices come out. Sure you'll get apps that are written specifically for Windows Phone 8, especially if they are using hardware not in current models but keep in mind there is still a large Windows Phone 7.x userbase and it's in a developers best interest to code for them and slowly migrate their program over to Windows Phone 8. This is what has happened on other platforms include iPhone which see's this happen everytime they up the resolution on their devices or add new features not found in older hardware.

If you're thinking Microsoft just screwed their user, they didn't do this lightly. From an OS coding perspective, there is a lot of differences between the existing hardware and the new hardware. Keep in mind they have to code the OS to interact directly with the hardware, CPU, GPU, drivers etc. all of these things have changed in the new hardware. Sure they could code to incorporate both and they probably considered that but in the end, I'm they probably found that by the time they did that, people would be looking for new phones, and they probably found that the performance wasn't there. It's a no win situation, if they release a full Windows 8 OS for the current generation, people will be happy about that but **bleep** if it doesn't perform up to expectations. Take a look at what happened to the iPhone 3G. Apple forced everyone to install IOS 4 which made the phone practically unuseable. I experienced this as I had an iPhone 3G at the time and the iPhone 3GS wasn't that different from the 3G compared to the differences in hardware between the current WP7 phones to the new WP8 generation. Apple is doing the same thing with the 3GS phones now, they just announced that it will get IOS 6, people have accused Apple of doing this on purpose as a means to get people to upgrade their phones after they find the performance isn't all there. In regards to what PC with a 1.4ghz proccessor can't run Windows XP to Windows 7/8. Keep in mind that Desktop CPU's are a completely different archectecture, processing speed of a CPU is misleading when you factor this in. Example if you took a 1ghz I7 and made it single core, it would blow the socks off a 1ghz Pentium 4 CPU. same speed but there is a lot of differences under the hood.

You have every right to be upset, I'd be upset too but I guess I'm used to it, it's just technology. I understand that for the interest of the platform, MS has to advance it. They have stated that they will continue to support existing users through updates and I believe this, I've seen it many times in the past as is apparent by my work laptop that I'm typing this email on which is still running "Windows XP" (oh the pain). They supported this OS way past it's time, in that case, I'd say unfortunately :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
krishgetz

With this current announcement, Microsoft and thereby Nokia has made sure that none of the current models will be sold till phones running Win 8 comes out. Who in their right minds will go and buy the current line-up when they know it would run the new OS or new apps? 

Btw, nice to see the new Win 8 OS and hope they bring in truer multi-tasking than what they've done now; coz I haven't heard much about that. 

NOkia would do great if they could keep bringing updates for the current line-up to support early adopters; but that too has to be seen since the software is no longer in their hands. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

I think a lot of the current models will be sold at dump prices in the near future. Buyers still get a descent smartphone (although not the latest model) for a very low price. That can be an advantage for some. But I too think that the carefully build up but still low market share will drop to nothing in the coming months. And we'll have to see whether Nokia (and Microsoft's phone division) can survive that ...

Please use plain text.
descala

I understand about technology, that part is fine, but I am very angry because I am 2 months in a 2 year contract with an already obsolete phone (Lumia 900). Not even a year! This is the same thing MS did with those 4.3 inch HTC phones using 6.x. They didn't specifically say that the phone would or wouldn't get 7, so they let people just hang out there. And they did the same thing when the rumors started flying about the Lumia 900 not being Windows 8 ready, just giving info that didn't go either way.  If I knew that this phone would have an EOL so soon, I would have just kept my previous phone. I don't really care about the so called "upgrades", as that's just to pacify those who don't really see what's going on. All those involved should be ashamed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GoanGeek

I for one ain't bothered much about wp8 not being released as I knew it the minute they had announced that the nokia pureview 808 camera would come on lumia phones, hardware would be an issue.

I bought the Lumia 900 for what it does ( tech moves fast these days, so you can either keep waiting forever for new things or just buy what the latest is on offer)

I don't care whether MS supports the current lumia phones or not as I am sure Nokia will cook up something...

Its already porting a lot of its symbain apps to the lumia range which greatly enhances the WP7 phones

Like DLNA (Playto app) better camera (camera extra app) transport with bus timings ( transport 2.1) etc

NFC is not such an issues as some providers are trying to get it on to a sim card

Also Wp7 will see apps being developed as the lumia range is spreading in asia where it will generally do well due to Nokia's stronghold like India and africa.

Most developers are used to WP7 and it will take atleast another year for Wp8 apps to be on par with the WP7 apps.

And after a year WP8 would have matured enough for me to buy my next phone :smileyhappy:

For Now I feel the Lumia 900 is the best buy (front facing camera for skype etc) for all others it might be a bit sad situation, still it is a personal preference as to how the general public as whole use the phone.. most people don't even use half of the functions of the phones..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pls63

The news are so frustrating - I really expected Nokia and Microsoft to make sure that hardware and software launched within the same year would be able to work together.

Sorry Nokia - I am very disapointed and my lumia will only be a short relationship (the internetshare is to bad anyway compared to Iphone..)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

[ Edited ]

What amazes me most is that this "news" seems to come as a surprise to some of you. Early this year an seemingly unreliable source "confirmed" that WP8 would become available for WP7.5 models. This was almost instantaneously denied by other at that time equally unreliable sources (one who now seems to be well informed at that time already) so there was at least a fair bit of doubt about wp8 becoming available for current Lumia's already.

So what, I have used my Lumia 800 for over half a year now with pleasure. That I won't enjoy the virtues of WP8 does not bother me that much; my phone still remains a very good product for me. I am amazed that people are buying WP7.5 devices just days before the big announcement and then complain they will miss the next big upgdate of the OS. Shouldn't they have informed themselves better before buying?

What bothers me most is that Microsoft announces WP8 end of Q2 2012 and will not release it before (end of?) Q4 2012. Optimistic that means at least 4 months from now (October), pessimistic that is 6 months (end of December). That carefully crafted yet still low market share will now flush down the drain I presume. And that is bad news for users of the Windows Phone ecosystem, because it means - I am afraid - that the number of new apps will minimize at the very least if not stop altogether.

Please use plain text.