Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 520 Date Keeps Changing

Savy69
Accepted Solution

Nokia 520 Date Keeps Changing

Hi,

I have reciently bought a Nokia 520 from Amazon.co.uk.  Love the phone however I am having a single problem that will be a show stopper for me.

Every few days, the Date and Time change (resets itself) from the current date to Midnight September 1st 2012.

I have the latest updates

I have tried setting the time (without setting automatically from network)

I have tried using the network and it does not work, I still have to set the time after I check the box (although it does on my other phone a Nexus 4)

I do not have many apps, just the basic top choices from the Store.  I have not rooted or played around with any of the firmware or software.  This is as close to out-of-the-box as you can get.

So no matter which setting I tried, the problem keeps recurring.

Unfortunatlely I cannot replicate the problem at will and I am not sure what actually causes this.  But as sure as the sun will rise and set, every few days the date and time will reset to midnight 1st September 2012.

The issue is that once the date and time chnages, all my mail, text's, messages etc get scred up and are in the wrong date order causing all my threads to be totally unmanagable.

Is this something that is fixable or should I be asking for my money back and changing the phone?

Thanks

Sav

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Re: Nokia 520 Date Keeps Changing

My phone only resets the date like that if I do a soft or hard reset or if I remove the battery.  Perhaps it would do the same if the battery went completely flat.  Do you ever let your battery go flat?

I'd suggest a soft reset (hold the Volume Down and Power keys for about 5 seconds until it restarts) to see if that fixes it, but if not I would begin to suspect a hardware issue - perhaps a loose battery contact.

Please use plain text.
Savy69

Thanks for the input.

Just tried the soft reset and it it went back to September 2012 again.

Not sure what the issue is.  I find it strange that it is not even picking up the time and date from the network when I set it to do so.  Like I say, my other phones have always done this so it is not a network issue.

Thanks once again.

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

Savy69 wrote:

Thanks for the input.

Just tried the soft reset and it it went back to September 2012 again.

Not sure what the issue is.  I find it strange that it is not even picking up the time and date from the network when I set it to do so.  Like I say, my other phones have always done this so it is not a network issue.

Thanks once again.

i never let my network 'sync' the time on my phone. just out of curiousity, try disabling the time sync with network, and see if the problem still happens.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

If you remove the battery this happens is your battery loose?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Savy69

Hi,

thanks for the input.

I checked the battery and there is no wiggle room at all.  I took out the battery for just a sec and put it back in.  When the phone booted up again the time actually did  not change.  I got quite excited as I though maybe the it was fixed, so I took the battery out again for about 5 seconds and unfortunately the date went back to September 1st 2012.

In the meantime I also tried a soft reset with the Automatic Date from Network off and it makes no difference, date and time reverted to September 2012......in fact, always exactly 6.46am 1st September 2012.

I cannot help wondering that the issue is related to the fact that the phone is not picking up the Date and time from the Local Telco's network when I set it to do so.

Although I am not really getting the issue resolved, I am really appriciating the input!  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hey Savy69,

This is actually a normal behavior. You can read more from Tiny_Chef here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/L520-resets-time-and-date/m-p/1938382#M54430
Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

It's normal behaviour for a reset or battery removal to reset the date, but not for this to happen spontaneously. I'd be interested to hear if the soft reset has stopped the phone resetting all by itself.
Please use plain text.
Savy69

HI,

Just as way of an update, I have not had a problem with the phone resetting the date on its own volution since I last did a soft reset.

Seems like it did the trick.  Fingers crossed.  

I must say however that I am surprised that the time syncing with the local network is not working through.  No clue why not.

Thanks all for your advise and help!

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin520 wrote:
It's normal behaviour for a reset or battery removal to reset the date, but not for this to happen spontaneously. I'd be interested to hear if the soft reset has stopped the phone resetting all by itself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not normal behaviour for the time and date to be reset when the battery is removed. Maybe it is peculiar to WP or Lumia as I have 2 Androids in my house which doesn't do this.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Yes, you're right, I appreciate that it's not normal behaviour for every phone to forget the date when the battery is removed. I only intended to reassure Savy69 that this is normal behaviour for their Lumia 520.
Please use plain text.
joossens

The issue is not the date that is resetting it is the phone that is spontaneously resetting without you noticing. And as a consequence the date is reset. This wouldn't be a big issue if Nokia or Microsoft bothered to get automatic date and time working properly. On my 820 date and time worked automatically from the start, until the first time I did a soft reset that is. Now suddenly the auto option is gone from the menu as if my provider stopped supporting the feature. This is definitely a phone issue.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Glitch

I have exactly the same issue and have tried everything, apart from a full phone reset - not impressed!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spacey999

I have exactly the same problem with date resetting itself on my 520. The other problem is that this date being wrong then causes problems logging into gmail and the like. I've tried the above  routes but I still have the problem and would appreciate any other ideas I could try.

Please use plain text.
gvdpeer

Hi,

I have a Lumnia 620 and the autoclock is 10 hours later than expected for the region I'm in. No email connection.

Manual date time set, stops after some time.

I just got it back for a week from repair by Nokia for the spinnng cog problem during a phone update

Frustrating!

Regards, Geert.

Please use plain text.