Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 710 body heating up excessively?

Contributor
vk710

Nokia 710 body heating up excessively?

Hi,

I have a month old Nokia 710. My phone's body heats up excessively when 3G is on and in sometimes while talking. With 3G on, it is always. While on call, it happens sometimes. I have updated to latest using Zune. I am thinking this is a glitch in WP7 and can be fixed with a OS firmware update but maybe the handset is also at fault? Has anyone faced this at all?

Thanks guys

V

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

All phones will get warm during use., this is perfectly normal.

However, if you feel it is getting uncomfortably hot, you should take it to a Nokia Care point as it sound more like a Hardware issue

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

The phone will get warmer under heavy use.
Playing games, watching video and using internet for an extended period can cause this.
It shouldn't do on with just phone calls or standby though as that isn't using any processing power.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vk710

Thanks. Mine is getting so hot I can't hold it to my ear while on a call. This only happens sometime and my average call time is less than 3 minutes.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

vk710 wrote:
Thanks. Mine is getting so hot I can't hold it to my ear while on a call. This only happens sometime and my average call time is less than 3 minutes.

I'd take it to your nearest Care point if this is the case. That is not normal and is unlikely to be a software issue

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vk710

Thanks. I will wait to see if anyone else is facing the same issue. Then take it to N Care Center

V
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

My iPhone used to heat up during games/heavy use as well, it would get really hot, not just warm.
Some people with white iPhones even had their plastic turn brown because of the excessive heat :smileytongue:

It could be perfectly normal, however, just in case, I'd take it to Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

iPhones have a history of overheating in some cases actually catching fire and exploding. They now have a warning and auto off feature when overheating. As far as I am aware wp7 does not have such a feature and I haven't heard much about wp7 overheating.

My Lumia and my old HTC HD7 can get pretty warm but nothing I have ever been concerned about, it certainly hasn't ever gotten to what I would consider too hot.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
IzzyStradlin

@Kevgallacher  While it's commendable that you are trying to defend the indefensible (Nokia), I do believe that Lumia (both 710 and 800) are sub-standard smartphones, at least for their price in India. I bought my Lumia 710 over possibly better and certainly cheaper options because I liked Nokia a lot, and I really DID want to like this phone. But there are so many things wrong with it that I just cannot. I do love Windows Phone, and I do believe that if Nokia can sustain themselves then they will be the people who make the best ones for Windows, these two p.o.s just do not cut it. Not in 2012.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

[ Edited ]

So many different opinions here, I've been very satisfied over my Lumia 800, in both build quality and customer service, the price was also pretty decent here in Europe, at least compared to the iPhone (really the only device I have used in the recent years).

So far, and I've had my Lumia since December, I'd not call it sub-standard by any means, in fact I think it's been better so far than other devices like Samsung or HTC/Apple.

Not trying to defend Nokia here or anything, I haven't used Nokia phone for ages since Symbian started to be the standard OS on their devices, because it was just pure **bleep**, but I've been anticipating the new WP7 phones very much.

Just my opinion.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

I don't see how there are lots of things wrong with it the only issues I have with mine is battery life which funnily enough wasn't an issue until the January update but even then its nowhere near as bad as some people on here are saying, I get at least 24hrs off a single charge I remember it being a bit better before the update the other issue is the capacitive buttons not lighting up but this is getting fixed. The OS is fine in my opinion and is better than Android or iOS. I think this Nokia phone us much better than my previous HD7.

Also a little off topic how did a question about the temperature of the phone turn into a conversation about how its a sub standard phone, there was nothing subjective about my previous comment at all i wasnt defending the phone. All I was saying is that its not a common problem, this is the first I have heard of the Lumia feeling too hot.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
IzzyStradlin

In Europe the phone is much cheaper, relatively speaking, than in India. It costs Rs 15,000 in India (after reduction, it was originally Rs 18,000 and I bought it at this price) which is about 225 euros (270 euros without reduction).

That is a lot of money in India, especially for someone like me who's just started his first job. For that price, I don't think its wrong to expect to get a Gyroscope, tethering from the word go, the simple ability to end calls (I am still shocked that a phone can clear the design process with such a basic flaw) and more than anything else, a phone that lasts the bloody day. I maybe have a piece that is more defective than most, but my battery life absolutely sucks, even with minimal usage. 1300 mAh is way too less, even if it gives me the option of replacing it at least.

I'm sorry, but I really think this phone isn't any good. The Lumia 800 may be a bit better, but even that is too expensive in India. I have high hopes from the 900 though.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Is a gyroscope all that important, does anything on the phone actually use it?
Tethering is coming with next OS update expected April/May.
You should have considered these issues when paying so much for your phone.
The phone does end calls, yours is clearly faulty check your warranty.
The only real common issue is the battery life, clearly an error in Nokias part but what company doesn't have problems with consumer electronics.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kinngslaw

My lumia 710 also get overheated now what should i do plzzz reply...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
poncho2685

My nokia is overheating too!! and some times when i'm on internet, just crashed, some one knows what i have to do?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pranav5

Hi I hav purchased Nokia Lumia 710 yesterday i.e. 25.10.2012 and I am facing HEATING UP problem of the set while using aaps for 2-3 mins n more while talking on phone 45 sec. or more and If I am browsing too for 1 min or more  it starts to heat n becomes uneasy to hold. WHAT TO DO??? Its a FRAUD...Everything shoul be told to the customers before selling or puchasing. What to do now.......I am not getting what to do now...??

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

@Pranav5, your phone is obviously defective. Take it to Nokia care instead of ranting here. Nobody can help you solve the problem here.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pranav5

ok...lets c...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kelvinluke

i face the same issue here. . .  phone heats up real bad when i put in my sim card... done heavy reset still the same thing happen. . .  and then i relize when my phone under 3g reception my phone ehats up real bad too... google-ed up almost everything couldn't find the way to fix it. . .there isn't any nokia care here at my place sadly. . . 

Please use plain text.
HDcoffee

[ Edited ]

Hello, kelvinluke.

Welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions.

Your Nokia Lumia phone is a sophisticated modern smartphone with a powerful processor, graphics acceleration and many other advanced features to enhance your user experience; it is natural that in some usage scenarios it will become warm. Unless the performance and stability of your phone are seriously affected whilst the phone is warm, you should not have anything to worry about. There are systems in place to restrict power consumption to essential features if the phone does become excessively hot.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.