Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 920 a very big disappointment so far

Advisor
phydeauxman

Nokia 920 a very big disappointment so far

Has anyone else been experiencing poor coverage with this phone?  It gets horrible antenna coverage at my house where my Samsung Focus used to work beautiful.  I can sit and watch the antenna meter go from no coverage, to 3 bars G (whatever that is) to 5 bars E to no coverage again…without even moving my body.  It will even drop calls outside in my driveway…and my house is in great coverage area for AT&T.  The other problem I am having is the phone will lock up under a specific circumstance.  The circumstance is when I am in a call with the BT headset on, the call will drop but the phone thinks it is still in the call, the person that was dropped will call me back, the phone will ring once and then it locks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Doesnt sound right. The reception on mine is as good as the rest if not better. You should have it checked out at your local nokia care point. 

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@phydeauxman

My 920 usually shows very good signal strength and I regularly get HSDPA+ (H+). Try getting a new SIM card from AT&T as yours may be faulty.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

[ Edited ]

Best reception of any phone I've ever owned.  Reception has been short of amazing.  Even deep inside Super Target I can still get signal.  No phone I've ever had could do that.

In fact, I was inside Target today and overheard a couple complaining about their cell reception inside the store.  I check mine and had two LTE bars and a functioning connection.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

michail71 wrote:

Best reception of any phone I've ever owned.  Reception has been short of amazing.  Even deep inside Super Target I can still get signal.  No phone I've ever had could do that.

In fact, I was inside Target today and overheard a couple complaining about their cell reception inside the store.  I check mine and had two LTE bars and a functioning connection.

You saying that, I remember being able to watch a YouTube video in my office where all my other previous phones could barely get a signal to even send a text message. Top stuff indeed.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

aveRe: Nokia 920 a very big disappointment so far

I have had had drop calls, and had trouble sending texts.

However, i think it is down to swtiching to orange from Vodafone. Il be able to tell soon, as i am going back to them.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
phydeauxman

The was the first step I took...did not help.  I fought with AT&T on the phone to send me a replacement which I received yesterday so I will see how this one performs but my wife's 920 (got them at the same time) seems to be struggling with coverage issues as well.

So far...my Samsung Focus was better as a phone than any phone I have ever had...including the 920.  I hope this works out because otherwise...I love the 920...and so does my wife.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
phydeauxman

Unfortunately...received my replacement 920 and am having the same coverage issues the original one had. Can sit at my desk in my home office and watch the coverage meter go from no coverage to 3 bars E to 2 bars G to no coverage to 4 bars 4G. Great device...horrible phone. Going to switch back to my old Samsung Focus and try to sell the 920.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Aha! Have the reason for poor coverage with the Lumia 920. You ere comparing it with a Samung Focus which is only a 3G phone. Sounds like the 4G coverage in your area is not the best. In which case and the 3G coverage is good, you should try this. Goto settings>mobile network>highest conection speed>3G. In areas with poor 4G but good 3G coverage, you are better on 3G setting. You will also notice an improvement in battery life.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SergeMcG

I'm having exactly the same issues. I can compare with a Nokia N8 in this case.

Coverage in H is really unstable, it goes to 3G but the issue I'm more concerned of is that it often drops calls where my N8 doesn't. It shouldn't be an issue of changing from H to 3G, is that correct? It also goes to no signal at all.

It shouldn't drop call when moving from H to 3G but zero signal concerns me. 

Anyone else with the same issue? I'm with 3 Network in a very strong signal area. 

Please use plain text.
josif

Most likely those that have these symptoms have a broken phone.

I happen to have two Lumia 920, and the first one shows the exact above mentioned symptoms, but when I switch the SIM to my other Lumia, I get a solid 2-3 4G bars on the antenna.

Problem is of course, that when I go out with my "broken" phone, I do get a [weak] reception, which a dealer could take as a sign that there is nothing wrong with the device. However, since I can compare, I wont take nothing-wrong-here as an answer.

Please use plain text.