Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 920 frozen/black screen

jammin

Nokia 920 frozen/black screen

Love my 920, but this morning, I cannot get the screen to light up.  I know the phone is on because when I pres sthe camera button, the phone the phone vibrates for a half second.  Have tried a few things (plugging in, hard reset across all three buttons, connecting to PC), but nothing has worked.

Any advice or guidance?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Nokia 920 frozen/black screen

[ Edited ]

First frozen screen I have seen reported here for the 920 and you have done everything I would have sggested. Time for the Nokia Care Point to have a look. Yo can locate nearest care point using the link below

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
UndCOVer

Don't sleep on it , Nokia prefers you swap the phone for a new one rather than you becoming angry at them... Just go swap it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mleon8989

i have same problem ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it doen not work, any button does not work. its going black screen, but connect to pc, is display a phone a pc, but 920 still black!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mleon8989

my phone just works, like you said, u need to restart the phone by hold the whole four buttons,(include volume up and down) ...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Hi Mleon8989,

If you have tried the hard reset detailed over at MyNokiaBlog, then you will need to take your phone to your local Nokia Care point for them to inspect, as it may very well be an inherent hardware issue.

to locate your nearest Nokia Care point: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
M2hot2b

I have had the same problem. Went to go take pictures of my sister at her birthday dinner. I poked the camera button and the screen went blank. It stayed that way blank and frozen. I tried to hit the windows button nothing. It took me a while to finally get it to restart. It has happened a few times. I have the red 920 which I got on Friday the 9th from ATT. It was really embarrassing here I am bragging about the superiority of the 920 over all the other phones and showing it off and convincing my family to switch to the 920 and this happens. All my family was going to get the 920 the next day but after seeing that they decided not to. I missed getting several important photos of her opening presents and blowing out her candles because it took soo long to get it to unfreeze and restart. Not a good sign for you Nokia. I haven't owned a Nokia phone since the old candy bar style greenish blue phones. I switched from My Samsung focus s. If you don't get this issue resolved soon I will not buy another Nokia phone ever! Also what is up with your maps and the lack of detail close up. The city lens and nokia drive is awesome though and love using them, but I want my Bing maps back! Bing maps is a much crisper image.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hkamper

I'll be headding to the ATT store this morning for my 3rd Nokia 920 in less than a week.  The screen freezes and goes black.  Unable to restart.  If I call it, it rings but cannot operate with a blank screen.  Both times this happened I was using hands free in my Toyota Highlander, I wonder if this is the direct cause?  I like the phone and am willing to give it one more chance before I switch to something else.  I hope Nokia can resolve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Huan

I had the same problem, the screen switched to black while making a phone call or receiving a phone call. I had tried soft reset, rebooted many times, all didn't help at all. However, after I did hard reset and then run backup my data (which is automatically saved in your phone/cloud) and now my phone works perfectly.
Please use plain text.
Mad_Dog2

You're a god - first site to try and find a solution - evertyone else talks about take back but you come in with the solution!!

Phone now appear to be back up and running!!

Thanks

Mad Dog2

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BaconBits

I have had my 920 for nearly 2 weeks.  I learned that when I acidently press the volume up and power at the same time, my phone can go blank and the screen will not display anything.  I took it to AT&T and they tried a hard reset which did not work.  Screen appears with a mosiac of colorred pixels and then goes dark and stays that way.  

On the way out of the store I realized the phone was still working. Holding the windows key and speaking allowed me to activate voice commands and I could hear audible that they were working. Dictated text messages and got replies that were red aloud.  But nothing I did (multiple hard resets) got the screen working.  Then I got a call while my phone was sitting on my lap and it fell to the floor.  The screen came on. 

Since then when my phone goes dark which happens whenever I put it in my bag or pocket and the power/volume buttons get depressed quickly (can do it manually as well) the screen goes dark.  If I drop the phone from 2ft onto a solid surface, (1 or 2 times) the screen comes back on.

Clearly, this is not supposed to happen but it's nice to know there's a work around until Nokia annouces how they are going to handle this glitch.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I am unable to replicate this on my lumia 920. Perhaps there is a loose connection in yours or something like that. You should get it checked out at your local Nokia Care Point. You can locte your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SFDoozy

Holding down volume + power buttons should work. Here is an elaboration on a resolution that you may want to check out. This seems to be happening quite a lot on these very new phones.

http://exploringwindowsos.blogspot.com/2012/11/lumia-920-freezes.html

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ciomi

Restarted  by hold the whole four buttons, include volume up and down. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DGMIU

Re: Nokia 920 dead/black screen after a charge

I have a Nokia Lumina 920 and have had it about 1 week.  I bought it at the AT&T store..they gave me "bundle" which came with a charging PLATE.  I used the cord a few times to charge it and this week I  did an overnight charge 2x with the plate.  Both mornings I woke to a dead like phone.  The first day I visited the AT&T store..they showed me the "trick" to reset/restart the phone "hold all buttons down".  Today it happned the 2nd time and I was able to reset it.  My concern is this - is the hardware not working properly now - maybe damaged b/c of the "plate" charger?  Maybe I should stick to the cord charger only but first swap out the phone for a new one?  I can't have a dead phone as I use it for work and it is a lifeline with all the travel I have. Has anyone experienced this?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ZenRebel

Just happened to me as well.  Brand new wireless charger from AT&T via bundle.  I've had no problems with the phone, but just now with WiFi on and the phone almost all charged, device went black.  Full button hold restarted just fine (whew!)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DGMIU

Well - here's an update.  The phone is now going completly blacked out/dead after every charge not just with the bundle charger.  So I am forced to reset it each day holding those buttons.  Yesterday I had to hold them for a much longer period of time.  I am getting concered that its getting worse so I am visiting the store where I purchased it on Monday.  I will post another update after my visit....stay tuned.....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vidof16

I have a similar problem, When I make a call and place the phone next to my face the screen goes black as it should but never comes back until the OTHER end hangs up!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Reidoe

I can replicate your issue.

When I quickly hit the vol+ and power button at same time, I get blank screen.  hitting the power button brings it immediatly back to life on my phone though.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
classicrokr

Same problem here.   It would usually "start" by itself after an indeterminate amount of time -- but I realized today I am not doing the reset (3 button) correctly -- someone advised to remove the sim card, put it back in, then do the reset but hold it for up to 30 seconds.  It took 20 seconds before it came back to life.   I have a new or refurb on the way -- I guess if it is new I will keep it - if refurb - I will return the refurb?   But obviously this is beyond the scope of acceptable happenings/frequency.

Love the phone/OS in every other way... but....

Please use plain text.