Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 920 warm + battery drain issue

new920owner

Nokia 920 warm + battery drain issue

I am the owner of a Lumia 920 on AT&T. I have had the phone for 2 weeks now. Last night, I charged the phone to get to 100%. After unplugging this morning, I have hardly used the phone at all - 2 messages + looked up directions in Nokia maps. I backed out of each of the apps (as suggested to avoid letting apps run in the background).

After about 4 hours or so (with no use of any kind in the interim) - the phone was warm and the battery had drained to 70%. I have uninstalled Nokia Drive (I used Nokia maps, not Nokia Drive) and do not have any games, so this is not occuring due to any of the issues that have already been resolved on this web site. Not sure what to do from here - I'm guessing something is running in the background, but it is not visible in the list of apps running. Not sure what I should do now - I don't want to disable everything and then say that the battery is better, there seems to be no point in that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Have you read this?

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/...

Nokia Maps is a potential cause and not Nokia Drive. 

Please use plain text.
new920owner

Thank you for your reply. I am a little confused - nowhere on the link you sent did it refer to Nokia maps, only to Nokia Drive (unless I am making a mistake in the link?).

Also, the article below definitely helps, no doubt, but in effect asks the user to switch off a bunch of utilities to get battery life. Some of them are valid (turning NFC off, Bluetooth off etc.), but surely it is a bit extreme to turn off 3G?

cjlim wrote:

Have you read this?

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/...

Nokia Maps is a potential cause and not Nokia Drive. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The items listed are potential causes of battery drain. The idea is to disable those that are not used and to keep an eye on the ones that are in use. Regarding 3g, its just to highlight the fact that having 3g on in an area with poor 3g coverage will drain battery. The is no benefit in having 3g on when the signal is poor because will will only connect in 2g while trying continuously to connect to 3g, draining battery in the process. Sorry, my mix up between Drive and Maps. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BigStick

Well, well, well..if it isn't another Nokia drain issue.  I'll tell you my story.

Purchased the Lumia 900 6 mos ago.  Noticed the battery life was not fab...and the phone was getting warm.  At the time I was playing with maps, browser, auto-email, etc.   So I thought maybe it's just a power hog.

Bright idea...plug it in overnight next to my bed.  Will never run out of power...and doubles as alarm clock too!

But battery still won't last more than a day, even without maps and apps running.

Called Nokia to complain.  They said phone should NEVER be charged more than 3 hours at once!!

So, according to Nokia, all of us "overnight" chargers are ruining our (irreplaceable) batteries!!!!

Solution...get the 820...battery can be replaced.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
siulm

I just received my nokia lumia 920 and 2 days later, one single recharge. It was going great until few minutes ago. It warmed up with using it and now the phone is off and can't start up.
Can anyone help?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bigbosseby

I have been using Lumia 920 from last two months and the battery was awesome. But all of a sudden last week it started to drain in a few hours. I mean a full charge, and battery would be flat in 4-5 hours. I tried turning off location, Bluetooth off WiFi off and what not but didn't help. I did a full charge and left on battery saver and still didn't help. And finally as a last resort I did a factory reset which has sorted the issue and the phone is back to normal!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NokiNerd

I am having exactly the same issue. I am using the same battery saving tactics that I used with my last phone a Samsung Focus Plus w WP7. Unfortunately this is not working with the Nokia 920. This is issue is bigger than turning off Wi-Fi or Bluetooth! Do you hear the words that are coming out of my mouth Nokia? Fix it you guys!

Please use plain text.
cial46

[ Edited ]

I been having the same problem with my 920. Gets real warm at the top of the phone . At the time I was watching a movie. I had nothing running in the background. The same thing happen again today when watching a movie but today it also restarted too. What is the problem Guys, I love this phone pls help.(m********@hotmail.com

Moderator's note: Your post has been edited. Email address was removed as it is unwise to publish personal information on forums like this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

After how much time of watching the movie do you feel the phone getting warm ? I am sure its not immediately as you start or even after some 8-10 minutes.. but more. If so, its absolutely fine till its WARM and not HOT .... 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sarna

[ Edited ]

Is there any fix for this. The issue is now very frequent on my phone. My phone is warm even if I close all applications

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

Hi Guys,

Check your phone if it's already up to date. The latest update that Nokia released globally is the 1308 update. Installing the update should fix your heat and battery issues. 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
CougarDave

Hello.  I have the 1308 update but I am still experiencing significant, periodical heat with battery drain issues.  I literally can feel the phone getting warmer in my pocket and when I take it out and look at it, sure enough, the battery has drained anywhere from 15-25% in a less than an hour.  I am in Canada on the Rogers network.  I have tried everything I can think of to prevent this - I have disabled almost all functions (NFC, bluetooth, switched from LTE to 3G, disabled WIFI) all to no avail.  Once it has exhibited the behaviour where the phone is hot to the touch and the battery is draining faster than 15%/hour (I have a battery monitor app that alerts me at this threshold), the only way to stop it is to put the phone into flight mode for a period of time until the temperature comes down, or power off and then back on.

Currently, I am running with battery saver mode always on, meaning I have to manually sync my email and other options, significantly reducing the usefulness of the device.  A couple months ago, when discussing this issue with Rogers, they suggested I factory reset the device.  When I did, the reset failed during the process and essentially bricked the device.  I returned it to Rogers who subsequently sent it to the Nokia repair facility in Canada.  Two weeks later, the phone was returned with a reinstalled OS.  I know they must have taken the phone apart because they had cleaned out all the dust particules that had accumulated under the front facing camera lens.  It was almost completely clouded over and the returned phone was crystal clean (a couple superficial scratches I had along the right edge of the glass told me this was the same phone though, not a replacement).

The phone seemed ok for a while, but then the dust under the camera lens began to accumulate again, and the heat + battery issues returned.  I don't know if there is any correlation.  I don't use the auto-adjust brightness feature as I didn't know if that relied on the front facing camera to measure the light level and with it getting so dirty, I believe it would not be very reliable.

I absolutely love everything about this phone, but this one issue is driving me insane.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
22Kaiser22

THROW AWAY YOUR WIRELESS BASE CHARGER!!!!!

You want a fix to battery life this is your answer.

Stick with your Micro USB charger.

Power off phone, after 10 seconds power back on. Use only the Micro USB from here on out.

There is an issue in the phone that keeps cycling the wireless frequency.  Stay tuned for a fix as I am testing further as to what component it is.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ak45

I hate to say it but after 2 920's (and I loved this phone) I went back to an iphone 5 till Nokia fixes this problem.

Please use plain text.
rorytoms

[ Edited ]

the 1308 update caused my battery issues...

Please use plain text.
killer

hey,

i've been using my NL920 for about 4 months now!  and i can say this phone is just too good and awesome! i have used GALAXY S3, S2 and S before switching from Nokia N8.

Though WP8 lacks many features which iOS and android have, its a very smooth and fluid OS.

MY BIGGEST AND ONLY COMPLAINT!      "BATTERY LIFE!!!"

i've read many posts and blogs which tell me how to improve battery life on wp8,

disable this/that, switch from 3G/4G to 2G, limit backgroud tasks blah blah!

well i have done all of that and i get about 12-13hrs on 2G with data on, which is extremely sad! and sometimes the NL920 randomly drains the battery very quickly with nothing running!

what i dont really understand is,

NL920 with dual core krait and 2000mah battery = approx 10hrs  usage with 2G data 

Sammy S3 with quadcore A9(powersucker) 2100mah = approx 18hrs usage with 2G data

Nokia made me pay 600$ for a smartphone( dumb battery ). major disappointment switching back to Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Badfuutt

Ha... I love the phone - awesome UI, live tiles, wireless charging, awesome camera etc etc. However the one thing that I just hate is the Battery. It gets hot and drains the battery off even when no apps are running. Btw, I have bluetooth, NFC etc turned off. When it is in my pocket, I can feel the heat and a quick power cycle sets it right. It is definitely an issue with the OS, like a typical windows OS it has something in the kernel working overtime and drains it out. When not in my poicket, there is no way to know it is starting to drain like crazy. On 2 instances my alarm did not work for important appointments because of this drain issue. PLEASE dont tell me to turn xyz things off, by any standards it is not to power off so quickly (within 2 hrs). My wife too has a the same NL920 and her's too does the same. 

I really like this phone, but this battery issue will be the primary reason for changing back to IOS. iPhone 4S although 3 years old, worked without any issues even today. Amazing, I never had a battery issue with it. Never owned an Android phone so cant comment on them, but Android being such a mature OS, I dont expect it to have such issues. 

I read so many posts about this unusually quick battery drain, and just about all of suggestions say turn off this and that, but MS or Nokia never accpet this an issue with their OS. Silly. - Just my 2cents.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ngabor1986

no changes after a couple of days. still warming and battery burning after using usb charger:smileysad:

any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bija

My suspicion was the wireless charger, good to see 22Kaiser22 response.

Also noted that at times base of the 920 phone was still hot when fully charged for a while.

Intermittently the battery is flat in about 10 hours withf non use, but most times (suspect when it works properly) I get almost 2 days. Have had GDR2 update for a while.

Please use plain text.