Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 1020 Bluetooth disconnects everytime I...

VanquishedAgain

Nokia Lumia 1020 Bluetooth disconnects everytime I receive an message

Hello Everyone,

Just picked up my second Lumia 1020, returned the first one because it was dropping calls/losing service, hanging on the lock screen, and the bluetooth kept disconnecting.

Now I find that the bluetooth issue is on my new phone as well. When connected to my 2012 Ford Focus, which has the Microsoft Sync system, everytime i get a text message or maybe even email. My phone disconnects from Bluetooth. I've already tried disconnecting and repairing multiple times, as well as doing the hard power down per nokia's suggestion. Does anyone have any insight on fixing this issue.

My Lumia 900 worked perfectly with this car's bluetooth. If I can't find a fix for it, I'm gonna have to return the phone for good. $299 is too much to spend on a phone that doesn't work right...

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 Bluetooth disconnects everytime I receive an message

..how bout checking for software update? that may help. or doing a factory reset. too bad, i think the 1020 is a very nice fone.

Please use plain text.
VanquishedAgain

Hey there, Thanks for the reply. I've checked for a software update and this is the 2nd 1020 handset I've had that acts this way :smileysad:
I love the phone, but its not acceptable to have my bluetooth disconnect everytime I get a message, its also downright dangerous if I'm gonna have to keep connecting the BT while driving.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yamansb

I have the problem..bluetooth connection drops when connected to BMW x5....i also have 2nd Lumina 1020 and that works fine..hard reset etc..did not solve the problem...i think my phone must be defective

Please use plain text.
Sheeladee

My Lumia 1020 keeps indicating "no service" and I am unable to make or receive phone calls. have tried to power off my phone but it will not power off (it keeps powering back on). Help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you checked that you are up to date with the latest firmware on your device, and the latest Nokia system app updates in the Store? also try perfomring a soft reset, and also check that your micro-SIM card is cut correctly and that inserted correctly in the SIM tray.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
1020lumiauser

I am having the same issues. My1020 will hold a connection to bluetoth with my Lincoln sync for 3 1/2 minutes and then drop it. I can reset the phone, and does not help. If I turn on bluetooth it tries to connect to the sync item now, and when it can not and I turn off bluetooth it never completes the turn off, it just keeps showing the 3 or 4 dots at the top of screen moving from left to right.

My wifes 920 connects fine. getting frustrrated

Att Tech support decided they needed to do a SIM card reset. Lets see if that helps, I am doubtfull.

Please use plain text.
1020lumiauser

[ Edited ]

Ok, Tech Support "re-registered the SIM" did nothing to help. Sync system is still disconnected.after 3  1/2 minutes.

I have been timing it, and this happens like clockwork, not able to do anything to keep it connected. Sometime if I am in the middle of a call it will dtay connected, but then 3 1/2 minutes after ending the call it drops. Now it is even stranger, the connection at the Sync is desconnected, but the phone still thinks it is connected. Then I try to turn off bluetooth and it stalls with the 5 dots zipping across the top, so then try to make a call and the phone does not let me listen to it on either place (phone or bluetooth system) and then I try to turn off the phone and it hangs. So I did a hard power (power button and volume down) 

Tech support said they would call back in 5 minutes, still nothing 20 minutes later.

Calling them again grrrrrr

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DaveLey

My Lumia 1020 initially pairs with my Range Rover blutooth system and then drops in and out fairly intermittantly. This is very annying just tried my old HTC HD& with it and that is fine. Everything else seems to work fine...this is very annoying. Tried all the reboot etc fault stays same.

Please use plain text.
peterdc

I am having the same issue with my BMW 335 2010 and my brand new Nokia 1020.  Just upgraded from a Nokia 920 that had the exact same problem.   I had the 900 originally with the 7.5 OS and never had a problem (but broke screen and though it would be cool to get the new phone)  What a mistake. 

Agree with comments that this is a SAFETY issue.  Here in the DC metro area it is also illegal to talk or text while driving.  The handsfree functions for both the  talk and text on the NOKIA (when the blue tooth works) are incredible. You can even edit text messages using voice commands. 

If anyone has any insight on how they fixed their problem, sans replacing the phone with an iphone or droid, PLEASE let us know.  Just don't want to go back as I really like my Nokia/Windows combo. 

Did find on another thread that the US has a different firmware than those in Europe and they don't have a problem over there. The thread mentioned the UK.

Hey NOKIA support - can you please comment on this?

Please use plain text.
peterdc

All, please check out this link to see if your BMW is compatible with the NOKIA 1020, 900, 920 etc. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BluetoothTechnology/bluetoothframedin.aspx

You can enter in your vehicle vin and see what phones are compatable. 

According to this chart, my car,  bmw 335 2010, is not compatible with either the 920 or 1020.  This blows.

So, we can either push BMW to update their software or push nokia to make sure it is compatible with older versions of bluetooth and not the latest bluetooth standard.  

Developers out there, can you please provide a bluetooth fix.  There are many of us out there that would love to buy it  from you. 

Please use plain text.
peterdc

Ok. I think I have gotten to the bottom of this conundrum.  In short, we have bluetooth incompatibility.  A number of people have communicated that their older Lumia's worked great, but since "upgrading" to either a 920 or 1020, they are having issues. 

The NOKIA 900 uses BLUETOOTH 2.1

The NOKIA 920/925/928/1020 all use BLUETOOTH 3.0

Unfortunately, Bluetooth 3.0 is not backwards compatible with 2.1.   We can connect initially,  but then we need to reconnect each everytime. 

Sorry folks. It looks like we need to purchase a bluetooth handsfree for the car. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vlad7777

I checked BMW compatibility and it shows Nokia Lumia 1020 as fully compatible with my VIN - all phone functions and Phone Contact list (no SIM contacts) - but I cannot get it to work with my 2012 BMW X5.

I have latrest software from BMW and have latest available Lumia 1020 firmware and software - I read that GDR3 fixes problems with Bluetooth and makes problem that I have go away.

But I am not keen in updating my phone with beta software not approved by Nokia or my Telco (AT&T)

It is very upsetting that BMW lists this phone as very compatible when in fact it cannot even connect as a headset device.

It connects for a few seconds and then disconnects immediaely if I try to look up last calls or phone book or try to dial a number.

If GDr3 fixes the problem - then Nokia shoud immediately send out the fix ahead of general release of GDR3 or firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I have my 1020 working with quite a few BMW bluetooth systems. Not only do I get contacts, it also reads my sms's for me. Perhaps deleting pairing both ends and try re-pairing again. You will be asked if you want to sync your contacts. If you select yes and have lots of contacts, give your phone sometime to sync contacts after initial pairing before attempting to use the phone. I have found in the past that interrupting this may sometimes cause problems. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
emldlmy

Hi, did you have any luck with this?  Same symptoms in the UAE.  Bluetooth works for a while then hangs and I see the dots scrolling across the screen when I try to turn it off/on.  It also impacts WIFI at the same time. If I have bluetooth turned off it works flawlessly.  It happens paired to my Nissan Pathfinder and also when using 'Tap to Share' with my Lumia 920.

Please use plain text.
Philn

Please dont assume this is only a US problem. I have a Lumia 920 in the UK and have exactly the same issue with connectivity to a Ford CMAX

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grillmaster

It is also an issue with BT headsets. BTW the Black update actually made things worse for me not better, Nokia is no help because none of my sets is a Nokia (Jawbone, Plantronics and Motorola) and they insist unless I buy a Nokia headset they cannot/will not help! I bought this phone because my old E63 did the same thing so this is not a new thing for Nokia. I am disgusted at this point and may sell this 1020 and get a Droid phone or Apple as I cannot hack this issue any more
Please use plain text.