Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 520 doesn't show settings and problems...

Contributor
Inès
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 520 doesn't show settings and problems switching off

HI everybody, 

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 520 5 days ago. I was excited , but noticed something was wrong immediately when I turned the phone on. It would not show me my pictures, nor my settings and it took ages to turn the phone off. 

I took it back to the store, where I could change it in for a new one. 

Apparently, the SAME problem occurs with this phone. It will only show me the settings the first couple of minutes after I turn the phone on, after that I cannot access them. Also, it does not want to turn off. I have to pull the battery (which cannot be good) out of the phone. 

I updated the phone software (which was not easy considering I can only access the setting the first few minutes after I turn it on, and I need wifi to do it) and I hard rebooted, as was suggested on the support page. 

The problem still remains though, and I do not know what to do. 

I am very unhappy with this product, and it does not motivate to ever buy a nokia product again, since this is the SECOND nokia lumia  520 in a row that does not work properly. 

Has anybody ever had the same problem? What can I do to fix it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 doesn't show settings and problems switching off

When you say you cannot access settings, I assume you have inserted a sim card, logged into your Microsoft account and social media and emails and set up the phone ? I haven't come accross your issue or seen other posts and it is possible tyoiu've had two rogue handsets but pretty unlikely.

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ElectriNik54

did you update your phone??

looks like we have the same problem. i guess its not the problem with any camera app, its with (any) application trying to store anything on the SD card. i have lumia 820 updated to GDR2. most of my issues are solved but one still remained.
for those who dint encounter this kind of problem, try connecting the device to PC and transfer a large data ( try moving a lot of music files). NOW cancle the data transfer in middle, if the copy window wont go away then you have successfully craeted the problem. NOW your phone wont restart with the power button, some apps might refuse to start and setting menu wont open!!!!

nn.m
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Inès

Thank you for your reply, Carman58.

Yes, I have indeed insterted the sim card, logged on with my account and set up the phone. Everything works fine when it comes down to texting and calling, I just cannot access the settings. 

I know that the probability of me getting a busted phone twice in a row is pretty slim... 

That is why I updated the phone software and have rebooted the system. The problem is still there though. This is really weird. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Inès

Hi ElektriNik! 

I forgot to mention that I can't hook the phone on to my computer, it just won't install. 

The picture problem does not occur with the second phone, it is just the fact that I cannot access my settings, that it won't turn off without me forcing it and that I can't install it on my computer... 

So I don't think the SD card could have anything to do with it, right? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Inès

I took my SD card out and everything works properly now.

I cannot thank you enough ElektriNik! Thank you all for the replies. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ElectriNik54

can you give me some details related to which SD card you are using?? (eg sandisk 32gb class10)

nn.m
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Inès

I'm really a noob in this kind of stuff, but is says SanDisk 8 GB micro HC. 

Please use plain text.
areesha

I have bought Nokia lumia 520 about 20 days before now my mobile is switched off just showing a moving setting wheel on black screen, please tell me what is the problem with my handset
Please use plain text.
areesha

My Nokia lumia 520 goes on factory setting moving setting wheel continuously what shhuld I do now
Please use plain text.