Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 520 micro sd memory card problem

Contributor
JG4545
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 520 micro sd memory card problem

Hi,

I've been hoping to purchase a 32GB memory card but read some bad reviews about the 520 not being able to

smoothly play music stored on the card.  Some have suggested to use a class 6 card so I'm wondering if there is a

particular card that works best with this phone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 micro sd memory card problem

[ Edited ]

You should be able to use any card that isn't Class 10, so any Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 up to 64GB from a reputable brand such as SanDisk, Lexar or Kingston. Unfortunately Sandisk no longer produce a Class 6 32GB microSDXC and only Class 10 is available, but have satisfactorily used 32GB microSDHC Class 4 version in 620 and 820.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JG4545

Is this a Windows 8 problem and if so do you think the next upgrade will solve this issue?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]

You have probably already seen quote at bottom of page in this Nokia resource: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/lumia820-tips-and-tricks

"If you are getting a micro SD card, it is worth noting that some cards are currently incompatible with the Lumia 820. While we are working on expanding the micro SD card support, we’d recommend you to use a faster random write performance card from a well-known manufacturer. You can also save videos to phone memory by setting ’Store new pictures on’ to your phone (in Settings tap ‘phone storage)"

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MichaelMatejka

I'm having problems syncing my nokia 520 with my mac --  every time I try to transfer music files, the windows phone app freezes, and then my phone no longer recognizes the microSD card, so I have to reformat it and start over.  I have a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10.  It seems you might be suggesting that it's the card itself that's the problem?  The linked site says the higher the class, the better.  Isn't class 10 the best?  Or is it written somewhere else that the Nokia 520 doesn't support Class 10?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MichaelMatejka

just a quick update in case anyone got stuck like i did.  i brought my phone and sd card back to where i bought it -- after being bounced from nokia to microsoft to apple, and all the while I was thinking it was just a bum sd card.  the store actually gave me a new sd card, and when that also didn't work, they were about to give me a new phone.  But one more try, and . . .

The problem was that the card had to be formatted by a PC before being put in the phone.  The phone has a format option, but apparently it didn't actually work.  After doing a hard reset on the phone and formatting the SD card on a computer, we put it in the phone and everything worked fine.

I've known it'd be better to format the card on a computer, but my macbook doesn't have an sd slot, so this wouldn't have been an option for me.  

Afterwards, everything worked fine.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
seafat

MichaelMatejka wrote:

I'm having problems syncing my nokia 520 with my mac --  every time I try to transfer music files, the windows phone app freezes, and then my phone no longer recognizes the microSD card, so I have to reformat it and start over.  I have a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10.  It seems you might be suggesting that it's the card itself that's the problem?  The linked site says the higher the class, the better.  Isn't class 10 the best?  Or is it written somewhere else that the Nokia 520 doesn't support Class 10?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bruce123

I have just gone through all the frustration of the memory card not being recognized, the solution is to put the memory card in the phone prior to starting the phone for the first time. If you dont do this you have to do a full reset of your phone under settings with the card in it. I am also using a Class 10 card 32GB with no problems.

Please use plain text.
Brewster19

I recently purchased a ScanDisk Ultra 32GB for my new Nokia 520. After I install it into the SD slot of my Nokia 520 phone it wont power back up. I get my ATT welcome screen and then it goes black and appears to power down. When I remove the card it works fine.  I tried reformating the SD card but that does not seem to have fixed it. As best I can tell it is instered all the way in so I don't think that is the issue.  Any one have any ideas before I do a hard rest on the phone and loose all my settings?

Please use plain text.
Antinea

I have a Lumia 520 and a Micro SD card Kingston SDCX10/64GBSP (Class 10). The card is sometimes not detected but most times it is. I used the card from the very beginning this Summer, and formatted it before using it. 

Since the very beginning the phone has trouble playing mp3 music. All my music is stored on the memory card, I haven't checked if the same problem occurs with mp3s stored on the phone. The problem occurs both with playback on the speakers AND on the earphones, I suspect nothing wrong with the speakers. Also, nothing is wrong with the mp3s themselves. 

What happens is this: I use the inbuilt music player and it works fine for about 20 minutes, then the sound garbles and then music falls silent. It's impossible to close the app or stop the (silent) music playing, the timer of the music keeps running. Although I can go to the start screen, the silent music keeps playing in the background and no other sounds will play in the meantime. The only thing that solves this is a hard reset and take the battery out. If I stop playing music before the garbling begins, everything is fine and I can stop the music player as well. But playing music for longer than a few songs keeps giving the same garbling & jam. 

Any possible solutions? 

Please use plain text.
Antinea

Actually, I think it's mostly a problem with detecting my micro SD card. 

Should I try formatting it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

You can try formatting it and you could also try another card, preferably lower speed and a genuine one from a reputable brand, e.g. Sandisk.

Please use plain text.
Antinea

I will try formatting again.

it's so annoying that I can't play my music.

for me it's the most important functionality of a smartphone.

and i though Kingston was a good brand...? 

I was told this card would be compatible with the Lumia 520 when I bought it (bought them together). 

Also, I paid 50 euro for this memory card.

I'm not really willing to spend another 50 euro, especially because I suspect the problem isn't with the memory card but rather with the Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Please try and let the phone do the formatting, and leave the card in the phone at all times.

I use a Kingston 32GB class 10 for mp3 playback during walks and workouts for hours in a Lumia 720 without issues.

Kingston is a reputable brand, and it's backed by a lifetime warranty. Talk to your dealer for a replacement if needed.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.