Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 521 3G not working

Registered Member
gurish

Nokia Lumia 521 3G not working

Hi,

I have a carrier unlocked Lumia 521 which I am trying to use in Asia. I am unable to connect to my carrier's 3G network even though network's carrier frequency is 2100.

What could be the problem ?

Thanks,

Rishabh

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Nokia Lumia 521 3G not working

Are you using your carriers sim or a local sim?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

RM-917 = Nokia 521 = AWS. Your Nokia works on the 2100 band, but only in AWS mode which is a US specific band using 1700 and 2100. or said differently: Your observed behaviour is normal.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gurish

Thanks for the info.

So you mean to say that 2100 band in US is different from 2100 band in Asia/Europe ? Since the phone says support for HSDPA 2100 I assumed it would work on 2100 network anywhere in the world.

Interestingly, I have a Lumia 520 also which works perfectly fine on 3G network in Asia. So, if both 520 and 521 are based on the same hardware, why shouldn't 521 work on 2100 network outside US.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

gurish wrote:

Interestingly, I have a Lumia 520 also which works perfectly fine on 3G network in Asia. So, if both 520 and 521 are based on the same hardware, why shouldn't 521 work on 2100 network outside US.

Because the 520 is a global variant while it seems the 521 is exclusive to T-Mobile US only

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

gurish, although AWS uses the 2100 band it does in a complete different way, compared to a normal 3G handset with 2100 support. AWS is AWS, and the Nokia 521 is AWS.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
samadams

I have the same problem. I unlock my T-Mobile 521 and brought it to Costa Rica and it doesn't work. Now I am going to Korea and need to know how to make it work there. I appreciate any replies.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

Not possible. The required hardware is not present.

Please use plain text.