Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 521 Wifi calling

mGraziano
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 521 Wifi calling

Wifi calling does not work.  I turned it on under wifi calling settings and selected WiFi preferred, but when I am connected to wifi the phone tile says T-Mobile.  I have only seen it work a couple of times when it said wifi on the phone tile. One of the times was at work after 3 hours of it sitting on my desk with wifi connected.  The tile said wifi, but if a switch wifi calling off and back on again it was gone for the rest of the day.  If I set it to wifi only and tile says no service.  I did try a phone reset but that did not work.  My brother-in-law has the lumia 521 as well and he could not get it to work either.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

Re: Nokia Lumia 521 Wifi calling

you could be sure that you are not dropping the wifi network as a check..

settings/Wi-Fi/advanced/"Keep WiFi on when the screen times out.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
mGraziano

Yes, that option is checked.  No wifi calling from three different wifi locations with strong wifi signal and two different nokia lumia 521 phones.  This option apparently does not work!

Please use plain text.
mGraziano

Hold the phone! Wifi calling is on!  I've been in wifi for 4 hours and it finally kicked on.  The last time this happened I turn wifi calling off then back on again to see if it would come back on and it did not.  This time I'm going to leave it on and see what happens when I go home.  I noticed that the wifi calling settings icon is green.  I have seen it blue or red as well.  What do the colors mean?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

can't remember for sure, but have a look at a recent post over on WPCentral.com. from memory its about two or three days ago, but the editor there made a video demonstrating WiFi calling on the 521.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
mGraziano

Wow, I got it working.  The video at WPCentral was helpful in that I found out that if I make the wifi calling settings icon large I can see the status.  Now I can see that when I turn off wifi calling and then turn it back on again I see it 'Enabling...' then I would the an error message: 'REG09: Missing 911 address'.  I then used this link http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3255 to help me find were to enter the missing 911 address.  Not sure why it worked sometimes if that information is required.  Also, I know what the colors on the icon mean now that I can see the status.  Blue is disabled, Green in enabled, and Red is error.  If Nokia is listening maybe you should put the status somewhere in the wifi calling app. To adrianhghes thank you!, thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MicheleGraz

I followed those steps, hit submit and I get an error message that says "Service Unavailable. Please try again later" :question:  I guess I'll try this again later :thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MicheleGraz

GOOD NEWS! When I turn the WIFI calling back on, it is now Green (it was RED before I entered the 911 address) and it now says WiFi Calling is on instead of T-Mobile.  So even though I got that error message, the solution appears to have worked.  If it breaks, I'll let you know :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wcyberg

I had the same problem when I only turned on things through the "wifi calling" tile. I found that you had also to go to settings then choose Wifi and press the advanced button and choose my wifi network, among other signals I get from my neighbors. It then prompted me for my password and everything worked fine.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

glad to hear it worked mate, and you're welcome :smileyhappy:. thanks for sharing the info too about how u got it to work, as it can help others who may find themselves in a pickle! :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.