Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 710/800 Issues/complaints/Problems - R...

Advisor
Atul11

Nokia Lumia 710/800 Issues/complaints/Problems - Really Windows Phone?

Hello,

I got this new Lumia 710 windows phone and as I started to explore I felt like we are going backwords. Most of the features were there in my old nokia phone and and now there are not there...See the list below:

1. Lodspeaker can not be used with Radio. You can only here radio through headphone.
  2. No internet sharing with PC. (Teathering)
  3. Cannot set MP3 Songs as ring tones directly. You have to convert song into ringtone first.
  4. Cannot use Phone as storage device.
  5. Cannot store 2 mobile numbers in one contact. You have use another category to save 2nd mobile no.
  6. No “week” view in calendar. This is ridicules. Month view is so tiny that you cannot see meeting, appointments.
  7. Cannot connect to PC or another mobile through Bluetooth for file transfer.
  8. Bluetooth can only be used to connect wireless headset.
  9. Alarms do not ring if phone is switched off.
  10. Phone does not charge in switched off mode. It automatically switches ON.
  11. Cannot answer/reject calls without unlocking screen.
  12. Speech feature is provided for calling and messaging. However it is not there for e-mails where it is most needed to write long e-mails.
  13. Memory cannot be expanded as there is no memory slot.
  14.  No option to take backup of all content at once. You have to sync contacts with windows live, music with Zune, other documents with Skydrive.
  15. Cannot take backup of messages.
  16. Cannot send messages using any of PC software. This feature is there in Nokia Suite.
  17. Cannot search in message. This is most needed feature. You have to scroll through all messages to look for old message.
  18. Cannot send or receive business card.
  19. Phone does not support alpha-numeric password for screen lock, and so unable to sync with corporate exchange server as outlook exchange server policy for our company requires alpha-numeric password.
  20. Would have been good if included front facing camera…but never mind.
  21. Long calls gets disconnected after 15-18 min. Not sure why.
  22. They have provided Microsoft office but you cannot open password protected excel or word file.

Guys...Anyone has any solution / work around to thse issues?

Atul

Current Phone: Lumia 710
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Nokia Lumia 710/800 Issues/complaints/Problems - Really Windows Phone?

2. confirmed as coming soon as firmware update

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Atul11

@

This is a great news. So I can use one internet connection on both Phone and laptop. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dianits

Hey Atul11 i have a Nokia Lumia 800 and i have the same problems. I wanna set an mp3 as ringtone but i cant.

Golf list

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Atul11

Hello dianits,

Actually You can set the mp3 as ringtone...But it is too complicated.

Procedure as below:

1. Fire up Zune, go to your music library and drag and drop the ringtones there.

2. Right click the ringtones and select “Edit”

3. In “Genre” select or type “Ringtone”

4. Sync your phone and you are done! In your Lumia, go ”Settings” > “Ringtones + Sounds” > and set your custom ringtone

But you have to make sure that

• Ringtone File formats are of MP3 and WMA only.
  • Duration is less than 40 seconds.
  • Size is less than a MegaByte (1MB)
  • You have Zune software for phone sync

I will rather not do this long procedure. and use just standard ringtones supplied with phone.

Hope this helps.

Atul

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@ Diantis

Hi,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the discussion forums.

Please have a look at the following link, it will guide you on how to add your custom ring tones.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/start/create-ringtones.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Atul11

23. How do I set phone to answer automatically after one or two rings when it is connected to Bluetooth headset?

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

1. The radio can be used with headphones in.
Hold your finger on the screen and it will give you the option
2. Tethering is coming, not all phones have this option.
3. Mp3's can be set as ringtones
4&7. This is a decision by Microsoft to keep control of the phone, if you wanted this then wp7 is the wrong phone for you,
8. Not true, Blutooth can be used in cars, to connect to wireless speakers, hi-fi, pc for streaming music, can also connect keyboards
10. So what, what difference does it make
21. Not sure what you are talking about here, I have had calls longer than 15mins.
23. I don't think you can and don't see why you want to, just answer the call the way that you normally do.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Atul11

@ Kevgallacher

Thanks for the reply.
1. I got it now. Can switch to speaker by holding screen and options.
2. I am waiting for it. This is the most important for me.
3. Yes. MP3 can set as ringtone but the procedure is complicated. Waht normal users want is to go to music library-> click on track -> and set it as ringtone. As simple as that.
4. Okay. I will live with it.
8. Okay
10. Dosent make any difference but was just wondering why it can not charge while switched OFF.
21. This is not always. I experienced this on long conference calls after started using this phone. No issues with the service provider as my old phone work fine without disconnection.
23. It is convinence when bluetooth is connected and you are driving. Pressing Button on bluetooth can sometimes be tedious.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

I don't think there is an option for automatic answering.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Regarding tethering, Nokia have said its ready but will only be rolled out with Microsofts next big OS update - no release date yet.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@kevgallagher

which is odd as it's available in Mango it's just up to the manufactirer to enable it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

I have to agree with many of these, I mean, it's supposed to be a smartphone?

Yet you can't set ringtones directly, can't use the "smart"phone as a mass storage unit, can't even tether internet, these are just a few ridiculous missing things.

I think the Nokia 6600 can do more things than this one.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

This phone is not a successor to any previous Nokia phone, so I don't see why people keep saying about how their old Nokia did this or that. This is an entirely new OS and the problems mentioned in this thread are related to that not the hardware. There are many choices available today. Microsoft have chosen to do things a certain way, some of these may change in future updates but there is no gaurantee. There are many phones out there that don't let you use the mass storage. Microsoft has done to keep control and limit the amount of hacking that would happen. The tethering is coming, its just held up due to the way Microsoft handles their updates.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

Mass storage not available due to "hacking"?

No, not really, it's because Microsoft wants people to use their SkyDrive option...

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

If you can get any file onto a computer then it can be hacked. This is the way any device gets hacked, examples include the Wii, PSP, Xbox etc. Once you have a way to upload files directly to a device, it doesn't take long for someone to find a flaw in the security that allows executable code to be uploaded.

By limiting users access to storage and limiting apps to changing parts of the OS, it makes it more difficult to get past the security, its not invincible just harder, with no limitations, the phone would be hacked and you would have all sorts if custom code running. As said before if these are features you want the a wp7 is the wrong choice of phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Atul11

I will not blame NOKIA for all these complains. These are not related to hardware. A simple modification in software can solve most of these. Microsoft should really think on updating their OS to compete in the market.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

You say Microsoft should update their OS and they will, but a lot if these issues are done as a design choice by Microsoft and will most likely not change. You say to compete but a lot of these "issues" are on the iPhone also. Its just people are comparing wp7 to android and Symbian which are more open to the consumer. Microsoft have locked down certain aspects of their OS and if people don't like it, they don't have to buy it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

point 1

Radio requires the headset to be plugged in to have an antenna..

point 9-10

As you never turn off a Sx0/Symbian Nokia phone but the switch puts it in standby this is obvious. On windowsphone OFF means OFF

To charge it needs to be on..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akshata

Hi 

In nokia lumia 710, I am not able to check the balanace i.i *111# & *141# are not working. how to over come this

Please use plain text.