Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 710 - problems with backup and pho...

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Nokia Lumia 710 - problems with backup and phone update

Six months ago, a friend of mine in South India had an iphone, and wanted something simpler to replace it with.   Having read a lot about the new Windows phones, I recommended the Nokia Lumia 710.

I left before he bought the phone, and he had various people set up the phone for him, using whatever computers they might have had.  They copied over his phone contacts, etc., set up accounts, finished it, and gave him the phone.  (For him, it’s just a phone; he doesn’t care about the cloud, games, music downloads, Microsoft accounts, and all the rest – he just wants to use it as a phone.)

Last week I was visiting him again, and he told me he had several issues with the phone.  I solved some of them, but got completely stuck in what I thought would be a five-minute fix – updating the phone.  I’ll post the other issues in a separate thread – for the most part, I got them all sorted out.

This is in India, and he has minimal internet access in his office.  There is no Wi-Fi, only an Ethernet cable going to his office PC.  There is sometimes a wireless data connection available, but not always, and it doesn’t seem to be very reliable.  On a different phone, we noticed there was only one “bar” of signal strength.

We went to his home, where he has internet and  a brand new Sony VAIO T Series laptop. 

I tried to download Nokia Suite, until I found it was replaced with Zune.  So, I installed Zune, connected the phone, and the program told me that since this was a “guest” computer, it wouldn’t sync his contacts, only music files and other stuff we had no interest in.  All I wanted to do was an update, but I would have preferred to back up his contacts to the PC first, “just in case”. 

After struggling with how to get the phone to work with his new PC, I read a warning that I had to re-set the sync settings, but there was a chance that something could go wrong, and he would lose the data on the phone.  Since the PC and the phone weren’t talking, I tried to use the software at www.phonecopy.com, only to get a warning that Nokia/Windows/Microsoft/whatever have decided to not allow phone contacts to be copied via other software.  What?????

His contacts may or may not be stored on his Microsoft account, which he never uses, and has no idea what the password might be.  He gets his Windows mail on his work PC, and I think someone set it up to send mail to the phone as well.  As far as I know right now, there is NO copy/backup of his phone contacts anywhere other than the phone itself.

I am stuck, baffled, frustrated, and amazed that this could be happening.  For starters, his contacts are HIS contacts, and how dare anyone tell him that he can’t back them up on any computer or service he wishes to use?   Then too, this is HIS new computer, and if he wants to sync his phone to it, or to as many computers as he wants, so what?  Why in the world is this not allowed?

Back to the present.  I would love to debate all this “stuff” at some point, but right now I need to make sure his contacts are backed up to HIS computer (not a cloud that may or may not be accessible), and then to update his phone to the latest software.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia Lumia 710 - problems with backup and phone update

I've seen this question asked many times over on the official windows phone forum so you may want to check there for an answer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Mike_Myers_N8

You might like to look at this resource, but when it comes to contacts unfortunately it all hinges upon accessing Windows Live account:http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia710/userguide/?action=onlineuserguidepagechange&pFil...

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

psychomania, thanks.  I will check there.

I'm really bummed out - it's a phone.  It makes phone calls, and messages, and like almost any other phone it has a phonebook.  All the other stuff is "gravy".

I wonder if it can even copy the contacts to the SIM card?  If it were mine, I'd do that, and go buy an A_____d phone without all these silly restrictions, but it's not mine, and I need to get it updated (now much less important), and to back up a copy of the contacts somehow or other.  Even the iphone works with phonecopy.com .   Oh well.  Thanks for your reply - I guess I have a lot of reading to do, just to do something that should be so basic.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

aslergerguy, thanks once again! My friend has no idea what his Windows ID is, nor does he want to. He just wants a phone. We tried to fill out the form to recover a password, but it would take hours to fill out the stuff they ask for, and there's no way to get the new password sent to his other email.

Yes, I know from my PC how to work with Windows Live, but that's for a computer. My friend didn't buy a computer that makes phone calls, he bought what was intended to be a simple up-to-date Nokia phone.

The ONLY thing I need to get off the phone is the contacts.

Any idea how to copy them to a SIM card, or is that banned as well?

Thanks in advance - very frustrated here.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Your frustrations appear to be with Microsoft on this issue as it is their OS, have you posted on their answers forum? They can also help with live account issues.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Can I answer this two ways?

First, no, I haven't posted there yet, and plan to do so as soon as possible, maybe tonight, using the link you provided.

Second answer....   had I known this doctor was going to have to deal with Microsoft, and all this "nonsense", I never, ever, would have suggested he buy the Nokia phone.  He bought it as a simple device to make phone calls, send messages, and it's nice that it has a camera and can do email.  If he wanted a "smart phone", I would have certainly suggested Android.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (love it), as well as two Nokia N8 phones, one "Anna" and one "Belle".  Other than the fact that the N8 is a bit complicated, it would have been a better phone for his needs. 

Anyway, it is a Nokia phone, not a Windows phone.  Just like Google, Samsung, LG, HTC, and all the others can make changes in the phone to suit their customerrs, so can Nokia.  Nokia could have insisted on making the phone user friendly *for those who want it that way*, and with bullet-proof security for those who want it that way.  Someone who wants something bullet-proof is likely to get a phone a little better than the 710 anyway.

Hey, just think of the negative reaction were Microsoft to make it such that Windows Contacts could ONLY be copied to a Microsoft serverr!!!!    :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Please use plain text.