Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 800 Nokia Drive Application (it's USP)

Registered Member
tcampbell

Nokia Lumia 800 Nokia Drive Application (it's USP)

[Post here if you also agree the features I note below are simple, obvious and are to be expected of a phone that has the unique selling point (USP) being the nokia drive app)

Okay so I upgraded to the nokia lumia from my Iphone 3gs today as I realised I only use my phone for a few key features:

The iphone navfree app

Phoning

Texting

Emails

I dont do angry birds or other silly games. However,I do use my phone for business so; word, presentation and excel are also a must.

I therefore went to the shops and noticed the Nokia Drive application covering half a wall with an inbuild loop video and the new phone. (clearly this phone is about the ability to have a proper inbuilt satnav I thought).

I now have the phone and have been searching for many hours on this specific question:

Where do I change the setting in Nokia Drive from its automatic route planning to the shortest/fastest/no motorway/ no toll road options?

Because as a serious point here, how can you honestly call anything a satnav system or compare it to one without these key features.

Am I just a fool and can not find it?

Is it going to become a feature?

If so when? Because currently my iphones better but I just managed to 'upgrade' to a weaker product.

Heres the issue:

I live in nottingham, the quickest way to places such as Annesley is not the motorway, its 12 miles of traffic, the quicker way is to go up towards hucknell but take a left at the roundabout before entering the town, avoiding the stupidly long traffic that the morning and afternoon brings (saving you around 20-30 mins each way).

If I had the option of 'no motorway' I could get around this, or if I could choose 'shortest route' because its only 9 miles void of motorway...

So as much as the phone is lovely, I need/wated it for this core feature and it is not up to any kind of expectation. How could Nokia miss out the fact that this key feature is not present in all its facy adverts...

PLEASE TELL ME YOU WILL BE ADDING THIS FEATURE BEFORE THE NEW YEAR, if not then I guess ill sell the phone on ebay and keep my iphone...

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
maatn

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 Nokia Drive Application (it's USP)

Hi,

I got the same issue. Way to work is 440km on the motorway but just 330km off the motorway, but i cant choose the other route because taking the motorway would take 10 minutes less...

Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

Well, I kind of understand your frustration - but I don't know if you can be upset at Nokia for offering Drive built-in and free, even if it lacks features that full navigation apps have. Don't think they advertised non-exsistant features, and  I couldn't use Navfree on my iPhone - coverage of the maps was haphazard at best, and non-existant in Spain or Italy (where I really need it). iPhone doesn't have any navigation built in, so I was pretty happy with getting Drive on WP.

I say "pretty happy", because I really expected to be able to navigate without an online connection. Symbian's Drive allowed that, and was packed with much more features (including the option to avoid motorways etc) so I really don't understand why Nokia took a backwards step with the WP7 version.

I hope that Nokia pile support and updates into Drive and the Lumia series, as this really is the last chance saloon as far as i'm concerned. I seem to remember Nokia saying that a future update would allow for offline navigation - anyone confirm this?

Please use plain text.

For me the biggest annoyance is that I can't set the maps to be "north up".

It's really annoying having the maps rotate in 2D mode, especially if you're in an area that you know reasonably well. In general, I've always found the north up maps help you learn your way around.

I really hope this gets added; I must have used 8 or so different satnavs over the years and they all had this option.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheBigM

Looking at Drive now, I don't see it but I'm positive I had that option before. Perhaps the option got removed in a more recent update.
Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

Hopefully all these issues will be addressed with updates as all these features are available with drive on my N8 which I still prefer for navigation at present  especially as it uses too much power and I can have the N8 docked and charging whilst driving.

If this was helpful please click Star for Kudos

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

"Looking at Drive now, I don't see it but I'm positive I had that option before. Perhaps the option got removed in a more recent update."

That option is under settings/ Applications/Maps.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have been using Maps and Drive on E71 for 3 to 4 years, it is excellent! The map uses in the Ovi Drive for my country, Singapore is very detail. It indicates also the numbers of lanes and direction at the junction of the road. Both Drive and Maps can work in FULL OFF-LINE - no 3G data, no Wifi is needed.

I have switches to Nokia Lumia 800 recently  and discovered:

- Different maps is used.

- can not work in off-line.

- Can not define / customize my favorite place.

Ovi Drive is definitely a USP, which have made me stay with Nokia. If Nokia Drive and Nokia Map have not update / improved soon, it will drive me to Android or Iphone soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cmbiology

It is realy annoying that Lumis 800 drive app does not allow offline usage!!!! Nokia hurry up and fix this problem before we get fed up and leave you....

Please use plain text.
Brazil01

I too am very disappointed with Nokia Drive on my phone. It was one of the main attractions to buying this phone and the app is a total let down. It is light years behind the navigation experience on Symbian devices. This all needs to get fixed quickly. Other manufacturers of windows phones are offering other features that are working on their phones. The features I have paid for here are not living up to what was promised.
I want to be able to type in an address and have the app direct me there. Not give me suggestions of places nearby that are of no use to me.
I want to be able to save my favourite locations,like I used to in older versions of the app on older phones made by Nokia. Come on,its 2012.
I want maps to be integrated with drive so when I search for a location,I can immediately save it and not have to repeat the action everytime I need to drive to that location.
I basically want the app to work the way it was sold to us,as a fully functional Satnav that can be used offline. I can't do any of this at the moment and it sucks.
If Nokia is hoping that their old faithful customers are going to change over to the lumia range of phones,from their old Symbian devices,then they are going to have to make sure that the new lumia range and the apps that come along with it work just the same,if not better than the old Symbian system.
I am still using my Nokia c7 to navigate because the experience is so much better than on the lumia. I hope they get this sorted,because quite frankly,I am not happy with the product the way it is now.
I hope Nokia is listening,because I regard myself as a faithful Nokia customer and fan,we are not the folks that Nokia can afford to lose as customers.
This app in third world countries is vital to some folks and if you want to convince customers in these developing markets to buys your new top of the range product,then these important apps need to work the way they are expected to.
Update,update,update....
This is an awesome app....when its working!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ronanhalpenny

"Well, I kind of understand your frustration - but I don't know if you can be upset at Nokia for offering Drive built-in and free, even if it lacks features that full navigation apps have."

Sorry, but yes we can be annoyed at Nokia for the shortcomings of Lumia navigation software. It was excellent and full featured on Symbian, and many people will upgrade from Symbian to Windows Phone OS, it being a logical upgrade. Said people will, understandably, expect that if they upgrade to a top of the range phone, from the same manufacturer, which boasts an excellent navigation feature, that it will be similarly excellent. People expect things to improve, or at the very least stay the same, when they upgrade to something new. They don't expect something to be far worse than its predecessor, nor should they.

Goodnight.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jakobeymart

Yes, we need a version which has (at least) the same features as the Symbian one.
Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

ronanhalpenny wrote:
"Well, I kind of understand your frustration - but I don't know if you can be upset at Nokia for offering Drive built-in and free, even if it lacks features that full navigation apps have."

Sorry, but yes we can be annoyed at Nokia for the shortcomings of Lumia navigation software. It was excellent and full featured on Symbian, and many people will upgrade from Symbian to Windows Phone OS, it being a logical upgrade. Said people will, understandably, expect that if they upgrade to a top of the range phone, from the same manufacturer, which boasts an excellent navigation feature, that it will be similarly excellent. People expect things to improve, or at the very least stay the same, when they upgrade to something new. They don't expect something to be far worse than its predecessor, nor should they.

Goodnight.

Symbian Navigation was exactly the same. It took many updates before it got to where it is now - and it started off costing money, and only working online as well. The WP version has nothing to do with the Symbian version. It has been built from the ground up, and was rushed out in order to be bundled at launch date - as such, Nokia have done a great job, both with the Lumia and with Drive. It's basic, but stable. Fastest GPS fix of any OS i've ever used - including Symbian. Downloadable maps, but yes - features are missing. The updates to the WP version will likely take just as long as the updates to the Symbian version took.
Nokia have "assured us" that the update to Drive which includes offline mode, lane guidance and alternative routes is due this week. Personally, I think it may slip due to the Lumia's firmware update getting pushed out through more countries today.
Of course, Nokia's could have not bundled Drive with Lumia at launch, and instead waited until this week until launching Drive with offline mode - but I've used it quite a bit since launch, so prefer things they way Nokia have done.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Great news! I have just received the Nokia Drive 2.0.0.2148.

It is now Full Off-line operation, no need to have data link to use the APP.

Also, It remember "Last destinations" .

Thanks Nokia Team! Keep up the good job!

Please use plain text.
Sage

440km to work?!?!?!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

I've used 2 navigation programs on the 3Gs, and they were slower than a regular TomTom, and the accuracy was **bleep**, Nokia Drive works very fast and accurately, as for the features, they are coming, they had to rush it on the platform for Lumia 800s release.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mynxii

So pleae Nokia please - get Drive up to the same standard that Ovi maps for symbian is - the latest updates are great but please now add route points, route preferences, avoid or go via feature, and aldo please please please add the show route feature.
Also please bring back the integration with ovi maps on line for route planning on a PC witht the opti:w00t:n of then saving your favourite routes to your phone. I've been telling anyone who will listen how great Ovi maps is - please get drive up there as a flagship product also !!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mr_moobs

Can somebody explain what has happened to traffic rerouting? I have switched from an n8 to a Lumia 800 but this has disappeared. Have I just lucked out or is it just hidden....or perhaps coming soon? I have upgraded to the latest version of Drive according to the windows marketplace.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ronanhalpenny

It's probably one of those features that just isn't in the Windows Phone version of Drive yet. There are still some other features that haven't made it to the WP phone version yet that were in the Symbian version. Remember that the WP version was built from scratch, a totally different animal than the Symbian version, so it wasn't just a case of porting it from Symbian.

There's probably more updates in the pipeline for the WP version so hang in there...

Please use plain text.