Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 Three (3) UK occasional "no ne...

Sage
Aslan93

Nokia Lumia 800 Three (3) UK occasional "no network" issue.

So i have this issue on my lumia.

I use a 3 uk microsim on a contract and occasionally it will lose network even in places like my room where the signal is top-top. I notice by the sign on the top let of the screen showing the empty bars with a cross or whatever it is. To get rid of it i just have to make a call and it finds signal as soon as it starts dialing it up. However sometimes i cannot recieve calls because of this so its quite a problem. I get it quite often. Network setup app has configured the setting alright so thats not the solution. Another thing, when i go to settings and choose the network manually i have two options for three uk that look exactly the same however it will only register to one. If i leave it like that and go back to setting after a while it will be set to automatic again..

This network problem doesnt happen with a vodafone sim. So its not the phone, one of my android had the same problem with this sim (moto razr) (it is designed for micro-sim so please dont tell me i put it in not accurately enough), However i can use the same sim with my iphone and the problem will never happen.

My android gives me more info when i search for networks so this is what i get:

3 3G (234-20)

3 2G (234-33)

3 3G (234-33)

Is anyone any good at netwoks ? Im pretty sure its the operator's problem but the iphone seems to be handling it better. Oh yeah and so do pleanty of other phones(N9, SGS2, various htc's..)

Any suggestions guys?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chris166

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 Three (3) UK occasional "no network" issue.

I get the same problem on my 710.

I dont think it is a network problem as all my other phones just roam onto the orange network when they lose the 3 network.

For some reason the lumias will not roam or the antennas in the phone are not very good.

Its a shame because the more i use this phone the more of a problem it becomes and i like the lumias and i have always had nokia but it looks like this is going to be part of my collection in the phone draw and i will be going else where.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

[ Edited ]

3 are now switching off Roaming onto orange in areas where they feel the 3 3G signal is adequate (That's by their standards though not by the customers)

I get a poor 3G signal at home sometimes but can't roam onto orange 2G or 3G as 3 have turned off roaming where I live so I will quite often get the No Signal issue until I move my phone or try to make a call.

Happened with My HTC Desire, LG O2X and Lumia 800

Sometimes, even in an area of good reception. I wouldn't get a signal until the phone was rebooted again

Ref the 3 '3' networks you were seeing

3 (234-20) is 3 UK

3 (234-33) both 2G and 3G are Orange

If roaming has been disabled in your area, selecting either of the Orange netowrks will result in either an access denied message or will result in the phone defaulting back to Automatic

If your handset is a 3UK branded one, it might not even let you choose the network manually (resulting in it defaulting back to automatic).

I think the problem you are experiencing is more an Issue with the 3 Network than the handset itself

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
Aslan93

Thanks for the info!
This is stupid from 3, even if it wants to switch networks then why should i lose signal? The other day i was on my android and i got a call to another number saying that they couldnt reach me on my 3, so i checked the phone and it had all bars (like usual) and 3g on and connected, i tried calling but it went straight to voicemail.
My lumia isnt branded btw and i have the latest 12070 fw installed for uk country variant. I am assuming and agreeing with the earlier post that its the carriers problem but how come my iphones never have that? and why does it try to switch networks when i have a good reception?
silly from 3..
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Hi Guys,

After reading this thread I think it would more beneficial if this issue is raised with the 3 network guys direct and there support pages.

Hopefully you will get a direct answer to the issue you are currently experiencing.

I have attached a linked to there support pages below:

http://www.three.co.uk/Support

Regards

Raoul_Duke
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Sage
kinaton

Another fob off post by Nokia!

If this was a network issue (and its not), I would have no signal issues with both my lumia 800 and my nokia e63.

E63 shows full signal, Lumia struggles to get 1 bar.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi kinaton,

If you are with a provider which will roam to other networks if those provide a better signal you will have to enable roaming in Settings>Mobile network for this to work.

If you consistently have a bad signal where you know other phones on the same network using the same SIM have not I suggest you have your Lumia checked at your nearest Nokia Care Point.

Let us know how you get on,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
kinaton

I spoke to 3uk executive office , who told me that they have flagged a serious battery issue with Lumia 800 with nokia.

As for sending to Nokia Care Centre, under UK law, a product should be replaced not repaired (source: trading standards)

I can't return to anyone until I have found an application to allow emails/sms/mms to be backed up along with my person data..  Oh wait yeah this pos phone can't do that can it.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi kinaton,

The battery performance has been improved with the most recent update which if not available already will be shortly.

Whether or not a product is replaced or repaired is not within the scope of the Nokia Discussion Boards, if you feel your Lumia is defective it has to be turned in to a Nokia Care Point to determine if it is and what action needs to be taken or alternatively if you are under contract you can contact your network operator. If you have an issue with the warranty terms for your Lumia I suggest you contact your local Nokia Care Line to receive further assistance.

While currently Windows Phone does not allow a backup of MMS/SMS messages it does backup/synchronize personal data like contacts. Email should still be available from your mailserver.

Hope this helped,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
hellopips

hello mate don't think its the network!! i bought a lumia 800 a week ago, tried 2 sim cards to try get 3g signal but still not getting 3g very much!! i put the same sim in a iphone4 and that just shows 3g no mater were i go with it, i really like the lumia 800 but if by end of this week if i cant get it to get good reception as my old iphone 3g its gone!!!:-(

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@hellopips,

Have you been able to try the 2 sims in another Lumia device?

Under settings on the Lumia and mobile nework is the highest connection speed set to 3G?

Regards

Raoul_Duke
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
hellopips

hi Raoul, yes the phone is set to 3g! i have not tried another lumia 800 but will pop into my o2 store and try another 1 to see if my phone is faulty or not, its just a bit odd that the other phones have better reception using the same sim.
regards hellopips
Please use plain text.
hellopips

ok i've updated my phone! 

appart from batterie life what other benefits do i get as cant find a detailed report on update many thanks.

p.s is any 1 having trouble with pics coming out blue???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

hellopips wrote:what other benefits do i get as cant find a detailed report on update

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Heads-up-on-Lumia-800-update-1600-2487-8107-12070/td-p/1361057

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
darlomrh

I have an O2 micro sim. I occasionally get no service but still able to make calls! I have the latest firmware. Suggests may be a bug? The lumia I have is not sim locked if that helps?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
FinalMacGyver

Im noticing the exact same thing on my Lumia 900 on AT&T. Ill go to use the phone and it shows no network. When I dial out it takes a second but then it recongnizes that the network is there and the bars show back up. It's a little un-settling as I work on call and need to have a working phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've had this problem 3 times now in the past 2 days, I am not on 3 I am on O2, I woke up this morning with no service, tried to make a call and instantly the signal came back, previously I started scanning networks etc and selecting O2 manually, it would register but still no service, the only thing that kicks it out of this is to try and make a call, its odd this as I remember my old nokia 8310 doing the exact same
Please use plain text.