Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 microphone problem (sounds lik...

Animali
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 800 microphone problem (sounds like a speaker phone)

I got my new Lumia about 1 week ago and after switching from N900 to Lumia 800 I have been getting lot of complaints from people whom I talk with.

Everybody starts the phone call the same way, by saying that is there something wrong, or am I in a speaker or a car or that it but no I'm talking to my Lumia keeping it in my hand at home or work, no speaker, no car, just normally talking.

I have noticed that this happens randomly when keeping it on my hand, but it's easier to replicate the problem always by holding it with only my shoulder hands free. Could it be due to Nokias new background noise reduction feature?

Anyone had the same issue or is it just my luck to have a faulty unit?

As I understand that even if I replace it, I cannot backup my SMS messages to the new unit, do they have a way in the Nokia Care etc.? :smileysad:

Nokia and Windows phone first impressions:

I see it coming there, but now it seems like the version 1.0 with something still missing from the old Nokia, that needs to go to version 2.0 soon with a taste of Nokia in it, hopefully this year...

Please use plain text.
Runjus

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 microphone problem (sounds like a speaker phone)

I got my new Lumia 800 in early february, and almost everyone i talk to complain about poor call quality. They barely can hear me. Pressing the phone to cheek and better aligning mic to mouth helps, but sure here is something wrong with mic or input signal level. I moved to Lumia 800 from iPhone 4, where no one complained. I have the latest fw (11501),hw(8255) and os(7.10.8107.79).
Please use plain text.
Animali

Ok your issue sounds just like mine.

I have just been getting so many complaints that this seems to be a real big issue.

I'm just thinking the easiest way to RMA the phone now, but the missing backup solution and moving back to N900 for couple of days is slowing me down.

I have the same versions also.

If it just would be as simple as order a new phone to your home with credit card and send the old one back in the same box...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

When you hold your phone to your ear are you covering the camera's flash with your hand? If so hold the phone so that your hand isn't tightly covering it.

The reason for this is because the second microphone (for noise cancelling) is located under the flash. Covering it completely can cause sound issues.

Personally i've had no issues with call quality and no one has said I sound funny or echo.
Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

[ Edited ]

Hi I had the same problem so I called Vodafone UK and they sent me a replacement phone and all has been fine with the replacement and when I spoke to Vodafone it seemed that they knew something about it, hence there was no problem it getting the phone replaced, so maybe call your provider a call and see what they say.

Please use plain text.
Runjus

@psychomania, I tried covering/uncovering flash without any noticeable difference. Sound level from mic is way too low. I can hear other party clear and loud. If I turn on "Speaker", then they can hear me as well.
@MrOddJob, I have probably got a faulty device too, as just a few of us is seeing this behaviour. Note! I have installed the Microsoft Lync 2010 app, I will uninstall and see if that make any change. If not, I'm going for a replacement.
Please use plain text.
Animali

Thanks for the info psychomania, I noticed the really small hole next to the flash. Tried to avoid it, but no difference, also tried without the cover, but the same result, no help.

I also have Lync, but I think the problems started before I installed it.

Today also noticed the famous battery issue, my battery lasted for 10h with no use at all during the day.

Noticed that my Discharge current was 300-500mA without doing anything.

Turned off all backgroung applications, tried turning BT, WLAN, 3G off, turned on airplane mode, rebooted and no help.

Finally when turning airplane mode back off, it rebooted suddenly and asked for a pin code and the current returned back to normal levels. ~140mA

Please use plain text.
harsh9vardhan

Hi,

It Happens with Lumia 710 Also :smileysad:

Animali wrote:

I got my new Lumia about 1 week ago and after switching from N900 to Lumia 800 I have been getting lot of complaints from people whom I talk with.

Everybody starts the phone call the same way, by saying that is there something wrong, or am I in a speaker or a car or that it but no I'm talking to my Lumia keeping it in my hand at home or work, no speaker, no car, just normally talking.

I have noticed that this happens randomly when keeping it on my hand, but it's easier to replicate the problem always by holding it with only my shoulder hands free. Could it be due to Nokias new background noise reduction feature?

Anyone had the same issue or is it just my luck to have a faulty unit?

As I understand that even if I replace it, I cannot backup my SMS messages to the new unit, do they have a way in the Nokia Care etc.? :smileysad:

Nokia and Windows phone first impressions:

I see it coming there, but now it seems like the version 1.0 with something still missing from the old Nokia, that needs to go to version 2.0 soon with a taste of Nokia in it, hopefully this year...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pedalen

Same problem here tried to reset the phone twice but when keeping the Lumia in normal position nothing can be heard on other phones.

Would be nice to know is this a known hardware problem or just random failures?

Please use plain text.
Animali

I also replaced my phone at the shop.

Now after 2 days of testing the phone it seems to be working just fine after testing it with all the people.

Has to be just some faulty unit, doesn't seem to be that common problem.

Maybe these quality issues are caused by Compal who manufactured the Lumia 800's.

If it were only manufactured in Salo Finland as back in the days the quality would be so much better.

Also tested the Audio Quality of the microphone and with Bose QC 15 it sounds just great.

Too bad I lost my SMS's, since there was no way to backup them.

Picture sync with Skydrive is great, but it just should backup so much more, like the whole phone. Application reinstalls took 2 hours (100 apps installed after 2 weeks).

After that I'm back to loving my NOKIA Lumia 800, just waiting for my Lumia 900 to get it upgraded and pass this on. If there just would be the Lumia 1000 with full keyboard, like N950, it would be perfect.

Please use plain text.
Runjus

[ Edited ]

I received my replacement Lumia 800 a couple of days ago, and I can confirm that the microphone problem is gone. The device is now working just fine.

Even the batter drain problem discussed elsewhere in this forum can't be seen. With light use and in "Edge" mode, the batter status is: 1 day 10 hours since charge, remaining 43%, 13 hour estimated time left (charged to 100% once).

FW: 1600.2483.8107.11501
Hw: 112.1402.2.4

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
turponekro

My Lumia 800 had this problem. I had it replaced. It worked fine for a couple of days, then the same problem appeared, but worse.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lupeders

Mine have been like that all the time. Always when I put the phone into the left shoulder thei cant hear me. 

I have upgradet, but no differense. Is this a common Lumina 800 problem? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've also had a few people tell me they can't hear me properly. I have to hold the phone close to my mouth and talk very loudly and slowly.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Yury_A

Same problem here also. It’s very annoying. As soon as I put the phone into the left shoulder the other party starts complaining that he cannot hear me. I'd never experienced such problem with other phones.

So is this a hardware failure or it is caused by poor designed microphone in Lumia 800 and there is no point sending the phone for repair?

lupeders wrote:

Mine have been like that all the time. Always when I put the phone into the left shoulder thei cant hear me. 

I have upgradet, but no differense. Is this a common Lumina 800 problem? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lupeders

Seems to me like a hardware failure.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cypsy

Agreed. I do have a Nokia Lumia 800 and have the same problem. Worse: I bought it from Vodafone Romania and after sending it to service they said that it's a normal behaviour of the phone, and I should not worry abot it.

How I should not worry when half the people I speak to saiD that they don't hear me ......

They didn't replaced my unit and I got stuck with a 440 euro piece of s!@#$ hardware.

I had problems with an E7 and now with Lumia.

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A NOKIA PHONE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Jype

My father have new lumia 710. When he call to me with that, the voice level is much lower than old Nokia phones. Also I think that high frequences are missing.. like there is something covering the microphone. We let the phone to Nokia Service, they changed a circuit board inside the phone, but when we get that back, the voice was similar. Back to Service, but now they said that this is a feature with Lumia phones - the backround noise reduction feature cuts also spoken voice. With old Nokia phones that noise reduction feature is possible to put off, but that is not possible with lumia. We also noticed that the microphone "angle" is more narrow with this Lumia phone - if the microphone is on correct place near your mouth, the voice is OK. Anyway, hope that in future software updates they add possibility to put that noise reduction feature off or otherwise make it better.
Please use plain text.
jambo89

I'm having this problem too, ive tried a factory reset, pretty sure its a h/w fault.

If I RMA with nokia how long does it usually take and is this a better option that sending it to T-mobile (my carrier).

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
geirholmarsson

I have this problem to, where is the mike input on the phone?

Please use plain text.