Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 820 Glass Smashed No Gorilla Glass

Advisor
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 820 Glass Smashed No Gorilla Glass

[ Edited ]

I bought this phone, only received it a few days ago and today its broken, i dropped the phone once and the whole glass is smashed now.

Was quite disapointed about this because i was under the imprssion that it had gorilla glass only to find the glass gets smahshed when dropped from a low level around knee level. Its also disapointed as i was an owner of Lumia 900 which had gorilla glass which i had dropped a few times since i had it and it never got a crack or anything. Very disapointed with Nokia as i went for the 820 because of the changable covers and the SD card and slightly smaller size. If i had known about no gorilla glass i'd never have got the phone, what a waste of money, i recommend not buying this phone as the screen broke way too easy.

What i'd like to know is how much do new screens cost for this phone, and i mean genuine ones from Nokia? or would i need to go to a care point? or are they available online somewhere on Nokia's website?

thanks

*note; edited posts removing comments not allowed under the forum guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 Glass Smashed No Gorilla Glass

Only a care point can help you with this as prices and availability vary all over the world. Nokia does not sell spare parts directly to end users and any links to parts sites are not allowed to be posted here.

Any complaints about products should be submitted directly to Nokia as this forum is for support only.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

While Corning Gorilla Glass is a well known brand name for a type of scratch resistant glass it is not the only manufacturer of this type of glass. The Nokia 820 has scratch resistant glass just not of the Corning brand. Also please be aware that any type of glass will and can scratch or break under the right circumstances. Using Corning Gorilla Glass is no guarantee for it not scratching or breaking.

For availability of spare parts please contact a local Nokia Care Point through the 'Contact us' sections on this page.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the replies. The 820 was dropped from knee level and completly smashed all over.i had dropped the 900 from higher levels and it didn't break.

It was a mistake that the 820 didn't come with this glass.

I'll check with the care point today how much it is and i'll post back here!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Doesn't really matter where or how it was dropped. I've seen an 820 fall from shoulder hight onto solid laminate floor with zero damage. Also seen an iphone 4s dropped from knee height and it's front and back toughened glass cracked, so sometimes luck can just be with or against you as toughened glass isn't always able to save it.

If you feel that isn't acceptable you should submit a complaint directly to Nokia as there is nothing that can be done on this forum to help you and complaining here will achieve nothing.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

To leave feedback or complaints with Nokia, click the Nokia Support link at the bottom of this page.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tanayy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Tanayy wrote:

i am NOT going to buy lumia 820 because of this problem...

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Can-anyone-from-Nokia-please-answer-why-Nokia-Lumia-820-...

Thanks for sharing this with us.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Niels79

I have my 820 for just a month now and I discovered two big scratches on my display today, no idea where they came from. On further inspection there are also many tiny scratches. I am always very careful, not to carry my phone in the same pocket as my keys and not to put it on the table glass down, etc. I have never had any scratches on my sreens until now, my 2 year old Nexus S is still scratchless. I also hate phone covers and protectionscreens as they are to big, bubble and decrease the phone's sensitiveness. I really liked the phone but this is obviously a major disappointment for me and I am returning this phone because of this. The screen just simply is NOT scratch resistant either.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

The scratches did not appear by themselves either.Screen protectors and cases are made for added protection as much as they might take away some look from your phone they give you added protection.
The debate on gorilla glass has been discussed here many times,so it pointless arguing about it.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
2005MAXX

I've had the same problem with this phone once from about 3 feet off the ground and another time from 1 foot off the ground both times on to a hard wood floor great phone just sucks that it feels like i have an i-phone

Please use plain text.
olgnid

I bought my Nokia lumia 820 in Abu Dhabi airport, I managed to use and enjoy it for only 7 weeks and got a similar problem already. The glass starts showing cracks underneath only as the top surface is still smooth and you cannot feel the crack, it is still working but I cannot login to my phone anymore as the glass looks like has gaps from underneath. I did not even dropped it, it gets its crack while inside my pocket together with my other Nokia phone N97 mini. I brougth it already to a Nokia care center but up to now no news when they will get the replacement glass, more than 3 weeks has passed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AsifYoosuf

im confused with this mobile.... today i just want to buy,but when i see the comments im scared of it. please suggest me i like to buy 820,which is good or bad to long use?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Depends on the user and how the phone will be used. If you will base you decision on the experience of others, that is up to you.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

AsifYoosuf wrote:
im confused with this mobile.... today i just want to buy,but when i see the comments im scared of it. please suggest me i like to buy 820,which is good or bad to long use?

My wife has had her 820 since December last year, it's been dropped multiple times and lives in a handbag. The screen is still undamaged on only has very minor hairline scratches on it that can barely be seen. So it's as tough as any other modern mobile in my view.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lewyz

Well I come home and opened my door on Friday night and my 820 Lumia drop from about knee height, put it on charger when got inside next morning went to get phone not working I found it had cracked Screen. Ok was the drop last night. So here I am with a $658 product from Nokia that's been made with little thought for the consumer. A phone that cracks the glass from a minor drop. The glass goes right to the edge of the phone, the phone is as heavy as a house brick.

I have taken it to be repaired it will be ready in 3 days at a grand cost of $180.00... I need my phone going thats why I brought it. Nokia Don't Care is a good Slogan, I took the phone back to Harvey Norman they didn't care, just advised me take it to a phone repairer in Penrith to get it fixed faster. Let's see what happens.

I will send Nokia a Bill for the repair because of the way they have designed this machine it is not fair to the consumer to have to have a weak machine like this. And I wished it would have happened within 21 Days I would have took it back to Harvey Norman, under consumer law you can not sell defected machines like this to people. Glass screens breaking so easly is not accpetable. It's daylight robbery, there working like crooks. I am in the right mind to take it all back to Harvey Norman and let them have the Phone and Optus Account as I only had it three months.

I should ring the Police. If some one steals something valuable they can goto goal. If a company like nokia robs you because of faulty products  they just ignore our complaints.

I am really cranky withnokia because of the Screen on this phone

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lewyz

So here I am today I have rang the repairer that said it would be fixed today at $180.00 and now they tell me Thursday. I said just forget it I will pick up the phone.  So I rang Nokia Customer Care I am posting it into them. And I should have to pay around $120.00 I hope. The thing is if this happens again I will taking the whole phone and account back to Nokia as a Fault Product. If a Multi Million/Billion Dollar company can't make a screen that doesn't break so easy they shouldn't be in Business.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

The phone was not advertised as shock and scratch proof. Have you ever heard of Xperia Z and the Samsung S4 active? Those are certified, you can go to court if they shatter and experience liquid ingress. With the Lumia 920, you broke it, no one else did.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lewyz

[ Edited ]

It was advertised as a quality product and the price I paid was not cheap so a quality product does not crack under normal use and to drop a phone is normal use. If Nokia get the Window Cleaner curse it is their fault for the lack of consumer respect.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

It is the customer's responsibility to take care of their belongings.
Please use plain text.