Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 820 - issue re Hotmail and Facebook co...

LuluGirl
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 820 - issue re Hotmail and Facebook contacts

Hi all, I'm a new user to smart phones and the 820 so apologies if the following are dumb questions!

1.  I've set up hotmail on my 820, but it seems to be on all the time which is not what I want.  I want to be able to sign in if I want to use it, and sign out otherwise (not least of which to protect my account in case I lose the phone).  I can't see a sign out option.  Can anyone tell me how to do this.

2.  When I set up my hotmail account, it brought across all my contacts under People which is not how I want my phone set up.  I want my hotmail to be a separate entity to my contacts.  Can I do this, and if so, how?!

3.  I've also setup Facebook and, as above, it's on permanently and has brought across all my FB contacts.  I would like to sign in to FB if I want to use it, and defintely don't want my FB friends as contacts on the mobile.  Can I do this?

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 - issue re Hotmail and Facebook contacts

[ Edited ]

Your main Microsoft account (your hotmail in this case) is always on by default and it will always carry and sync your default phone contacts, which you cannot get rid of without fully resetting the phone. If you want to keep contacts and Hotmail account separate, I can suggest that you create another Microsoft account (hotmail, live, outlook.com) and copy only your phone contacts to it. Then you reset your phone (Settings > About > Reset your phone), whereby you will lose everything on it and set it up again, using the new Microsoft account as the default one. You can then set up your operational Hotmail account as a separate Hotmail account under email+accounts.

You can set up a security lock on your phone to prevent access to it in case you lose it.

In People you can filter which contacts you want to be shown.

Please use plain text.
LuluGirl

Thanks for your reply 93tid.  I'll try it out and see what happens!

Any ideas on how to stop Facebook populating the list as it's done to my main email at the moment?

I've looked for a security lock on the phone, but haven't found anything as yet :smileysurprised:(

I've also tried filtering contacts, but have only seen an option for creating groups of people which is not what I want.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

People > ... (three dots in bottom right corner of screen) > Settings > Filter my contacts

Settings > Lock Screen > Password > On (one possible security option)

Once you reset the phone everything will be wiped. When you set up the new MS account as default, your general use Hotmail account contacts will not be invaded by FB contacts.

Please use plain text.
LuluGirl

Great, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RalphJ

Wow, that was so easy! I spent days trying to figure it out.  Thanks so much~

Please use plain text.