Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 900, 15 more things required for a...

sgiri

Nokia Lumia 900, 15 more things required for a better future

1. 12 mp camera like N8

2. External memory card

3. Feature like Apple Siri, the mobile operation with voice - a real mobility

4. barcode image reader

5. Full HD and HDMI connectivity like N8

6. Innovative very smooth touch, better than apple touch

7. is it possible for projector in Nokia for presenting power point apps

8. 10 hours video battery life

9.  Dual SIM

10. Messaging through GPS

11. 128 bit security for data communication

12. 100 mbps down link and 50 mbps up link

13. high quality sound which will not affect the ear drum, 360 degree sound

14. Bluetooth 3.0 & NFC

15. 3D or 3D color display

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia Lumia 900, 15 more things required for a better future

Messaging through GPS? That made me laugh :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Realistically:

Higher screen resolution

More RAM

More onboard mass memory

Presumably better battery life

Proper bluetooth support

Lower price point, because we all know it's going to be overpriced given how far behind the competition it will be.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

As very few people in the world have actually even touched a Lumia-900 , it may even be a good idea to wait a while, and then make requests or criticism from first hand experience ? #justsayin :smileywink:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

And very few people will with those specs and the likely price. but most of all the countries it's released in. It's missing out on some of the most popular smartphone hungry regions there.

The specs speak for themselves, anyone who is even remotely expirenced in mobiles can see this.
Please use plain text.
Sage
N8one

I think alot of people seem to get stuck inside their own mentality when looking at official figures. 

I work with and sell mobile phones for a living. I sell alot of phones.

The amount of people who know what it  means when i say a handset has 512mb ram, or even care that a handset has 1.2ghz dual core? 

The fact is the majority of the market dont know jack about the inside of phones. They want a phone that looks good and works. 

The biggest market are people that want to use facebook, send alot of emails and text, take pictures, listen to music and have their phones do this as quickly, easily and efficiently as possible. (as well as making calls of course).

Lets look at this another way: what percentage of Android users have bothered to put a custom rom onto their handset? 99.9% of joe public give me a blank stare when i suggest this possibility in store. 

When it comes down to plain facts, the average user cant tell the difference between the quality of the Lumia screens to the "technically" better S2 screen, or the difference between apples 1.2 dual core and the 1.4ghz single core (If anyone accuses a lumia of running slow i would laugh in their face). 

bartmanekul wrote:

The specs speak for themselves, anyone who is even remotely expirenced in mobiles can see this.

Fact is the biggest mobile markets out there are people who get a new phone once every 2 years- they have little to none real experience with mobiles other than texting, emailing, playing games and taking pictures. Its all good and well spouting big numbers, but at the end of the day, they dont care as long as it works well. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, but specs still play a part. How do you otherwise explain the success of the SGS2, which won many awards and is widely considered one of the best phones out there.

Most of the reason being, it works well. It has a good camera, highend processor, enough RAM to make it run well, etc etc.

And reliability and customer service. Something Nokia has gotten much worse at in recent years, myself having suffered this many times.

People will go with the latest and greatest, and also with what's reliable. For many people, Nokia has become a name not to trust.

I think Nokias current situation and sales figures bear me out on that one.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

bartmanekul wrote:
Yes, but specs still play a part. How do you otherwise explain the success of the SGS2, which won many awards and is widely considered one of the best phones out there.

Good marketing and hefty financial incentives for certain retailers to push the product to customers also played a massive part in it's success. 

Some people do buy based on spec, it still amazes me when people talk about megapixels as a measurement of quality, even more amazing when stores fool people into thinking this too. In some cases the same can be said about processors or number of cores.

Comparing one OS to another purely based on certain specs is often utterly pointless to anyone other than a spec junky. But sadly in some cases specs sell the product regardless of quality or refinement.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I am well aware of that, however as said it's still widely regarded as one of the best phones (if not the *the* best) out at the moment, advertsing or not.

Anyone denying this can look at any number of awards it's gotten, as well as the sales figures, and better yet, try one for themselves.

In addition, in most reviews they compare it to either the iphone or SGS2. Theres a reason for that.

When did you last see a review for a phone compared to a Nokia without specific reason (i.e. for camera).

Yes MP is not the be all and end all, but it helps in deciding. I'm not going to buy a phone with 5 MP compared to 8, why? Because 9 times out of ten they won't have put the effort into the 5mp software as the 8mp software.

While most don't buy on spec, the spec has to be there to make it a good phone.

The L900 with it's display and small text (this complaint for the L800 will be far less with the bigger screen on the L900) along with dated hardware will show in sales.

And undoubtably phone performance. It's not comparing just by spec, but how that spec will affect it. Even if it's different OS, it's still got to perform well in most areas.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

As someone who strongly considers design, materials and build to be important I could never agree that the galaxy S2 is the best phone on the market. Certain awards can be bought, as can certain retailers and reviewers. I have tried one, wasn't keen on build or feel of it but it is nice to use, very fast but not quite as slick as a lumia though.

bartmanekul, do you have a Lumia or any interest in purchasing one?

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

N:w00t:ne is right, when he says that many people have no clue about specs. People go into a shop and basically say give me a phone. Very few people will walk in saying I want an 12MP cam, or I want to be able to add a large mmc card. Or even have a clue about what processor is, let alone a dual core running at 1.2mhz. You say the word RAM to most of these people and they will start to think you have changed topic and are now talking about farm animals.

Having said that though having all the specs in the world is not necessarily going to make the phone better. My old E7 running at 680mhz compared to the a brand new galaxy s2, is just as fast in most cases, can download similar apps and is just as smooth with scrolling etc.

Awards are not the be all and end all, with many awards being handed out purely based on sales, many being bought, and very few are given based on the actual ability of the phone. With andriod based phones sales on the rise, and the hacking of the andriod OS also on the rise, not one of those awards have taking into account the security (or lack there of), of the OS. If they did the phones including the galaxy would fail.

If people were told more of how insecure the phone really is, sales would drop so fast, that the stores could not give the phones away. Iphone is not that much better either on the security side.

People want a phone that works reliably, they want to be able to access facebook, twitter etc easily, they want to send and recieve messages, make phone calls, keep a calender, and maybe for the more advanced send an email. Oh and the kids like to play games (big and little kids).

The new lumia 900 based solely on specs has  come a long way from the 800. Now able to do video calls, able to use 4G, use html5, 8MP cam, etc.

Yes NFC is something i think needs adding sooner rather than later and yes it would be nice to have more ram on board. Personally, when i buy a phone I do research the phone, start with the spec (only because i have a specific requirements and i'm a nerd as my brother keeps telling me). then i look at the design, form and function.

I also believe they need a WP7 phone with a keyboard like the E7 (and all communicator series phone)  It has a brilliant size screen, it's sad it's limited to 800 x 480 especially when you consider it comes with some great video formats and codecs. having said that my E7 has HDMI w / hd video, but honestly have never used it. however if i was to do presentation or simialr it would be handy.

As it was the 800 I swore i would never buy, the 900 on the other hand might just be the next phone, but only time will tell. Still loving my E7 and cant wait for Belle. As for price I always buy my phone outright, so the price they ask is the price I pay. So if they come up with NFC onboard along with the keyboard plus all the other lumia 900 features then i am there with cash in hand the day they become available.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

'Slick' is very subjective don't you think? I think the SGS2 was slicker, but then that's a matter of opinion. To me the Lumia and SGS2 are too different to compare. One being highend, the other mid-high.

Yes awards can be bought, I have said this on other forums before, but it's has won many, and across a wide spectrum. At some point it has to be conceeded that not all will have been bought.

If you want to talk awards, the Lumia 'won' an award where allegedly it was done by actual customer reviews, yet it hadn't even been released at that point. Given the massive budget given for the Lumia promotion, I really think finger pointing is wrong.

Design and materials obviously mean far more to you than me. I got the N8, because I once thought like you.

However, not much thought had gone into that. A large, very slippery body which scratched far far easier than the promos would suggest! I got rid after 2 weeks, and got a C7.

The N8 had a signal problem, my first C7 went dead, completely, and my replacement C7 has many issues which Nokia support didn't do anything about, just sent it back.

You can't categorically say what people want a phone for. If you really look at what people use their phones for, and I mean really look at individuals use, you'll see huge differances.

My mum, of all people, likes to sync with outlook. My Uncle like playing games. The more graphically pleasing paid for kind. My brothers like FB, texting and simple games - perhaps the stereotype your looking for.

Getting back to design and materials, it is important, but not just the specs. While a single unibody anodized (sp?) aluminum body sounds good, for me it was totally impracticle.

The motorola razr has a surround of toughened plastic, and a back of kevlar. A gimmick I thought, yet it actually works very well. The kevlar is very nice to grip - helpful given the thickness of the phone - and is far harder to mark or scratch than any phone I have had previously.

Please use plain text.
Sage
N8one

[ Edited ]
At the end of the day, windows phone 7 is a very new (relatively) platform. It has some minor issues, but all in all its a fantastic platform for nokia to build on and become the fore runner in windows phone.

I would much rather they put their influence into WP7 rather than die out with symbian- or worse still, become lost in a sea of poorly designed and cheap Andoid handsets. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

If you don't like it, don't reply, no need to be rude about it.

I know it's new, but all my points still stand. Nokia is continuing mistakes, and they are not treating customers as they should.

To say poorly designed Android handsets just smacks of fanboyism. While there are bad ones to be fair, you cannot blanket them all when there's blatently some very high quality ones there. Both household phones (SGS2 and Razr) far outweigh anything Nokia has to offer at the moment. That's not the way it should be.

At the moment, it's very much Nokia that's poorly designed yet expensive handsets. I know this is a support forum, but even so the faults are glaring and most definately shouldn't be there.

Android imo would have been a better bet, but it's Windows and they need to make a go of it.

But all these issues just shout of the same problems - unreliable handsets, awful support and commonplace faults. These faults are not with W7, so it's Nokia, making the same mistakes over again.

Classic example - you can't drag and drop. You *have* to have third party software (Zune) which is inexcusable when the phone is actually capable of doing it. By all means give Zune as an option but don't limit the users to it.

@ pyschomania

My points are right and it's obvious.

What's happening about the audio problem? Nothing, no update, no confirmation it's even a fault.

The battery problem, wheres the update? Will it even solve it?

Certificates for outlook not working?

The end call problem which hasn't even been commented upon?

All handsets have problems, not this many, but it's how it's handeled that says it all.

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained offensive comment towards another user. Nokia Support Discussion does not accept offensive comments on the forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

1. 12MP is overkill and just showing off.
2. A waste of space, it would significantly add to bulk.
5. How many people would really use HDMI on their phone?
6. Can you point to technology they should be using? It's very accurate in my experience, they might just need to tweak sensitivity a little.
7. Years away, surely.
8. That would need a miracle, video is a huge drain on processing and power.
9. Again, how many people need two SIMS? It's a power user feature and this is a mass market phone.
12. Using what technology? That's practically wireless N, you can't expect that from a mobile data connection.
13. How can sound NOT affect the ear drum? And "360 degree sound"? You can already do positional audio with headphones but what's the need for it on a phone?
15. Again, why? Nobody is using 3D TVs, it's an even more redundant feature for a phone.

Very bizzare, and often impossible, feature requests IMO. I'm starting to even wonder if you're being serious. 
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

.... as to the Siri point, check out 'Ask Ziggy' from the Marketplace - it's pretty good

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

sometime I feel embarrassed for not accepting the truth even if it challenges my fanboy's belief in me. I've learned to accept the truth and this earns me respect from some people. Their's no denying the fact that sgs2 is the best phone in the market, followed by both apple's iphone 4 and 4s. Apple's camera is leading (no argument, just take photos from each phone and compare. It's that simple). I'm still waiting for nokia's decent smartphone. I threw away my n97 and for a while, I'll stick with my n95. It takes near decent photos. No hate, just my opinion.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

icenode wrote:
1. 12MP is overkill and just showing off.
2. A waste of space, it would significantly add to bulk.
5. How many people would really use HDMI on their phone?
6. Can you point to technology they should be using? It's very accurate in my experience, they might just need to tweak sensitivity a little.
7. Years away, surely.
8. That would need a miracle, video is a huge drain on processing and power.
9. Again, how many people need two SIMS? It's a power user feature and this is a mass market phone.
12. Using what technology? That's practically wireless N, you can't expect that from a mobile data connection.
13. How can sound NOT affect the ear drum? And "360 degree sound"? You can already do positional audio with headphones but what's the need for it on a phone?
15. Again, why? Nobody is using 3D TVs, it's an even more redundant feature for a phone.

Very bizzare, and often impossible, feature requests IMO. I'm starting to even wonder if you're being serious. 

Many of the features/ requests made earlier are already in many nokia phones. 12MP camera for instance is in the N8 which has been around for time.

The E7 has the ability to connect USB drives to them, and many phone models before the E7 have built in memory card slots. 16Gb of storage is just enough for some people, after all Iphone come with more than 16GB these days.

Hdmi whilst something i dont use myself even though it is built in to my phone, certainly can be handy, especially if you say for instances goes round to a family members or relatives house and say want to show off the your childs first steps that were recorded on your mobile phone. or show off some pic's of a recent holiday etc. There is a place for these kinds of technology.

Dual Sims option is in a large number of nokia phone already, and is craved for by many people, who want to the option to carry one phone, but wants to keep home and work separate, many of the new asha series phone have it built in.

If you hd hdmi builtin it would be easy to hook up to a projector to do presentations, but also there are some chinese made phones that have a low res. 640x480 projector built in.

It would be nice to have a 10 hour video battery, 10 hours might be pusshing it a little, but certainly more than what we have would be nice

100Mb/s downloads are possible using the new 4G phone networks, that the limit of the service but it is possible. Oh and wireless 'n' is 300Mb/s

3d TV's by the way are huge in Australia. in fact I just bought a 65inch 3d led tv myself. how practical it is in a mobile well, i really dont care about it that much, but for my house, i'm not spending $600000 on the house alone and then using some old CRT based TV. Having said that 3d rendering engines are a different kettle of fish altogether, if you are wanting smooth scrolling and hiugh quality game play or watch a fast moving image, then having descent video engine in the phone is crucial.

Honestly whilst there maybe thing that some wont use in the other persons list, you really would want to make a phone that is complete to cover as many people as possible, if you want it to be sucessful and cost effective

Please use plain text.