So, when I got home today, I connected my new Nokia Lumia 900 to my computer. It installed the "USB" portion of the software but it isn't recognized as the actual phone so when I try to use it with Zune, it says I have nothing connected.
So after all of that I notice I have a Windows update. I let my computer restart and it says the update is installing. So I think everything is going good but I was wrong. I plugged my phone back in and let it do its thing and it still won't recognize it. After this, I went to my Windows update history and it says that the update was unsuccessful!
I really have no clue what to do. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them plenty of times; same with the Zune client. I'm really starting to regret not getting the iphone now because of all of this frustration. Please help!
What version of Windows are you using?
How did you uninstall the driver (Device Manager)?
When you go to View Details in Windows Update, what's the reason for the failure (error code number)?
I recently got the lumia 900 and I too had connection problems with my computer running window 7. I tried absolutely everything made available including 2 new phones through the ATT&T warranty program, uninstalling and reinstalling zune, new cables, talking to tech support, etc. But nothing worked. I was also having issues getting service pack 1 for windows 7 to install on my computer but was not sure if the two were related. I tried connecting my phone to my old computer at the in-laws running window xp and I was able to connect, so I was convinced it was not the phone. So I decided to do what I was considering doing to fix the service pack 1 issue and that was to reinstall windows 7. You can do a safe install so you don't lose programs or files. First I unistalled Zune, not sure this was necessary but I did. After the windows safe install there were approximately 150 windows updates to re-install. But before I tried to install service pack 1, I connected my phone to the computer and it said the device was working properly. I then reinstalled Zune and I was now able to connect my phone to my computer. Not sure why this worked but apparantly something in my computer was keeping it from recognizing the phone. Don't know if this is the solution for everyone, but nothing else I tried would work. I have an open case file with Nokia and I am going to call them and discuss what I did which will hopefully help someone determine what the root cause was and create an easier fix.