Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 900 shutting down

Nokia Lumia 900 shutting down

About a week ago, I bought a Lumia 900 and it has gone off on its own accord everyday since I bought it at least once. I have tried to replicate the problem, no luck. I hard reset my phone, it got worse, some feedback please?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GoanGeek

Re: Nokia Lumia 900 shutting down

By any chance .. you are pressing the power button while holding the phone either while talking or browsing perhaps?

It happened to be a couple of times, and I realized that my palm was or the thumb would accidentally switch the phone off from the power button.

Just a thought
Please use plain text.

I also thought that was the problem, but two things point otherwise,

1. I have to soft reset to get it to come on

2. It has happened whilst it is on the table

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bmb7872

I'm having the same issue with my lumia 900. Happens to me several times per day. I took off the battery saving option thinking that might had something to do with it, but still happening on a regular basis. It will even shut down over night, rendering the alarm useless. Ironic I bought my phone around the same time you did, end of June.
Please use plain text.
bhl31

I have been having the exact same issue with my nokia lumia 900. I found that the problem actually worsened over time to a point where I had to reset my phone about 5-10 times every couple hours. I just reset my phone so I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to wait a few days to see if the problem returns before I actually send this into the shop for repairs. For reference, I purchased my phone about two weeks ago with Rogers.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Enesty

Lumia 900 shutting off randomly

[ Edited ]

Hey there,

i saw threads over at wpcentral.com and xda-developers, where people had similar problems, but nothing here in the official forums.

I got my Lumia 900 last week, and encountered this error allready after the first day of usage. The phone will just shut down and won't come back on with a normal press on the power button (battery is not empty by the way). The only way to get the phone running again is to do a soft-reset (hold volume-down and power buttons for ten seconds, then press the power button again). As you can imagine, this is really annoying. As I said, I'm not the only one with this problem, but we are all clueless what to do, rather than sending the phone back for repair/replacement. Can we get an official statement if the problem is known (and will maybe be hotfixed via phone update), or if we just had bad luck and got a lemon?

My phone is made in korea and runs under OS-Version 7.10.8779.8

Thanks alot,

Dom

Edit: my bad, just saw another thread here (http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Nokia-Lumia-900-shutting-down/td-p/1487042) with the same issue, very sorry for that. Would be still nice if we could get a statement for the issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Coda

Got the phone less than a week ago and it reboots on it's own, when I plug it in to charge switched off is starts up, applications fail.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AARocha

Re: Lumia 900 shutting off randomly

[ Edited ]

In previously date (06.08.2012), not too long ago, I had my cellphone sent to the Repair Center, I stated that the device, Lumia 900 was and still having issues with its electrical connectivity, which made the device stop working while in possession. Issues such as fallow, continued to show after the returning from the repair Center ; fast power consumption, troubles to turn power back on after shutdown, unexpected shutdowns while charging and sometimes inability to continuing the charging process, living device battery with less than its full capacity..

Sadly, the conclusion  given by the Repair Center, after had the device for only one day, was that the device had a  uncharged battery and reported that only action taken by the technicians was a simply recharge. Notice that the leak of power in the battery may be caused from the device fast consumption. The device was fully changed when the first issue appeared in 06.08.2012, causing the phone to not power back on. 

Therefore, disappointed with the provided service from the repair center, I had kept the device into this present moment, to observe its performance, but as mentioned above many more problems appeared it’s since. In addition, I have noticed that some of the issues comes to life several hours after playing games, using the internet or listen to music. I have kept the device on battery save mode, but this does not help very much.  Whatever this is, it is causing the device to turn off when the battery still between 60 to 80 percent of its battery life, averagely, it takes 40 minutes to turn it back on. Today, I am have fully recharged the device. 

Does Nokia technicions have some answer for us??? By the way my phone is 3 weeks old..

Please use plain text.
360spencer

I am having a similar Issue. My Lumia 900 is just shutting down / screen goes blank, buttons on bottom stay light. I have to reset the phone to get it back and even then my phone has had issues today restarting.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TonyR65

My new Nokia Lumia 900 is also shutting itself down about once or twice a day. If a solution isn't offered here soon it's going back as I can't rely on it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TonyR65

I sent my phone back to the factory (under warranty). They opened it up, checked the battery and other components, cleaned it, rebooted all the software (it was already up to date) and sent it back.

It hasn't fixed the problem: it switched off twice within the first 6 hours of getting it back! The rate of random switch offs seems to have reduced lately, I don't know why. I think it must be a software problem. It's clear from searching the web that this is a reasonably common problem with the Lumia 900 so it's either a Nokia or Windows fault. I hope they release a software update that fixes it soon, or at least acknowledge the issue.

Please use plain text.
honda837

I have the same problem with my lumia 900.
Sometimes want to make a call, push the power button, nothing happened.
The phone is in lethargy. This happens twice or 3 times a day.

So, what's the solution ??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shae269

I've had my Nokia Lumia 900 since March I believe. It's been shutting down by itself for about 2 months . It actually just did it nearly an hour ago. It took about that ling for it to even come back on. I really wish I could take this phone back but in site its too late.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TonyR65

Mine is still doing it. It's such a good phone in all other ways, but because I can't rely on it, I would get rid of it if I could, but I'm tied to a 24 month contract. It is disappointing that there appears to be no support for this problem from Nokia or Microsoft.

Please use plain text.
slider388

what happened to yours? mine unfortunately started doing it too. i just sent it to nokia's repair center. Did you do the same?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TonyR65

I sent it back for the second time - it came back but had exactly the same problem - it shut down within about an hour. So I took it back to my provider and they replaced it with a Samsung S3 mini. Won't use Nokia again now I have swapped to Android I think.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AARocha

How can I get my lumia 900 replaced?.

I sent it two time to get fixed by Nokia. After they have changed battery and reset, the phone still showing same issues.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AARocha

Hey

Why does Lumia 900 shutdowns by itself??

I bough a Lumia 900 and 14 day after purchase the device constantly shutdowns without any warnings. It is not the battery.

I had the phone for 9 months now and in the same period, I have sent it to Nokia to be repaired two times and a third time last Friday.

What causes the device to do such action???

Do you think Nokia should send a new device??

Could I receive a upgrade from Nokia to repair the inconvenience caused by issue?? 

Diagnoses 

First time ; Phone was 75% charged when I first sent it to Nokia. Services returned the device, stating that the battery was not charged. *No comments on this!!

*Problem continue*

Second time sending; Battery 98% charged, Service replaced phone power button and battery.

*Problem continue* and another problem come along as the device started to select the tile on its own.

Third time; battery 100% charged, Service still hasn't return the phone. 

Last I had the phone, I had to turned it back on 7 times in one hour period. There are periods that the device works fine, lets say two in two weeks the problems occurs again.

Please use plain text.
slider388

Dear AARocha,

i really Doubt that Nokia Care service DOES NOT Care about its customers...i resent my phone for the second time, and it has been 6 days that they have it without even opening the case Status, which may take about two weeks...

they maybe aware of the Hardware issue, but they are not ready to replace the device, but they would keep on trying to repair it via (software updates) which would never resolve a hardware problem...so i think, if you're lucky enough to have a service provider such and under contract, you should ask them to replace it for you or upgrade to another phone (Not Nokia of course) since even the newer models suffer from the same exact problems such as the 920 and others which you can find in google...the worst part is how they handle customers when they are already aware of a major hardware problem...very disappointing.... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AARocha

[ Edited ]

Dear Slider388

I am under a 3 years mobile contract, and I have 2 years of manufacture warranty on my Lumia. They have replaced the faulty phone for a new one of the same model, as stated on the service web page. But I donot want to accept the same model, as has been so many similar complaints about it.

Do you know if I have legal rights to refuse the remedy offered ?

Can I demand an upgrade or other brand replacement from the phone provider ?

I have prove that the device had the fault before 6 months, to be more clear 16 days after purchased.

What do I have to do if they refuse to do what i want, Can I cancel my contract ?? 

By the way , I am in Europe and dipite of you comment, I woundnt mind the 920.

Please use plain text.